Pax in the news

H

Hodr

Anyone know what that is that popped open up front? An air ram maybe?

Midnightrider

Anyone know what that is that popped open up front? An air ram maybe?

It is the lift fan door. It has a huge fan driven by a PTO from the engine that blows straight down amidships. The door pops open to expose the intake during STOVL activities

BOP

It could do so, but without any weapons and limited fuel. What good is that?

Well, to be fair, the thing is so GD loud, it doesn't need weapons. All the pilot has to do is fly over the bad guys' house until they surrender, which ought to happen about the 2nd pass or so.

CrashTest

Well, to be fair, the thing is so GD loud, it doesn't need weapons. All the pilot has to do is fly over the bad guys' house until they surrender, which ought to happen about the 2nd pass or so.

Wake me up if one of those things ever gets within 10 miles of a bad guy. Almost 20 years and still waiting.

glhs837

Power with Control
Unless I'm mistaken, the ski jump is a cheap easy way to either increase the allowed take off load, or decrease the fuel burn required for take off. Brits built carriers around that concept.

blacklabman

Unless I'm mistaken, the ski jump is a cheap easy way to either increase the allowed take off load, or decrease the fuel burn required for take off. The Brits built carriers around that concept.
Not! A British LCDR determined that the deck run on INVINCBLE class aircraft carriers was inadequate to provide meaningful carriage of anything on Harriers. He developed the concept of the ski jump which provided increased capability. After several iterations, a twelve degree exit angle was chosen and retro-fitted on that class.
That is the basis for F-35B requirements.

RetiredCPO

You have to ask? :snort: it's the 'short take-off' part I keep forgetting about. This isn't like the Harrier, that could take off vertically from a stationary position.

A Harrier could only take off vertically half loaded, a fully loaded Harrier still requires the "ski jump" or a short take off roll.