How Do You, Disconnect Water With METCOM?

merc669

My family is moving to another state in the next couple of weeks. How do you disconnect or have water turned off prior to moving. We were told we could not. We would have to pay a reconnect fee and pay for services even if we do not live there. Can someone explain this or tell me how to disconnect? Thanks!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My family is moving to another state in the next couple of weeks. How do you disconnect or have water turned off prior to moving. We were told we could not. We would have to pay a reconnect fee and pay for services even if we do not live there. Can someone explain this or tell me how to disconnect? Thanks!

Is the house a rental? If so, have it put in the landlords name.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Used to be you had a "footage" charge whether active or not and as the water is "metered" you only pay for what is being used. You should have a personal shutoff at the house to prevent leak potential.

merc669

METCOM has a flat fee for up to a certain amount. Like 0 to 3000. Now if I live in another state why would I want to pay METCOM for anything. In a normal state or town I would go them them and disconnect. Pay the last months fee along with any admin charges like a disconnect fee and be done with it. It appears METCOM does not allow that. Its like the old Eagles Song; "Hotel California". Which is upsetting needless to say.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
They may be required by the bondholders to collect a set minimum amount from all ratepayers to cover bond payments. That's how "normal" towns have to do it, METCOM is no different. You still own the house, you still have the benefit (portion of the bond) to pay.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
They may be required by the bondholders to collect a set minimum amount from all ratepayers to cover bond payments. That's how "normal" towns have to do it, METCOM is no different. You still own the house, you still have the benefit (portion of the bond) to pay.

Interesting. By buying a house in area that used Metcom, do they consider that you agreeing to said bond? Make sense? Wonder who pays it if it's foreclosed. Bank?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Interesting. By buying a house in area that used Metcom, do they consider that you agreeing to said bond? Make sense? Wonder who pays it if it's foreclosed. Bank?

Yep, the bank pays on foreclosures. It also pays the property taxes and the other fees like for trash while holding the foreclosure. Banks are also liable for any other governmental liens (say, the County has to go in and cut the yard) while owning the property.

Now, many banks are just like many developers/real estate investors in that they wait to pay until the property gets listed for tax sale in the 2nd year of non-payment.

As far as "agreeing" to the bond. Did you agree to the bond payment the County (or the State) has that's paying for the roads you drive on? In the case of the County that's paid out of your property taxes, for the State you pay for it with every gallon of gas you buy.

merc669

Interesting. So even moving out of the state does not release you from having to pay water, I am surprised Power like SMECO or Washington Gas does not join the party, I think most people after a while would see owning as a very expensive waste of money..

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Interesting. So even moving out of the state does not release you from having to pay water, I am surprised Power like SMECO or Washington Gas does not join the party, I think most people after a while would see owning as a very expensive waste of money..

Different set up, SMECO and Washington Gas are for profit companies (yeah, I know SMECO is a co-op) while METCOM is a governmental agency that's required by the bondholder to recover its costs to pay off the bonds. The other two pull the payments out of operating revenues/profits.

Some utilities elsewhere do have a maintenance of service charge when you disconnect your service.

I don't know specifically how METCOM is set up but its likely considered an enterprise fund which is divorced from the property taxing function of the County, so it stands alone and charges its own fees, which have to cover treatment and delivery plus all the capital costs associated with that. The bond holders set how much has to be recovered from each customer to cover the bond payments (treatment and delivery are operating costs). The old way was front foot benefit, the more frontage you have the more you pay. The new way is a flat amount for each tap holder.

An ignored part of every bond offering is that if the benefit charges don't cover the payments then general tax revenue is used to pay them.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Great answers! Here's one more.

If you own your own home, you and you alone are responsible for paying METCOM even if the home is vacant. The main reason they won't shut it off is because of the 'threat of fire'. Think about it and take your home owners insurance into account.... If there's a fire and no water accessible to use to put it out your probably screwed.....Insurance won't pay for repairs AND your still going to be liable for those mortgage payments........

You can expect your bill to run you approx. $50 a month depending on size. Yes, that's right. Even with no one using any.

Hopefully you have your home listed for rent or sale and it goes fast and smooth for you. Your new tenants/owners can transfer to their name when they move in.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Great answers! Here's one more.

If you own your own home, you and you alone are responsible for paying METCOM even if the home is vacant. The main reason they won't shut it off is because of the 'threat of fire'. Think about it and take your home owners insurance into account.... If there's a fire and no water accessible to use to put it out your probably screwed.....Insurance won't pay for repairs AND your still going to be liable for those mortgage payments........

You can expect your bill to run you approx. $50 a month depending on size. Yes, that's right. Even with no one using any.

Hopefully you have your home listed for rent or sale and it goes fast and smooth for you. Your new tenants/owners can transfer to their name when they move in.

:confused: If my house is on fire, how are they going to use the water in my house to put it out? Isn't that what fire hydrants are for?

Ken King

PREMO Member
That was my thought too. The little tiny stream from a faucet or outdoor hose is insignificant next to a house fire.

Doesn't new construction code require sprinkler systems? Thus you need to have water for them to work.

Doesn't new construction code require sprinkler systems? Thus you need to have water for them to work.

That is true, and in that case I can see a requirement to leave the water on. Sprinkler systems are far more effective than a single hose.

If this is an older home without sprinklers, I don't see much benefit.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've had METCOM sewer for almost 20 years. The monthly bill will always have to be paid as long as I own the property...regardless of use. In fact, currently, 2 of the 3 EDUs that I have to pay for every month are not being used at all; one of them has never even been connected ever..

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I've had METCOM sewer for almost 20 years. The monthly bill will always have to be paid as long as I own the property...regardless of use. In fact, currently, 2 of the 3 EDUs that I have to pay for every month are not being used at all; one of them has never even been connected ever..

Yep, the property is improved, hence more valuable, having the ability to connect to public sewer. Plus, again, is also has to do with bond repayment.

Papi4baby

Sprinkler system is actually a separate line coming into the house, i believe is tied to the fire main not the house regular water supply.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Sprinkler system is actually a separate line coming into the house, i believe is tied to the fire main not the house regular water supply.

I believe that the requirement just went into effect for those serviced by their own well, not to mention that not all areas have a "fire main", so I think you might be wrong.