“going armed to the terror of the public”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Soldier Carrying AR-15 Creates Chaos at N.C. Mall: ‘Everyone in the Mall Was Panicking’

Fayetteville police said 25-year-old Bryan Scott Wolfinger was arrested and charged with “going armed to the terror of the public” in connection with Thursday’s incident at Cross Creek Mall in Fayetteville.

A statement from the Fayetteville Police Department said Wolfinger was preparing to have photographs taken with the military equipment and rifle when 911 calls were received of an armed male at the mall. The public, not knowing the man’s intention, panicked.

“It was really chaotic,” Amirah Williams told WRAL-TV. “It was scary. Nobody ever wants to be in a predicament like that. I was panicking. My friends were panicking. Everyone in the mall was panicking. It was just scary.”

more :bs: from people afraid of guns .... and what is up with this :bs: charge

... 'to the terror of the public'

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

If you were any smaller of a person, you would be invisible.

oh...hang on.....

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
"Going armed to the terror of the public" is a common law crime with the following elements -
A person guilty of this offense -

(1) arms himself or herself with an unusual and dangerous weapon
(2) for the purpose of terrifying others and
(3) goes about on public highways
(4) in a manner to cause terror to the people.
Since his purpose was to get photos taken and not terrifying the public how could he be found guilty?

Inkd

"Going armed to the terror of the public" is a common law crime with the following elements -

Since his purpose was to get photos taken and not terrifying the public how could he be found guilty?

I'm thinking number 4 maybe? It seems like a catch all. Like conduct unbecoming.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'm thinking number 4 maybe? It seems like a catch all. Like conduct unbecoming.

The way I read it is that all elements must apply. And as I recall how the incident went down if someone with a long arm slung over their shoulder causes terror to the people then there are some very fearful people down that way.

Inkd

The way I read it is that all elements must apply. And as I recall how the incident went down if someone with a long arm slung over their shoulder causes terror to the people then there are some very fearful people down that way.

You may be right about all the elements applying, who really knows? I don't know about people being fearful, seeing someone walking around in full kit is not a normal sight unless you are on a FOB somewhere. That's not even normal on a base unless there is some type of training maneuvers going on and even then, it's usually confined to certain areas of the base.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That's not even normal on a base unless there is some type of training maneuvers going on and even then, it's usually confined to certain areas of the base.

weren't Federal Troops just in Texas training, on city streets .... aka Jade Helm

Inkd

weren't Federal Troops just in Texas training, on city streets .... aka Jade Helm

Yes, and it was well publicized, everyone knew what was going on so if people saw soldiers traveling around in full kit it wouldn't raise any suspicions. That's why I said it's usually confined to certain areas. Jade Helm is like a huge Robin Sage exercise.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
While I'll never oppose the right to openly carry firearms, the incident reported above illustrates well why I personally do not want to openly carry a firearm under most circumstances involving "the public" around. I do not want anyone - including LEO - to be uncertain of my intentions when that uncertainty is being created in their mind simply by my overt display of a weapon.

I don't wear a sword either....or carry a bowie knife in a sheath slung between my shoulder blades...

Inkd

While I'll never oppose the right to openly carry firearms, the incident reported above illustrates well why I personally do not want to openly carry a firearm under most circumstances involving "the public" around. I do not want anyone - including LEO - to be uncertain of my intentions when that uncertainty is being created in their mind simply by my overt display of a weapon.

I don't wear a sword either....or carry a bowie knife in a sheath slung between my shoulder blades...

I feel the same way. Personally, I would never open carry anything. If people want to and it's legal, go for it. But don't be surprised if you draw unwanted attention to yourself.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
the problem is NOT the guy with the Weapon

Sure....while at the same time the airwaves are filled with "see something, say something" admonitions from our government because we're supposedly under imminent danger from random acts of ISIS violence. Like trying to shoot as many people as possible in a shopping mall...chit like that.

What happened to plain old common sense?

PeoplesElbow

So was this his personal weapon or does the army allow you take take stuff home?

He is guilty of poor judgement and I imagine if this is an army owned weapon unauthorized use of said weapon.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So was this his personal weapon or does the army allow you take take stuff home?

He is guilty of poor judgement and I imagine if this is an army owned weapon unauthorized use of said weapon.

It had to be his personal weapon. AR-15 is a civilian rifle.

PeoplesElbow

It had to be his personal weapon. AR-15 is a civilian rifle.

Well the media tends to call every black rifle an AR-15 now a days.

If it is his personal weapon, he should have used better judgement and used a case, the humidity of NC can be rough on steel.

Last edited:

BigBlue

All privet weapons on Bragg are locked up if you live on base ,you can not have any in your base housing ,now if he lived off base it's a different story but still he is soooooo much shiiiiit .When released from jail he was picked up by the base Commander and Provost Marshall .