Irony at its best....MSP

GregV814

So, the Maryland State Police decided after almost 2 months that the off-duty trooper Sergeant who rolled his unmarked car for no apparent reason in a 30MPH zone must have dozed off and lost control of his cruiser. This is in a residential area off of Rt. 260 & Cox Road near the beach area..... He demolished the car, was flown to shock trauma and was reportedly "banged up"....

So, today on Rt 260 AT COX Road (scene of the MSP collision) were 4 Troopers and a few Deputy Sheriff's running a radar zone........

Wow, maybe they should have been running radar a few weeks ago.....

Brass balls eh?????

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
So, the Maryland State Police decided after almost 2 months that the off-duty trooper Sergeant who rolled his unmarked car for no apparent reason in a 30MPH zone must have dozed off and lost control of his cruiser. This is in a residential area off of Rt. 260 & Cox Road near the beach area..... He demolished the car, was flown to shock trauma and was reportedly "banged up"....

So, today on Rt 260 AT COX Road (scene of the MSP collision) were 4 Troopers and a few Deputy Sheriff's running a radar zone........

Brass balls eh?????

They run radar there a lot. Typically once a week, sometimes more often. The two things are unrelated.

GregV814

well, Dad....will the troopers wait 6-8 weeks to determine if drivers were speeding today on 260??? .....little tidbit to ponder... I did 20 1/2 years with one police department and 15 with another. there is more to this that the general population knows about nor probably cares about. you or I, involved in a single car accident, would get a ticket from AAA with flares ( an inside joke), 3 points and our insurance rates would go up. the Sergeant will probably suffer no consequences except a repirmand in his file. Imagine, if you will, if some kid was riding his bike near the accident, or grandma was strolling down Cox Road and sleepy hit them....

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
"The agency vehicle Chirichella was driving was due for replacement anyhow, King said, as it had more than 200,000 miles on it at the time of the crash." WTH does this have to do with anything?:duh:

dgates80

Land of the lost
That he was driving and old POS car? No mention of mechanical failure being a factor though, so... There has gotta be "the rest of the story" hidden away somewhere, doesn't pass the smell test to me.

glhs837

Power with Control
Speed not a factor? Really? No way on gods green earth was that car doing anything like 30mph, looking at the pics of the crash. Looks like whitewash to me. Took this long to come up with the best way to present it so as to avoid hue and cry.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
That he was driving and old POS car? No mention of mechanical failure being a factor though, so... There has gotta be "the rest of the story" hidden away somewhere, doesn't pass the smell test to me.

MSP Det. Sgt. Rosemary King's statement about the mileage has zero relevance.

glhs837

Power with Control
MSP Det. Sgt. Rosemary King's statement about the mileage has zero relevance.

Looked at logically, of course not. However, they are counting on the blue tinted goggles most people wear for that statement to work. Never ind that a replacement cruiser still costs upwards of 30-40K.

tom88

Brass balls eh?????

So my question is this. What police department did you work for? I mean it shouldn't matter, you no longer work there and they can't do anything to you. The reason I ask is maybe things happened differently then, or you worked in the district. In Maryland, there aren't any witnesses which would be able to provide testimony to his accident. What citation would you give him? Failure to maintain speed to avoid a collision? Who is the witness? Who can testify he was doing something wrong? If you don't have a witness, any citizen will get out of that ticket and not get any points.

mdff21

Speed not a factor? Really? No way on gods green earth was that car doing anything like 30mph, looking at the pics of the crash. Looks like whitewash to me. Took this long to come up with the best way to present it so as to avoid hue and cry.

Not defending MSP, but are you doing 30 mph when you go past the 30 MPH sign? The 30 MPH sign is right at the intersection where the accident occurred. There is a reason that MSP and CCSD run radar in that area, not everyone obeys the speed limit signs along Rt. 260 from Harrison Blvd to Rt. 261. Also if you fall asleep you now have no control on speed or anything else.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not defending MSP, but are you doing 30 mph when you go past the 30 MPH sign? The 30 MPH sign is right at the intersection where the accident occurred. There is a reason that MSP and CCSD run radar in that area, not everyone obeys the speed limit signs along Rt. 260 from Harrison Blvd to Rt. 261. Also if you fall asleep you now have no control on speed or anything else.

