More Replica car production?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm undecided where I fall on this one. The author of the article at the link is obviously against the proposed legislation that would provide more exemptions for new cars that are replicas of established vintage classics.

http://gearheads.org/new-house-bill-may-pass-that-kills-the-classic-muscle-car-industry/

How would this impact the real deal? I saw on TV a modernized 67' (IIRC?) Mach I go at auction for some insane amount of money; new suspension, modern motor and trans. Nothing about it was real except the body. Even the frame was modernized.

There is the market for that and the market for the authentic. As devout as gear heads are, no one is ever going to look at a brand new as the real thing. Or no?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm thinking that the value of truly original examples will not be affected by the proposed legislation and any subsequent appearance of replicas. There will always be those that want the all original classics and are willing to pay big $$$ for those..and always be those that want a vintage/classic looking ride just to enjoy.

Some classics don't even conform to conventional expections regarding value. My 1972 Pantera is worth more than an all-original example because of all the various mods and upgrades it has received. The highest prices for the very collectible 66-77 Bronco I've seen (Mecum and private both) were for highly modified examples.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Why pay upwards of $200,000 for an all original classic muscle car when you will be able to purchase an exact replica for a fraction of the cost. If collectors stop paying premiums for original stuff, the value will drop and kill the classic car auction market. Auction companies such as Barrett Jackson and Mecum will definitely feel the impact of such a market shift.

Purists and Collectors will always go after the originals

an original 68 ...

427 Yenko Camaro
302 Z/28
440 / 426 70 Challenger
429 Mustang SCJ

will always hold its value over a clone

what might drop some in price are the pedestrian versions

.. a 66 Mustang with a 6 cylinder or 289 2bbl
.. Dodge Dart with a 225 Slant 6 or 318
.. Charger 318
.. 69 Impala 327