Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: So...what are you reading lately?

Just finished up a book on Lincoln's early years, from birth through 1848. And a fascinating book on Teddy Roosevelt "Colonel Roosevelt", just before that one. Now reading this: Illustrated Gettysburg Reader

https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-G.../dp/1621570436
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Martin Luther: Renegade and Prophet. It's a good history of Luther and what Saxon Germany was like at the time of the Reformation.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    I just finished re-reading Kitty Kelley's bio of President Oprah. Now I'm re-reading Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins - another oldie. Once I've consumed enough junk I'll move on to something more substantial.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Registered User luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Just started a new one, "The Darkness Beneath" murder mystery, pretty good so far. My daughter started a book club in her neighborhood, I'll get some titles from her and share.

Blog Entries
    Policing Saigon by Loren Christensen. Well written stories. If you served you will relate to many of the examples he gives about fellow service members, high ranks, local nationals, etc.

Not that I doubted any of his stories but I did some additional research on a few of his tales.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    I do this #### all day long, deal with freaks and wackjobs - BM

Veterans before illegals

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    The Shweinfurt Raid in WWII and what a complete disaster it was for the US Army Air Force. Although the mission was considered a success, the terrible loss of men (600 were lost in those few hours), and 60 bombers lost, for a mission deemed successful, was a cluster screw up from the start, and still haunts the Army.
    Last edited by b23hqb; 05-23-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Blog Entries
    In Contempt by Chris Darden. It's his take on the OJ Simpson trial from the mid 90s. I saw the book at the dude ranch and picked it up to look at the pictures. Then I started reading it and found it hard to put down.

Hard to believe that the crime happened over 20 years ago. He wrote the book shortly after the trial. It gives a bit of his history of growing up and how he became a lawyer. It also shed a lot of details that weren't well known about the trial. He gives insight to the prosecutor's office mindset.

His nemesis is Johnnie Cochran, who up until the trial he considered a friend. The book tilts a lot towards race relations in the trial and in Los Angeles in general. This was on the heels of the Rodney King beatdown. Darden paints a lot of his narrative with descriptions such as black man, black community, white community, racist white cop. He states several times that he wasn't chosen to prosecute the trial because of his color and would have rejected it if he felt his office was trying to use his skin color for an advantage.

He comes off as a decent guy that is only seeking justice for 2 people who were killed. His entire family was hounded by the media for months. He had a brother that was a drug addict and the tabloids ran a lot of unflattering stories about him. He was also crucified in the black press.

I have a few more chapters to go. I know how it ends but I do like getting the inside scoop that only he is able to provide.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    I do this #### all day long, deal with freaks and wackjobs - BM

Veterans before illegals

"Autumn of the Black Snake".

A remarkable tale of the adventures of George Washington, "Mad Anthony" Wayne, and the first Federal Army fighting in their first war, the invasion of the Ohio valley and eventual defeats of the many Indian tribes and nations that resisted them there. The almost vicious contest that ensued within the two opposing groups in Congress and Executive regarding the establishment of a Federal army was really something. So was the degree and extent of corruption surrounding the sale and distribution of new lands to the west in places like western VA (later Kentucky) and Ohio. Ole George and other highly-placed officials had their hands deep in to that.

Amazing stuff. Paints G. Washington in some interesting new lights...some good...some not so much.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 07-17-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Blog Entries
    I am re-reading Kitty Kelley's biography of Frank Sinatra, but I'm getting bored with it so I just downloaded "From Here to Eternity" and will start on that this evening.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

I am reading one of my first reads from Amazon Prime called "A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea" by Masaji Ishikawa.

It's a true story about his life and ultimately his escape from North Korea in 1996. Absolutely terrifying and heartbreaking what he goes went through.

The harrowing true story of one man’s life in—and subsequent escape from—North Korea, one of the world’s most brutal totalitarian regimes.

Half-Korean, half-Japanese, Masaji Ishikawa has spent his whole life feeling like a man without a country. This feeling only deepened when his family moved from Japan to North Korea when Ishikawa was just thirteen years old, and unwittingly became members of the lowest social caste. His father, himself a Korean national, was lured to the new Communist country by promises of abundant work, education for his children, and a higher station in society. But the reality of their new life was far from utopian.

In this memoir translated from the original Japanese, Ishikawa candidly recounts his tumultuous upbringing and the brutal thirty-six years he spent living under a crushing totalitarian regime, as well as the challenges he faced repatriating to Japan after barely escaping North Korea with his life. A River in Darkness is not only a shocking portrait of life inside the country but a testament to the dignity—and indomitable nature—of the human spirit.
    https://www.amazon.com/River-Darknes.../dp/B06XKRKFZL

Members who have read this thread: 35