Apple Removes Civil War Games From App Store

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Apple Removes Civil War Games From App Store Over Confederate Flag Usage

Apple has removed seemingly all Civil War games from the App Store for displaying the Confederate Flag in "offensive and mean-spirited ways," our sister website TouchArcade has learned. Apple has sent a removal letter to affected developers to inform them that their app does not comply with Section 19.1 of the App Store Review Guidelines.

"19.1 Apps containing references or commentary about a religious, cultural or ethnic group that are defamatory, offensive, mean-spirited or likely to expose the targeted group to harm or violence will be rejected."

MacRumors did a spot check of the App Store and can confirm that Apple has removed dozens of Civil War games depicting the Confederate Flag, which has been at the center of a racial controversy ignited by a Charleston, South Carolina church shooting last week. Most educational or generic Civil War apps remain available on the App Store.

just like Germany after WW II ... no Nazi Flags in the public view

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now see, THIS is trying to erase history. Flying an enemy flag on government property, no. This, yes.

If you all had been sensible and realistic with blatant racial offenses, maybe it wouldn't have come to this. But no - you had to hang on for dear life to your slavery flag, so now that everybody's dug in and stuck on stupid the fun can begin!

:yahoo:

Yeah, that move struck me as ridiculous.

Apple has, of late, been reversing decisions that didn't make a whole lot of sense (and some that did) after some public outcry - particularly when it comes to App Store policies. So, who knows, maybe they will in this case as well. But I doubt it, there probably won't be enough voices loudly enough pointing out how silly this is to overcome those reflexively reacting against all things confederate. The World will go on I suppose.

Last edited:
I read a blurb over the weekend that suggested they had backtracked on this decision to some extent. I didn't bother to look further into it (yet), but I hope that characterization is accurate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, that move struck me as ridiculous.

Apple has, of late, been reversing decisions that didn't make a whole lot of sense (and some that did) after some public outcry - particularly when it comes to App Store policies. So, who knows, maybe they will in this case as well. But I doubt it, there probably won't be enough voices loudly enough pointing out how silly this is to overcome those reflexively reacting against all things confederate. The World will go on I suppose.

I think many of these companies are too dependent on the asinine "Twitterverse" for their social barometer. Something happens, the Twits lose their chit, and companies race to react rather than sitting back and seeing what happens, approaching a thoughtful response or simply not responding at all because there's no need for them to.