Boneless BBQ Chicken Grilled Over Mesquite

DEEKAYPEE8569

My first attempt in many years, at barbecuing without gas was a surprising success. I bought a small charcoal grill Friday but waited until Sunday afternoon to put it together. I wanted to try my hand at 'cuing with hardwood; so I got a bag of that too; mesquite to be specific. I wanted the first thing I cooked on the new grill to be tri-tip; instead I got boneless/skinless chicken breast which I slathered in BBQ sauce. They were a pretty good size, so after I put them on the fire I thought, 'Maybe I should have tried something smaller til I got the hang of things.' Luckily enough, what I cooked turned out pretty darn tasty; not dry and thankfully not raw in the middle. I guess there's some truth to 'low-n-slow' cooking.

This coming weekend.....TRI-TIP..... :yum:

KDENISE977

:drool: I've only ever used gas and I think that's the reason I've never achieved perfection with bbq chicken breast. It's my absolute favorite !!! As I do enjoy a nice medium rare steak, I can do them on gas and satisfy household. It's the chicken that's evading me :mad:

Roman

What is a Tri-Tip? Ever since Monello posted something about the Slow-N-Low method, that's what I do with beef. It's wonderful. I don't tent it, because steam over-cooks, and dries it. The saying goes, "Wet heat dries meat". It's the truth! When doing chicken on the grill, we spray it with apple cider vinegar while cooking, then we add the BBQ sauce toward the last 30+ minutes of cooking. :drool:

lovinmaryland

:drool: I've only ever used gas and I think that's the reason I've never achieved perfection with bbq chicken breast. It's my absolute favorite !!! As I do enjoy a nice medium rare steak, I can do them on gas and satisfy household. It's the chicken that's evading me :mad:

For a gas grill I pre heat the grill w/ all burners on high for like 3-4 minutes. Make a foil pouch filled w/ soaked wood chips (make sure to poke some holes so the smoke can escape) place that on the far right hand side of the grill. Then I put the chicken on the left hand side and turn all but the two far right burners off (I've got a 6 burner gas grill but you can do this w/ less burners) I smoke them for an hour then lift off the lid and start basting w/ BBQ sauce every 15 minutes for another hour. Once theyre done put in a dish cover w/ foil and let rest for 15 minutes. Voila!

lovinmaryland

What is a Tri-Tip? Ever since Monello posted something about the Slow-N-Low method, that's what I do with beef. It's wonderful. I don't tent it, because steam over-cooks, and dries it. The saying goes, "Wet heat dries meat". It's the truth! When doing chicken on the grill, we spray it with apple cider vinegar while cooking, then we add the BBQ sauce toward the last 30+ minutes of cooking. :drool:

Its a cut of beef. Its really popular in Southern California. Nothing better than a tri tip sandwich :yum:

Attachments

• tritip.jpg
    tritip.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 278

lovinmaryland

I assume it's tender? That looks wonderful. I'll bet Nick's has it? That just might be my next dinner. Thanks.

Yes it is. Its normally marinaded for a while then grilled. Really really good. I've had a hard time finding it out here though. Safeway in Brandywine was the last place I picked it up at.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I assume it's tender? That looks wonderful. I'll bet Nick's has it? That just might be my next dinner. Thanks.

If it's cooked correctly, you don't even have to chew it. I was introduced to tri-tip one summer when we went to Santa Maria (CA). You can even get it at McKay's, etc.. It's kinda pricey, but worth it IMO.

Last edited:

somdfunguy

not impressed
I wanted the first thing I cooked on the new grill to be tri-tip; instead I got boneless/skinless chicken breast which I slathered in BBQ sauce. They were a pretty good size, so after I put them on the fire I thought, 'Maybe I should have tried something smaller til I got the hang of things.' Luckily enough, what I cooked turned out pretty darn tasty; not dry and thankfully not raw in the middle. I guess there's some truth to 'low-n-slow' cooking.

This coming weekend.....TRI-TIP..... :yum:

Sauce is the last thing you do. Pound the breast flat, 6-7 minutes on each side max. Sauce in the final minutes.

Yes it is. Its normally marinaded for a while then grilled. Really really good. I've had a hard time finding it out here though. Safeway in Brandywine was the last place I picked it up at.
I Sous-Vide it and it is awesome.

Last edited:

lovinmaryland

Sauce is the last thing you do. Pound the breast flat, 6-7 minutes on each side max. Sauce in the final minutes.

I Sous-Vide it and it is awesome.
I really need to get one of those!!
But cook the sauce long enough to caramelize without getting black, I use a lower heat to do that.

^^^THIS^^^ I like it really cooked on the chicken.

I should've mentioned in my earlier post that way of cooking the chicken was for bone in skin on breast, thighs, or legs. Not skinless boneless.

luvmygdaughters

I always prefer charcoal to gas. Hubby is great with the gas grill...but...I'm the queen of the charcoal. BBQ chicken is one of my favorites, made some the other night. Funguy is right, pound them down first, this helps cook more evenly and sauce is last.

somdfunguy

not impressed
What is Sous-Vide?

One of the best ways to cook a protein. Basically it is a low heat water bath where the food is sealed in a bag and cooked for a long period of time to the perfect temp. You can then finish it for a minute each side in a skillet to get the maillard reaction.

I made a porterhouse (90 minutes at 136) the other day that was the best steak I have ever had. Last night was rack of lamb (2 hours at 135) that was amazing. My pork chops and chicken (2 hours at 140) is always moist and delicious now.