Snake skin expert?

fromchaptico

While having the bushes along my foundation trimmed, we found a shed snakeskin. I am hoping there is someone in the area who can tell me whether it is from a black snake or from a copperhead. I looked the two up online, and it isn't easy to tell the difference - the sheds look very much the same. I don't want to have a snake treatment that kills black snakes because I know that they are harmless and beneficial. If it is a copperhead, on the other hand, it's gotta go!! (All of its relatives too!!)

Any suggestions on who locally might know something like this? There are places you can mail the skins to for identification, but I would like to know asap.

Thoughts?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There isn't a "snake treatment that kills snakes" that is legal in Maryland.... just fyi.

But I don't want copperheads around my property either.

While having the bushes along my foundation trimmed, we found a shed snakeskin. I am hoping there is someone in the area who can tell me whether it is from a black snake or from a copperhead. I looked the two up online, and it isn't easy to tell the difference - the sheds look very much the same. I don't want to have a snake treatment that kills black snakes because I know that they are harmless and beneficial. If it is a copperhead, on the other hand, it's gotta go!! (All of its relatives too!!)

Any suggestions on who locally might know something like this? There are places you can mail the skins to for identification, but I would like to know asap.

Thoughts?
Here you go! I learned this as a child and it's always stuck with me. You will be able to see the pattern on the snake skin to determine non-venomous vs. venomous.

http://www.dausettrails.com/knowsnakes.htm

Another nifty way is to look at the belly scales towards the end of the snake's tail. There is a special scale called the anal plate, or vent. The scales from the vent to the end of the tail will change depending on whether it is venomous or not.

If the scales are divided, then the snake is non-venomous. If the scales are singular, the snake is venomous.

Remember it this way: Non-venomous is two words- so the snake has two scales. Venomous is one word- so the snake has one scale. The chart below shows belly scales from vent to end of tail.

fromchaptico

Wow, you guys are quick and helpful! Thank you! To Gilligan, maybe I misspoke on the snake treatment - maybe it doesn't kill snakes, just scares them away? I'm not sure. I don't know much about it, since it wasn't something I was even considering until this morning! To Kwillia, that is great information. The skin I have has only one scale on the belly, but I am not sure what part of the snake I am seeing - unfortunately, the skin was not intact.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wow, you guys are quick and helpful! Thank you! To Gilligan, maybe I misspoke on the snake treatment - maybe it doesn't kill snakes, just scares them away?

I think it's called "Snake Away" or something like that. Pretty sure that Lowes sells it. It's like moth balls...

Wow, you guys are quick and helpful! Thank you! To Gilligan, maybe I misspoke on the snake treatment - maybe it doesn't kill snakes, just scares them away? I'm not sure. I don't know much about it, since it wasn't something I was even considering until this morning! To Kwillia, that is great information. The skin I have has only one scale on the belly, but I am not sure what part of the snake I am seeing - unfortunately, the skin was not intact.
The key is towards the bottom of the snake skin. You will see the belly then a break for the poop-shoot. Below that spot is where you need to look for the cell division/non-division.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Here you go! I learned this as a child and it's always stuck with me. You will be able to see the pattern on the snake skin to determine non-venomous vs. venomous.

http://www.dausettrails.com/knowsnakes.htm

Another nifty way is to look at the belly scales towards the end of the snake's tail. There is a special scale called the anal plate, or vent. The scales from the vent to the end of the tail will change depending on whether it is venomous or not.

If the scales are divided, then the snake is non-venomous. If the scales are singular, the snake is venomous.

Remember it this way: Non-venomous is two words- so the snake has two scales. Venomous is one word- so the snake has one scale. The chart below shows belly scales from vent to end of tail.

Good info!

Good info!
When we moved from the city (Forestville) to the boondocks my mom took us to the Clinton nature center so we could learn about what was going to be in the woods with us. We learned all of this and tried it out on every snake and snakeskin we could get our hands on.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
When we moved from the city (Forestville) to the boondocks my mom took us to the Clinton nature center so we could learn about what was going to be in the woods with us. We learned all of this and tried it out on every snake and snakeskin we could get our hands on.

That's really cool!

fromchaptico

Unfortunately, I am not sure what I have here. A piece of the middle?? I don't see what looks like a head or tail - but I am no expert, so who knows. I wonder if the Clinton nature center is still there, and could identify the skin for sure? I garden and have pets, so a copperhead hanging out right outside the house does not fly :)

R

rhenderson

Before you get all worked up about treatments for snakes, consider how long it has been since you looked in the area you found the shed skin. It could have been there for months if not years. Since you only found a section of the skin it seems likely that something - rodents/insects/weather - removed the rest of the shed. If the shed is not new - complete and clean - that snake is probably long gone.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Before you get all worked up about treatments for snakes, consider how long it has been since you looked in the area you found the shed skin. It could have been there for months if not years. Since you only found a section of the skin it seems likely that something - rodents/insects/weather - removed the rest of the shed. If the shed is not new - complete and clean - that snake is probably long gone.

There is that. ;-) We have a huge batch of black snakes that take up residence in the crawl spaces of our clubhouse and an adjacent old maple that is hollow. A couple months back, we had snakes and snakes skins everywhere. Now?...none of either in sight.

fromchaptico

I think you are probably right. It definitely does not seem fresh (in my expert opinion - ha!) I also think it is from a black snake, which does not bother me a bit. I do not like spray, chemicals, etc. and I do like nature a lot, so as long as it is not a venomous snake, I will not even consider a treatment of any kind. In addition to my animals being in the beds, I am having some work done in my crawl spaces, etc. and most of all want to be sure that there is not a copperhead lurking around that might hurt someone going under the house.

fromchaptico

It is a black snake skin, so all is well! No further action will be required, thank goodness. Thanks to kwillia's mention of the Clinton Nature Center, I called them to see if they could identify the shed if I dropped it off. They had me email a few pictures, and confirmed that it is a black snake. I truly appreciate all of your suggestions and input. I have no desire to hurt any creature, but did not want to let people go under the house or work in the landscaping if there was a venomous snake hanging around the area. I have never seen a copperhead, but have heard many people around here say that they've had them in lawns, sheds, etc. Anyway, it all ended well, and I appreciate all of your help!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have never seen a copperhead, but have heard many people around here say that they've had them in lawns, sheds, etc.

I've seen plenty around here. Even a whole "ball" of them when I moved a big rock near the shore once. I didn't hang around close enough to get an accurate head count...

Riddler

So is this a copperhead? Kid almost stepped on this while fishing off the rocks this morning.

Snake.jpg