Last Vietnam veteran to retire this July

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
After 42 years of service. WOW.

In the 1970s, he was among the last Marines sent to Vietnam.

In the '80s, as an Army Green Beret, he deployed into Honduras during the Contra Wars.

In 1991, he was gassed in Iraq.

And after 9/11, he fought terrorists in Afghanistan.

He is not the Most Interesting Man in the World.

But with 42 years in uniform, 59-year-old Michael Jarnevic is likely the saltiest sergeant major serving in the U.S. military. And when he retires July 8, he'll likely be the last person in uniform whose service record includes a tour during the Vietnam War.

Old soldiers don't die

BOP

Wow! is an understatement. He and I are the same age. It sounds like we went to boot camp at the same time in San Diego, just on opposite sides of the same fence. "Do not hop the fence over there (points toward MCRD), if you're going to hop the fence. That's where the Marines are, and they'll keep you for a while before they send you back, and trust me, you maggots do not want that. Hop the fence over there (points to what is now Pacific Coast Highway), and try not to get run over." That, and we were on the Ranger together.

acommondisaster

After 42 years of service. WOW.
[\QUOTE]
I didn't figure you to be too much younger than 59 to call him old - or say "WOW"...most of us have a career of longer than 42 years before retiring. 59's not all that old - he can't collect SS for a few years. Bet he'll be lost not being in the Army anymore.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
My WOW was for his 4 plus decades of service. Service life is better suited to the young, thus the 20 year retirement. He's only old in army years.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Wow! is an understatement. He and I are the same age. It sounds like we went to boot camp at the same time in San Diego, just on opposite sides of the same fence. "Do not hop the fence over there (points toward MCRD), if you're going to hop the fence. That's where the Marines are, and they'll keep you for a while before they send you back, and trust me, you maggots do not want that. Hop the fence over there (points to what is now Pacific Coast Highway), and try not to get run over." That, and we were on the Ranger together.

:killingme:

Wow, indeed. He's only 3 years older than I am. :patriot: