Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: So...what are you reading lately?

Blog Entries
    Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins. I've always been somewhat jealous of the people that can go up to Alaska and eke out of living in the bush. I read a bunch of books by homesteaders. Then there was the kid from Into the Wild with his anti-capitalistic mentality.

I've enjoyed my various vacations to Alaska. All of them were during the summer months. I've yet to experience the stillness of an Alaskan winter. Actually I've been in more late season snow in Wyoming than I have in Alaska.

Back to the book. It's on OK read. It's not great prose but it's stories that interest me. He travels around the state with the purpose of writing a book. He lives a few years with this wife and daughter in Seward. He gets off the road system and into the bush communities.

In all of the books I've read about Alaska there are a few commonalities about the people. They sure are a hearty bunch. Living up there, especially off of the road is not for the faint of heart or the weak willed. It's an unforgiving land judging by the number of people that perish due to either foolishness or circumstance out in the wilderness. There is a saying about women that venture up to Alaska in search of a mate due to the favorable male to female ration. In regards to finding a mate: The odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins. I've always been somewhat jealous of the people that can go up to Alaska and eke out of living in the bush. .
    There is something to be said with a day to day life where everything you do matters. However, it ain't for everybody.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Just finished the second StormLight Archive book, and started the newest SafeHold series book.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    There is something to be said with a day to day life where everything you do matters. However, it ain't for everybody.
    Not only does it matter, it determines if you survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    Not only does it matter, it determines if you survive.
    That was my point. The vast majority of what we do now as a civilization isn't about survival.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Ready Player One ....
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Blog Entries
    Tim Tebow: Through My Eyes.

Amazon customers give it 4.5 stars. I'd rather read non fiction than fictional books. Even though TT isn't relevant today, it makes it easier to understand how he became the player that he was at the height of his collegiate career and for the 1 season in Denver where he took his team to the playoffs.

Since I don't watch a lot of TV, I didn't realize that they made a documentary about his senior year of high school called The Chosen One. It's easy to see his competitiveness and drive in that show. Imagine the movie Rudy, if Rudy had some genuine talent. He was a sort of sports prodigy not unlike Tiger Woods or the Williams sisters.

The book details mostly his 4 years in college, the recruiting process and his relationship with his coaches & teammates. Even though it's co-authored, I'd have to say that the text reads more like a lay person putting their ideas on paper. It's not flowery prose and high brow wording.

This book would be a good inspirational book for a young person just starting to get interested in organized sports. It shows all the hard work that goes on before the game even begins.

Lately I've been stuck on Dean Koontz and JD Robb. And for brain candy I go with Rita Mae Brown. Those are in addition to my daily "inspirational" stuff I read to keep my sanity and patience. I currently have about 15 books stacked up waiting their turn! LOL I read A LOT too!
    Live. Love. Laugh. And joke 'em if they can't take a *&$%.

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Broke out the classics, Lord Foul's Bane, for about the eighth time.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Broke out the classics, Lord Foul's Bane, for about the eighth time.

I have them on my Kindle
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Members who have read this thread: 21