Anyone know this site

officeguy

While killing time on bing maps, I ran across this large site in Oxon Hill. It is off the end of Wheeler Hills Rd and seems to contain large parking lots and an excavated building site. Does anyone know what this was or what this was supposed to be ? Appended a screenshot from the bing aerial map, the site I am wondering about is outlined in red. For orientation, at the top of the pic is southern Ave with the metro station (top center) and United Medical center (top left). The site has a number of stormwater management ponds which suggests that it was developed not too long ago. The only thing that looks like a building site is on the northern aspect and ovoid in shape.

Anyone knows what this was supposed to be ? Office development ? Government facility ? Spaceport ?

Mystery_site_oxon_hill.jpg

Last edited:

BOP

While killing time on bing maps, I ran across this large site in Oxon Hill. It is off the end of Wheeler Hills Rd and seems to contain large parking lots and an excavated building site. Does anyone know what this was or what this was supposed to be ? Appended a screenshot from the bing aerial map, the site I am wondering about is outlined in red. For orientation, at the top of the pic is southern Ave with the metro station (top center) and United Medical center (top left). The site has a number of stormwater management ponds which suggests that it was developed not too long ago. The only thing that looks like a building site is on the northern aspect and ovoid in shape.

Anyone knows what this was supposed to be ? Office development ? Government facility ? Spaceport ?

View attachment 108844

That's the tomb of the Unknown SMIB.

GregV814

thats the ancient alien site, recently discovered by the Sci-Fi channel...its reported that unknown creatures, resembling Kenyan-American's landed there, with a mission to disrupt American culture, achievements and to reduce the once proud civilization to 7th Century Muslims...proof??? well....you tell me.

Rommey

Google Earth has the previous satellite photos dating back to 1988. You can see the site being developed in April 1999, but no indication of what it might be.

officeguy

Some more googling and property records solves the mystery. From what I can gather, in 1994, this was supposed to be a 10,000 seat Full Gospel Zion AME church. They had grown from a storefront in Suitland to a 25,000 member congregation. In 1999 the Rev John A Cherry who headed the congregation broke from Zion AME and took all the real estate with him to his new 'From the Heart Ministry' outfit. Lots of legal wrangling ensued including appeals to the Md court of special appeals until he had to give it all back in 2008.

Nice piece of property in a really ####ty location. Whoever owns it right now probably hopes that he can bamboozle some federal agency to buy it for their headquarters.