wifi?

RidgeChick

Getting ready to move to a more rural area where there is no cable service. Currently I use metrocast for internet, however, that will not be possible when I move. I don't know a thing about internet thru a company such as Verizon or Xfinity (? is that possible) -- does anyone have advice/knowledge of this? I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Cellular will be expensive.

You might want to check out satellite options.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Getting ready to move to a more rural area where there is no cable service. Currently I use metrocast for internet, however, that will not be possible when I move. I don't know a thing about internet thru a company such as Verizon or Xfinity (? is that possible) -- does anyone have advice/knowledge of this? I appreciate any help! Thanks!

How do you get more remote and rural area than Ridge......7th District?

RidgeChick

Look into DSL.

I have been checking into options -- for Dish, I have to have a TV 'bundle' to even have internet at all. Xfinity/HughesNet/Metrocast does not service the area. DirecTv's site is hard to navigate, so will call them later. But at this moment, looks as if I will go with a 'jetpack' from Verizon. I don't care too much about no TV (weeps, however, thinking of no football Sunday) but at least I will be able to use my Netflix off the jetpack....

glhs837

Power with Control
You need to go to the house in question and see what your 4g reception on a cell phone looks like, Verizon cell, of course. If the 4g sucks, so will the jetpack. You need to call them and specifically ask about DSL for that address. They might want to sell you on a satellite solution, which would suck compared to DSL, so make sure they know you want to know if DSL is available for that location. See, DSL works over the regular phone lines, but you have to be within a certain distance from a switching station. Which I think is more likely as you go further south in the county.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You need to go to the house in question and see what your 4g reception on a cell phone looks like, Verizon cell, of course. If the 4g sucks, so will the jetpack. You need to call them and specifically ask about DSL for that address. They might want to sell you on a satellite solution, which would suck compared to DSL, so make sure they know you want to know if DSL is available for that location. See, DSL works over the regular phone lines, but you have to be within a certain distance from a switching station. Which I think is more likely as you go further south in the county.

Not so likely.. in laws have DSL at their house in Ridge, we're less than 5 miles away (as the crow flies) no DSL. NO cable.. we thought about Satellite but 4G cellular is much better, faster and runs about the same $$ wise. Granted we can't download movies or pla games.. but we have Internet for essentials like the forums and facebook

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
If you're able to get DSL at your new home, go with dslextreme.com instead of Verizon. It's the same service as Verizon but with a lower monthly bill. Also, unlike Verizon, you do not need a landline for DSL service.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
What I was thinking Bob was that her name is Ridgechick.....and she's talking about gong farther south..... county gets smaller as you do that. Odds of being in range of a substation actually gets better as you go south. As I recall, critical distance is three miles from a substation.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What I was thinking Bob was that her name is Ridgechick.....and she's talking about gong farther south..... county gets smaller as you do that. Odds of being in range of a substation actually gets better as you go south. As I recall, critical distance is three miles from a substation.
Son does installs for AT&T in Kansas.. told me If you get two phone lines they can go up to ten miles.. of course I talked to the beauty school drop out at the call center and she had no idea what I was talking about.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Son does installs for AT&T in Kansas.. told me If you get two phone lines they can go up to ten miles.. of course I talked to the beauty school drop out at the call center and she had no idea what I was talking about.

Yeah, the folks on the end of the line quite often have no clue, they type the address into the field, and whatever it spits back is the answer.

RidgeChick

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I am not a techie so you all have helped a lot. When I called metrocast, they said they have a cost of $32k to put cable down the road that I am moving onto. Dummies, in my opinion, 'cause they would make that 32k back in no time....*sigh*...moving day within 2 weeks so I have some time. And, yes, of course I have Verizon, but didn't know about the other site, thanks! :)