Moving Companies

luvmygdaughters

My daughters are moving from a townhouse in North Beach, MD. to a townhouse in Chesapeake Beach, MD. Does anybody have any experience with reliable movers in the area. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours and less then a 15 minute ride from one location to the other. They are packing and boxing everything themselves. The standard furniture, living room and 3 bedrooms. She has gotten a couple of quotes but both seemed rather high. Before any comments start, their father has a bad back, my husband has a bad heart and I cannot lift anything over 20lbs. TIA

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
When I was young I had friends that would help.
We all helped each other, but that was when I was in the military.

To this day, I will always hate moving.

Popster

I don't know if they go that far from the city, but we have had excellent experiences (two) using College Hunks. Google them.

3CATSAILOR

Our military folks move on the average of every 3 years. When they move, the government experts tell the military to leave their boxes and or plastic tubs open and not seal it closed. This is because the moving company is taking liability for whatever they pickup. For example, if they put "PBO" on the inventory, this indicates "packed by owner". If they have this on your inventory, it may relieve them from liability for any damages.

Always have as many people that you know and trust (family, close friends) that can monitor the moving company when they pack and or pickup the property. Although many moving companies have claimed their employees have had a background check, that does not apply to all of them.Sometimes employees of some moving companies have a criminal history for various different things. Regardless, it is always a good idea to monitor what they are doing to make sure it is done the way you want.

Stew

When I was younger I used to help friends/relatives move too. The worse were times when they weren't prepared.. still packing/boxing up/ going thru stuff deciding what to keep and throw out. Man those moves took FOREVER! To me, if you're going to have someone help you move you should be packed up and ready to go when they arrive.

GopherM

Darwin was right
We just made a long distance move and used Quality Transfer in Lexington Park. Their parent company is based in Waldorf. We used them 18 year ago for a short distance move and again for this move and they were great both times. Very reasonable price and with over 9500 pounds of household goods this time they were again extremely reasonable in price and we only had some very minor damage to a few pieces of furniture. Nothing lost. I would not hesitate to use them again.

Popster

try posting to thumbtack.com and give your information. We just used Your Friends with a Truck for a move from Bowie to Owings MIlls. They were spot on and reasonable. 3 guys with 26' truck- $90 /hr with 1 hour travel and 4 hours min. They moved a 4 bedroom house that with far too many boxes of nick knacks, etc. in 7.25 hours. Impressive. Check the customer reviews of the companies who respond to your request.