S.C. Senate votes to remove Confederate flag.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"COLUMBIA, S.C. — The South Carolina Senate gave key approval Monday to remove the Confederate battle flag and its flagpole from the Statehouse grounds.The 37-3 vote came after several hours of debate and defeat of a handful of proposed amendments. Under Senate rules, it must pass by a two-thirds majority again; that vote will take place Tuesday.

State lawmakers began debate Monday on the fate of the Confederate battle flag, less than three weeks after a deadly shooting at a predominantly black church brought renewed attention to the controversial Southern symbol.

The Senate proposal, which would remove the flag from a Confederate monument on the Statehouse lawn, would go to the House for consideration. The bill requires a two-thirds majority in both the House and Senate to be sent to Gov. Nikki Haley, who strongly supports it.

Voting against the measure were three Republicans: Senate Majority Leader Harvey Peeler of Gaffney, Sen. Lee Bright of Spartanburg County and Sen. Danny Verdin of Laurens."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And that is that.

Would have been better if they'd put it to a citizen vote, but I suspect the results would have been the same.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'm still trying to figure out who or what the "flagpole" pissed off.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You all racist nutters totally miss the point of finally removing the Confederate flag from the SC statehouse. I mean, they only lost the war 150 years ago.

PeoplesElbow

I know of one of the people mentioned in that article, complete and total turd.

Am I the only one that finds the picture of a guy wearing a confederate flag shirt, waving a confederate flg and holding a sign that says "Vote no for Turncoats" ironic?

Last edited:

Hijinx

I'm still trying to figure out who or what the "flagpole" pissed off.

You are right. Don't know why they are removing the flagpole.
They could have flown the Rainbow flag from it and sucked up to all of those offended by the Battle flag.

littlelady

God bless the USA
You are right. Don't know why they are removing the flagpole.
They could have flown the Rainbow flag from it and sucked up to all of those offended by the Battle flag.

Good point! :lol: I am still trying to get over that there was a secret gay wedding at the WH. How far will this crap go is my question?

Oh, and thanks, for your response on another thread. :huggy:

Amused_despair

OK so we are patriotic and yet we want to glorify people who committed treason? Isn't that similar to deploring the Holocaust yet admiring the efficiency of the Nazis in conducting it? Confederate soldiers killed more Americans than any other army. Far more than ISIS. I do not understand why the flag is still flying over a state house that helped to start the entire Civil War. It was said about South Carolina prior to the Civil War "Too small to be a country, too large to be an insane asylum."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OK so we are patriotic and yet we want to glorify people who committed treason? Isn't that similar to deploring the Holocaust yet admiring the efficiency of the Nazis in conducting it? Confederate soldiers killed more Americans than any other army. Far more than ISIS. I do not understand why the flag is still flying over a state house that helped to start the entire Civil War. It was said about South Carolina prior to the Civil War "Too small to be a country, too large to be an insane asylum."

Hold up scooter. It is accurate to say the civil war took more American lives than all our other wars combined. It is not accurate to say the csa killed more Americans than any army. Germany holds that distinction.

Beta

Smile!
I know of one of the people mentioned in that article, complete and total turd.

Am I the only one that finds the picture of a guy wearing a confederate flag shirt, waving a confederate flg and holding a sign that says "Vote no for Turncoats" ironic?

I read that there was some kind of pro-flag robo-call that was saying "What's next? This attack on our values is sick and un-American, and it has to stop right here and right now in South Carolina." The last time I checked, the confederacy wasn't a part of the USA...so how is removing the Confederate flag un-American? Those same people would throw a fit if someone waved a Middle Eastern flag over their lawn. :doh: