Wifi Help, please

RidgeChick

Getting ready to move to a more rural area where there is no cable service. Currently I use metrocast for internet, however, that will not be possible when I move. I don't know a thing about internet thru a company such as Verizon or Xfinity (? is that possible) -- does anyone have advice/knowledge of this? I appreciate any help! Thanks!

hitchicken

More rural than Ridge. My. I believe basically you have just have 2 choices (neither of which has much to do with wifi). You can use Verizon DSL on a telephone landline IF there is a repeater location close enough. You can find out by going to Verizon's website for DSL and entering your new address. They will tell you if there is DSL for your new area. DSL is not very fast. In the past, I found it had reliability problems as well. The 2nd choice is satellite internet. Hughes comes to mind although there are several offshoots you can contact. It is very expensive and may be fairly restrictive as to how much bandwidth they will allow you per month. Go over and it will cost you. I did fail to mention 3G and 4G as well. This could also be costly... and restrictive.

Last edited:
C

Chuckt

Don't let them pull out the copper wire because it is the home owner's property and you have to be vigilant about it.

They give you a battery backup for FIOS phone but the battery only lasts about eight hours.

I can't get Verizon webmail on my phone because the frame won't resize large enough for me to read email.

I dislike customer service because they won't fix my email problem so I use a second email account and I don't have much good to say about them.

They lock me out of email if I don't type my password right so when I am at work, they call my home phone with a pin and I can't get back into my email until I go home to get the code which is very annoying. Previously the code expired in two hours making fixing web email problems almost impossible.