Pope Francis Removes Confederate Flag From Vatican

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"VATICAN CITY – Pope Francis, joining the growing movement sweeping throughout the United States calling for the elimination of Confederate flags and symbols, has ordered the removal of the Confederate flag from all “chapels, museums, galleries, and all other properties, real and otherwise, throughout Vatican City and its environs, effective immediately.”

What began as a grass-roots movement in the American South has spread worldwide, marking a cultural and political sea change toward traditions upheld for generations. The Pope’s order sends an international message that long-standing emblems mired in the past should be left to history, and not celebrated in today’s global community.

This latest controversial revelation from Pope Francis comes on the heels of divided reaction over his recently leaked encyclical on the environment. The Pontiff emphasized that human activity is largely responsible for climate change affecting “our Sister, Mother Earth,” and for other environmental impacts of heightened “carbon related” activity, which he said disproportionately affect the world’s poor communities.

Reaction from the U.S. has predictably followed party lines. Former Pennsylvania senator and current Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, who earlier said the Pope should steer clear of the climate change debate, offered “no additional comment” when contacted for a followup statement concerning the Confederate flag issue and how it affects socially conservative Catholics.

Former Florida Gov. and GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush initially objected to the Pope’s decision to involve himself with “a strictly regional American issue”, then clarified his statement to say he agreed with the Pope’s order to remove the flag from Vatican grounds, explaining that he misheard the question, blaming a language barrier for the confusion."

Hijinx

The Vatican just made a treaty with the Palestinian' s, maybe he will fly their flag in it's place.

H

Hodr

Vatican City is like 0.17 square miles, and I believe everything in it is owned by the church (even the Starbucks coffee stall). While not 100% positive, I am pretty sure there were no Confederate/Rebel flags flown there to begin with, so obviously this is just a PR move to make sure everyone is aware which side of the fence they fall on.

Next up, I outlaw flying the Canadian Flag in my back yard, to include all deck spaces, sheds, dog houses, and fences. Suck it Maple Smokers.