Oklahoma: Ten Commandments monument must come down.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"A Ten Commandments monument on the Oklahoma Capitol grounds is a religious symbol and must be removed because it violates the state's constitutional ban on using public property to benefit a religion, the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday.

Oklahoma's highest court said the Ten Commandments chiseled into the 6-foot-tall granite monument, which was privately funded by a Republican legislator, are "obviously religious in nature and are an integral part of the Jewish and Christian faiths."

The 7-2 ruling overturns a decision by a district court judge who determined the monument could stay.
Attorney General Scott Pruitt had argued that the monument was historical in nature and nearly identical to a Texas monument that was found constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Oklahoma justices said the local monument violated the state's constitution, not the U.S. Constitution.

"Quite simply, the Oklahoma Supreme Court got it wrong," Pruitt said in a statement. "The court completely ignored the profound historical impact of the Ten Commandments on the foundation of Western law."

Pruitt said his office would ask the court for a rehearing and request that the monument be allowed to stay until the court considers his request.

Since the original monument was erected in 2012, several other groups have asked to put up their own monuments on the Capitol grounds. Among them is a group that wants to erect a 7-foot-tall statue that depicts Satan as Baphomet, a goat-headed figure with horns, wings and a long beard.

A Hindu leader in Nevada, an animal rights group, and the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster also have made requests.

Rep. Mike Ritze, a Republican from Broken Arrow whose family paid about $10,000 for the monument's construction, pushed the bill authorizing the monument. He said Tuesday he hoped the attorney general would appeal the ruling."

Amused_despair

Might as well. He is winning.

Obama said it The United States is no longer a Christian Country.
Won't be here a lot longer either. Enjoy it while you can.

The United States has never been a Christian nation. What teachings of Jesus has the United States ever followed? We are a capitalist nation and a representative democracy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The United States has never been a Christian nation.

And in fact right in our Constitution it prohibits making laws to establish a religion. First Amendment, no less, because they felt that strongly about it.

If you want a theocracy you're going to have to go somewhere else.

PJay

Like the ten commandments, Satan is another figment of the religious imagination.

K. What do you want to replace it with from the list above... the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Or do you have something else in mind. It is your country now. Burn it down...I really no longer care.

K. What do you want to replace it with from the list above... the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Or do you have something else in mind. It is your country now. Burn it down...I really no longer care.

Why do you religious people insist on forcing your religion on everyone? Prayer in schools, religious monuments on public property, etc.. Conservative christians and muslims in particular insist on their religious laws being a part of government.

This_person

And in fact right in our Constitution it prohibits making laws to establish a religion. First Amendment, no less, because they felt that strongly about it.

If you want a theocracy you're going to have to go somewhere else.

I'm suspecting he meant a nation of Christians, not a theocracy.

For example, we refer routinely to Israel as a Jewish nation, though it is not a theocracy. The percentage of Israelis who are Jewish is about 76%. In the United States, about 76% of adults identify as Christian. We are as much a nation of Christians as Israel is a nation of Jews. But, neither country is a theocracy.

PJay

Why do you religious people insist on forcing your religion on everyone? Prayer in schools, religious monuments on public property, etc.. Conservative christians and muslims in particular insist on their religious laws being a part of government.

Hang on just a little longer, I promise you all that offends you and others will be erased.

Now smile and be happy.

Midnightrider

Hang on just a little longer, I promise you all that offends you and others will be erased.

Now smile and be happy.

so you are ok with the FSM, Satan, and any religious items (including the dreaded muslims') be placed on governemnt property?

I didn't think so.
the OK court got this one right.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

We don't insist on forcing on everyone. It was there for 200 years. You secularist have forced it away. It started with atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair. Who you now consider a "saint".

This_person

so you are ok with the FSM, Satan, and any religious items (including the dreaded muslims') be placed on governemnt property?

I didn't think so.
the OK court got this one right.
From a historical perspective, what else was a basis for western law more than the Old and New Testaments?

This_person

from a constitutional perspective the answer to that question does not matter.

Actually, it kind of does. If the monument is intended to establish religion, then it would be prohibited. If it is a historical marker, denoting the historical basis of western law, it would not be. Or, do you believe, "Thou shalt not murder", being in the text of at least three of the world's major religions, prohibits the US from having laws against murder based on the first amendment? I'm going to go ahead and believe you would not say that, so surely you can see the difference here.

We don't insist on forcing on everyone. It was there for 200 years. You secularist have forced it away. It started with atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair. Who you now consider a "saint".

I had to google her to find out who she was. I'm sure there were atheists long before her, but they rarely spoke out for fear of torture and execution by Christians for the religious crime of heresy.