Migraines and Topamax

I was put on Topamax a little less than two weeks ago. I still have migraines ... :ohwell: Along with that, I have experienced a myriad of other less-than-pleasant side effects:

1. I can't taste carbonation... at all. Open a soda? Flat. :mad: Open a beer? Flat. :mad: Etc.

2. I can't taste pretty much anything sweet. :cds:

3. I have lost 14 pounds in less than two weeks... (this is sort of pleasant I guess but not healthy AT ALL). :frown:

4. I am more forgetful than normal. Friendly reminder folks: Make sure your car is in "Park" before you try to get out of it. I have done this twice now. :doh: I also stop mid-sentence and forget what I am talking about completely... I know..." :wr: "

5. I am losing my hair by the handful... which I am sure has something to do with the alarming amount of weight loss in such a short amount of time. :bawl: I am very self-conscious about this.

I am trying to get in to talk to my doctor this afternoon but of course, his day is booked. I can't just stop taking the medicine because it affects your brain chemistry or something and since I am on two anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds already...my brain chemistry doesn't need any shocking.

I am not looking for sympathy... I am just venting and putting this out there for anyone else who may be experiencing the same thing.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I was put on Topamax a little less than two weeks ago. I still have migraines ... :ohwell: Along with that, I have experienced a myriad of other less-than-pleasant side effects:

1. I can't taste carbonation... at all. Open a soda? Flat. :mad: Open a beer? Flat. :mad: Etc.

3. I have lost 14 pounds in less than two weeks... (this is sort of pleasant I guess but not healthy AT ALL). :frown:

4. I am more forgetful than normal. Friendly reminder folks: Make sure your car is in "Park" before you try to get out of it. I have done this twice now. :doh: I also stop mid-sentence and forget what I am talking about completely... I know..." :wr: "

5. I am losing my hair by the handful... which I am sure has something to do with the alarming amount of weight loss in such a short amount of time. :bawl: I am very self-conscious about this.

I am trying to get in to talk to my doctor this afternoon but of course, his day is booked. I can't just stop taking the medicine because it affects your brain chemistry or something and since I am on two anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds already...my brain chemistry doesn't need any shocking.

I am not looking for sympathy... I am just venting and putting this out there for anyone else who may be experiencing the same thing.

Did you ask the Dr's assistant if he can recommend what you should do even if you can't get in to see him today?

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I was on Topamax for the same purpose at one point. Soda tasted like ass and it made me so stupid I finally stopped taking it. The weight loss was nice, but not worth the other side effects.

wittykitty

You've got my sympathy and prayers, WR. I suffered with migraines for roughly 20 years before I discovered my trigger a couple of years ago. I never took the meds you're using because I was afraid of the side effects, but I do wish you relief. Keep us posted please. Hugs...if that's ok from a perfect stranger :)

..actually, I cant say that I didn't take the same meds because I did take anti-anxiety meds, but not Topamax for my headaches.

Hey WR... so sorry you are having such tough issues. I have a friend who gets bad migraines too, and after a lot of trial and error, she found that Treximet works the best. If she is lucky enough to feel one coming on, she pops these and takes a nap. An hour later, no migraine, and no side effects.

frdldy2001

Topomax

I have been on topomax for 5+ years now...I had the same problems when I first starting taking them, minus the hair loss......you will get used to it unless you wish to keep getting migraines I would recommend giving it a try. What dose to they have you on. I take them twice a day 100 mg but that is the highest dosage and starting out on 50 mg a day. I hope this helps.

PeoplesElbow

See your doc ASAP, I know someone who has suffered permanent effects because of Topamax. It seems to be one of those drugs that works like a dream for some but has some severe side effects for others.

PeoplesElbow

What effect where they, I have none, jsut curious??

While on it he could not think rationally, almost as if there was a short circuit in his head, he would do really strange stuff like take a chair over to the window, stand on it and then duck down so he could see out the window when he could see out the window without the chair just fine. He lost the ability to type, write, do simple math in his head, he says his brain was thinking it but it just wouldn't come out. He acted very similar to someone that has dementia or Alzheimers. He just isn't all there any more like he use to be and he has been off it for 10 years.

Roman

I have heard of these scary side effects being in the medical field, but do not stop it until you call your Doctor, and get in to see him/her. Another medication that is offered is a beta-blocker called Propranolol (Inderol). It is used for a lot of things like high blood pressure. Given in lower doses like 10 mg, it does work well for migraines. It's also good for anxiety. I hope that you are well soon WR. In some cases, birth control helps with migraines, especially if the migraines are hormone related.

CRHS89

I take propanolol daily for migraines. It helps but I still get them occasionally and when I do they are not as severe. As far as getting used to the side effects or giving your body time to get used to it, I agree to an extent. But the amount of weight loss in such a short period and the hair loss sounds more serious than harmless side effects. Hope you and the doc can figure out a regimen that works. I know how debillitating migraines can be.:huggy:

CRHS89

I meant to add that not all meds work the same for everyone. Sometimes it is just trial and error until you find one that works for you.

Roman

I take propanolol daily for migraines. It helps but I still get them occasionally and when I do they are not as severe. As far as getting used to the side effects or giving your body time to get used to it, I agree to an extent. But the amount of weight loss in such a short period and the hair loss sounds more serious than harmless side effects. Hope you and the doc can figure out a regimen that works. I know how debillitating migraines can be.:huggy:
You're right CRH. Rapid weight and hair loss can also be thyroid, or possible diabetic issues. I'm sure that WR's Doctor checked her blood before handing over the medicine. But if s/he didn't, then that's in order. Both of your posts are great CRH.

Prosion

Migraines can also be associated with a thyroid issue, as can anxiety/depression, if you have not gotten your TSH checked, I would highly suggest you do so. When you do, make sure you get your number from the doctor as some folks do better with a TSH between 1-2 vs the "normal" range doctors use.

I also use Petadolex for my migraines. It takes about 2 months for it to build up in your system but, I rarely suffer from migraines any more except during my girl time. It may or may not work for you, and it is a little expensive, but maybe it can offer you some relief.