Nope, but if I crash in a 30 mph and it's obvious I was going 50 of better, you can be damn sure my insurance company would be reading that in the accident report. Very few people fall asleep and floor the car.

BernieP

Resident PIA
So my question is this. What police department did you work for? I mean it shouldn't matter, you no longer work there and they can't do anything to you. The reason I ask is maybe things happened differently then, or you worked in the district. In Maryland, there aren't any witnesses which would be able to provide testimony to his accident. What citation would you give him? Failure to maintain speed to avoid a collision? Who is the witness? Who can testify he was doing something wrong? If you don't have a witness, any citizen will get out of that ticket and not get any points.

ah no, you lose control of your vehicle and wreck it (say hit a tree), there are a half different citations they can write - and they don't need a witness, your vehicle is testimony enough.
One ticket alone will set you back $150 and 3 points.
All depends on how nice the officer wants to be.

vince77

In Maryland, there aren't any witnesses which would be able to provide testimony to his accident. What citation would you give him? Failure to maintain speed to avoid a collision? Who is the witness? Who can testify he was doing something wrong? If you don't have a witness, any citizen will get out of that ticket and not get any points.

Stop it. This is an Internet forum. Here we speculate, accuse, and seek judgement without regard to testimony or findings of internal investigations.

H

Hodr

Looked at logically, of course not. However, they are counting on the blue tinted goggles most people wear for that statement to work. Never ind that a replacement cruiser still costs upwards of 30-40K.

I backed into an ATM attached to a police department, and they didn't charge me for repairs because they were due to upgrade the system. Maybe that's how they replace all equipment, just wait for critical failure. Worked to my advantage once, so I can't complain.

---EDIT BELOW---

I feel like this may need clarification. The police moved into an old bank building, and kept the drive through ATM. I was backing in to let the passenger use it without having to crawl over me or give me their pin. And I guess they kept the system because people used it, and it generated a good amount of income (people don't mind using an ATM in the middle of the night if it is literally attached to the police station).

glhs837

Power with Control
I backed into an ATM attached to a police department, and they didn't charge me for repairs because they were due to upgrade the system. Maybe that's how they replace all equipment, just wait for critical failure. Worked to my advantage once, so I can't complain.

---EDIT BELOW---

I feel like this may need clarification. The police moved into an old bank building, and kept the drive through ATM. I was backing in to let the passenger use it without having to crawl over me or give me their pin. And I guess they kept the system because people used it, and it generated a good amount of income (people don't mind using an ATM in the middle of the night if it is literally attached to the police station).

Very few ATMs are owned by the place they are, most all are contracted, with the entity providing the space getting a cut of the fees. So, no skin off the departments nose anyway, I imagine, not like that ATM was bought and paid for with taxpayers dollars.

tom88

ah no, you lose control of your vehicle and wreck it (say hit a tree), there are a half different citations they can write - and they don't need a witness, your vehicle is testimony enough.
One ticket alone will set you back $150 and 3 points.
All depends on how nice the officer wants to be.

They can write you 100 tickets, but that doesn't mean they can win any of them in court. So speculating that you think there are actual tickets they would write, what are those three you mentioned?

The other thing is this accident was obviously investigated by a reconstructionist. Anyone who actually knows how accidents and the courts work, knows that unless it is a life threatening or ending accident, a normal motor vehicle accident is not going to be reconstructed.

I'll wait on which tickets you are speculating would be written. The one which is normally written when an officer doesn't witness the accident is failure to maintain speed to avoid a collision. Having seen oh...I don't know hundreds, maybe thousands of these in court, I have never seen more than one ticket written.

H

Hodr

I have heard good things about both stores, but unfortunately both of them are a good drive from me and not on my normal travel routes.

I did call once about a special they were running on Delmonico steaks. When I called I asked if they were selling rib-eye Delmonico or a sirloin Delmonico. The guy told me something along the lines of "there's only one cut of Delmonico" and promptly hung up on me.

So I have never gone out of my way to visit them afterwards figuring 1, their customer service leaves a bit to be desired, and 2, if I was speaking to a butcher and he didn't know the history of the Delmonico steak or how many different cuts are given that label, then I might as well go Food Lion where they don't even cut their own meats anymore.