Left turn from Great Mills Raod to Rt 5 south, motorcycle

glhs837

Power with Control
not tripping the optical sensor, I think. Hit that Tuesday afternoon, 530ish.......... OMG, missed one green trapped behind the right turn folks, get up there as it hit red. Already one of the longest lights in SOMD, cooked a while, then some more, finally, it's our turn for green.......except it skipped us and went green for the other folks.......... more baking, traffic behind me seems a bit miffed. I scooch up into the crosswalk and motion the pickup behind me to get up close. After more minutes baking, we then get the green. I would call the SHA, but the last two times I called, about the misplaced speed limit sign and the magically disappearing bypass lanes on RT 5, my response was zippo.

Not sure whats up with the SHA, but it appears there's a new mode to public relations "Screw'em".

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Not sure whats up with the SHA, but it appears there's a new mode to public relations "Screw'em".

droid: n.

[from android, SF terminology for a humanoid robot of essentially biological (as opposed to mechanical/electronic) construction] A person (esp. a low-level bureaucrat or service-business employee) exhibiting most of the following characteristics: (a) naive trust in the wisdom of the parent organization or ‘the system’; (b) a blind-faith propensity to believe obvious nonsense emitted by authority figures (or computers!); (c) a rule-governed mentality, one unwilling or unable to look beyond the ‘letter of the law’ in exceptional situations; (d) a paralyzing fear of official reprimand or worse if Procedures are not followed No Matter What; and (e) no interest in doing anything above or beyond the call of a very narrowly-interpreted duty, or in particular in fixing that which is broken; an “It's not my job, man” attitude.

Typical droid positions include supermarket checkout assistant and bank clerk; the syndrome is also endemic in low-level government employees. The implication is that the rules and official procedures constitute software that the droid is executing; problems arise when the software has not been properly debugged. The term droid mentality is also used to describe the mindset behind this behavior. Compare suit, marketroid; see -oid.

In England there is equivalent mainstream slang; a ‘jobsworth’ is an obstructive, rule-following bureaucrat, often of the uniformed or suited variety. Named for the habit of denying a reasonable request by sucking his teeth and saying “Oh no, guv, sorry I can't help you: that's more than my job's worth”.

the ability to get paid is not dependent on JOB Performance so ...... jobsworth

or the bureaucracy grinds really slow

hitchicken

Traffic Light Sensors

Most traffic light sensors are inductive and used along with timers, but there are optical as well. Most cities just use timers (heavy traffic). I can't say about GMR and 5 South. In either case, it's a strong possibility a motorcycle might not trigger the sensor. The inductive coil sensor needs a certain mass of metal to trigger it. Good thinking moving the vehicle behind you forward. Sometimes a rectangular shape asphalted over near the end of the lane marks the location of the inductive sensor.

I always wonder what people are thinking when they fail to pull their cars up near the end of their lane at a stop light. If there is a sensor (and that's likely), leaving a car length's space to the end of the lane prevents the inductive sensor from being triggered. They will sit at the light longer and will depend on the timer instead. Some drivers need to be edumacated gooder.

glhs837

Power with Control
It's an optical sensor, you can spot them pretty easy, they are like 12 inch long 5 inch rectangular white cameras generally pointed right at the lane being sensed. Intervals are timed, but if the sensor says no traffic in that lane, it shifts to the next one. Once I pulled up and let the truck enter the cameras area of interest, we got the next one.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Last year I was right behind an Amish buggy waiting at the light to turn left onto Loveville Rd from 235 North...the sensor was not picking up the horses I guess :lol: The kid driving (he looked all of 14) realized something was wrong and kept looking back at me and the growing line behind him. I sat through 3 missed turns before I finally got out of my car, walked up to him and politely explained he needed to move up as far as it'd safely allow him with the horses because the light's sensor can't see them. Poor kid was so apologetic and absolutely afraid of me :lol: But then the light finally registered and we could turn.

DEEKAYPEE8569

not tripping the optical sensor, I think. Hit that Tuesday afternoon, 530ish.......... OMG, missed one green trapped behind the right turn folks, get up there as it hit red. Already one of the longest lights in SOMD, cooked a while, then some more, finally, it's our turn for green.......except it skipped us and went green for the other folks.......... more baking, traffic behind me seems a bit miffed. I scooch up into the crosswalk and motion the pickup behind me to get up close. After more minutes baking, we then get the green. I would call the SHA, but the last two times I called, about the misplaced speed limit sign and the magically disappearing bypass lanes on RT 5, my response was zippo.

You got stuck there too, huh? Wasn't it fun?

RetiredCPO

Same issue with the left turn onto Buck Hewitt from 235 north. I've sat there for what seems like 5 minutes due to the first person in line stopping 3 car lengths short and not tripping the optical sensor.
What's even worse, when the light finally does change to green and the Jack*** at the head of the line is to busy checking their cell phone to begin moving until the last minute.
Those sensors not only detect someone waiting, the also look for lack of movement to change the light back to red.
No movement, back to red and the A-hole at the front of the line is the only one who gets trough.

Goldenhawk

Had I had AC, it might not have been so bad....... I was worried you cagers behind were gonna just revolt and roll over me :)
The GRM-to-5-south sensor is entirely optical. There's no longer an inductive sensor. I'm not sure if it's visible or infrared light. Next time, try your headlight high beams. That may give the optical sensor more to see.

glhs837

Power with Control
The GRM-to-5-south sensor is entirely optical. There's no longer an inductive sensor. I'm not sure if it's visible or infrared light. Next time, try your headlight high beams. That may give the optical sensor more to see.

All the ones I have seen test loops for show as visible light, looking to pattern match a thing in the "box" it's been told to look at. Like modern security cams, all that's fine off board