Options to get to DC (union station area) 7 days a week?

steppinthrax

I have a job I'm going to be doing for some time in the Union station area. I live in Calvert. I've been exploring all transportation options and It seems metro is not the best option. I'm just trying to find from people, what would you do, or do you do. Since I know most work in the DC area. These are the options I've found.

1. Obvious option is to take the metro. Cost = $3.55 ($7.10 including return) wmata cost from suitland to union, $5.10 parking at suitland TOTAL= $12.20/day trans cost (not including gas to get to suitland)

2. Commuter bus. Cost = 120 a month, closest drop off point is about 1 mile from union station, so either I walk or take a subway to union. TOTAL = 5.45/day trans cost (minimal gas expense)

3. Parking downtown = This seems to be more attractive and seems to be cheaper and more control. I found a parking lot around 1 mile from union at $95 a month. TOTAL = 4.32 trans cost (highest gas expenses)

I haven't actually calc gas expense but it seems the Commuter Bus might be the best option. When you factor in the fuel for getting downtown then the cost to park it will probably come to be around the same as the commuter bus. What do you guys think?

DEEKAYPEE8569

I have a job I'm going to be doing for some time in the Union station area. I live in Calvert. I've been exploring all transportation options and It seems metro is not the best option. I'm just trying to find from people, what would you do, or do you do. Since I know most work in the DC area. These are the options I've found.

1. Obvious option is to take the metro. Cost = $3.55 ($7.10 including return) wmata cost from suitland to union, $5.10 parking at suitland TOTAL= $12.20/day trans cost (not including gas to get to suitland)

2. Commuter bus. Cost = 120 a month, closest drop off point is about 1 mile from union station, so either I walk or take a subway to union. TOTAL = 5.45/day trans cost (minimal gas expense)

3. Parking downtown = This seems to be more attractive and seems to be cheaper and more control. I found a parking lot around 1 mile from union at $95 a month. TOTAL = 4.32 trans cost (highest gas expenses)

I haven't actually calc gas expense but it seems the Commuter Bus might be the best option. When you factor in the fuel for getting downtown then the cost to park it will probably come to be around the same as the commuter bus. What do you guys think?

The smart-a** answer would be, 'Get somebody else to drive.' That's all I got.

steppinthrax

The smart-a** answer would be, 'Get somebody else to drive.' That's all I got.

That's what I was looking at but from craigslist and erideshare there is no one in hell that drives from Cal to DC (bull####). I guess most people just want to be alone. I'm willing to offer a ride when the time comes.

DEEKAYPEE8569

That's what I was looking at but from craigslist and erideshare there is no one in hell that drives from Cal to DC (bull####). I guess most people just want to be alone. I'm willing to offer a ride when the time comes.

That rideshare stuff.....I know how it works, but if you have to stay late one night or something happens and you have to leave early, what then?

steppinthrax

That rideshare stuff.....I know how it works, but if you have to stay late one night or something happens and you have to leave early, what then?

I think that is completely understandable on both sides. There will be situations where you say I stay late or he/she stays late and I can't pick that person up or they can't come. As long as it doesn't happen every day it's fine. Also these are professional salaried employees within the DC area so, you know.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I think that is completely understandable on both sides. There will be situations where you say I stay late or he/she stays late and I can't pick that person up or they can't come. As long as it doesn't happen every day it's fine. Also these are professional salaried employees within the DC area so, you know.
So, it's like, 'Gotta stay late?' 'That's fine, just let me know when you're ready to go." (?)

Chris0nllyn

What car do you drive? MPG?

Parking and all is a big expense, but to get a better gauge of what the overall cost will be, we need information regarding fuel usage.

BigBlue

I have a job I'm going to be doing for some time in the Union station area.

The Parking garage at Union Station is on average with other DC parking so you might not have to worry about other transportation .

This might help .

https://www.parkingpanda.com/washington-union-station-parking

http://www.unionstationdc.com/parking

molly_21

What you are forgetting besides cost of gas, is other maintenance. You have to do oil changes more often. Get tires more often. I was driving to Silver Spring for three months from Southern Calvert and I was doing oil changes EVERY MONTH............. So it shows how much I was driving. While DC is technically closer than Silver Spring (if you are coming from Calvert or St. Mary's or southern Charles). Driving to DC every day will rack the miles on. So if you don't want to do oil changes every month or get new tires a year quicker than you would have. I suggest taking the bus.

steppinthrax

What you are forgetting besides cost of gas, is other maintenance. You have to do oil changes more often. Get tires more often. I was driving to Silver Spring for three months from Southern Calvert and I was doing oil changes EVERY MONTH............. So it shows how much I was driving. While DC is technically closer than Silver Spring (if you are coming from Calvert or St. Mary's or southern Charles). Driving to DC every day will rack the miles on. So if you don't want to do oil changes every month or get new tires a year quicker than you would have. I suggest taking the bus.

I didn't really factor in maintenance and this is why I'm leaning away from driving my car into the city. I'm thinking about the park and ride (120/mo). I simply drive to dunkirk (2 miles away)!!! In addition I'm a full blown DIY and can do practically anything to my car. I change my own oil/timing belt, brakes etc.... So I'm not too worried about vehicle cost. I have my vehicle dialed down pretty tight.

BTY

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry it gets on average around 28 to the gallon.

sasquatch

MTA will be starting a new bus line from Prince Frederick on July 1st that will drop off and pick up very close to Union Station. It should get you there and back M-F. Here is a link to the schedule:

http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/850CommuterLine.pdf

Hope that helps.

molly_21

I didn't really factor in maintenance and this is why I'm leaning away from driving my car into the city. I'm thinking about the park and ride (120/mo). I simply drive to dunkirk (2 miles away)!!! In addition I'm a full blown DIY and can do practically anything to my car. I change my own oil/timing belt, brakes etc.... So I'm not too worried about vehicle cost. I have my vehicle dialed down pretty tight.

BTY

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry it gets on average around 28 to the gallon.

I had a 2003 Elantra (I was driving the route to Silver Spring in 2009). So while a fuel efficient car (and my husband did my oil change, etc). It is still a pain to have to do oil change more often. But it was just a thought :)

steppinthrax

In front of union station there is a parking lot maybe 100 or so spots that are free I think as I do not see any meters there but I think you will have to get there early to get a spot.

You probably have to wake up real early, or get there real early (maybe 5:00am or so?). Wow, i'm curious how long will these parking spaces last?