We can rest easy now

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's not the point and you know it.

Why are you in favor of an enemy battle flag flying officially in the US? That's a real question and I would like you to answer it, please.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
That is the problem with these symbolic movements. At the end of the day nothing changes. 1 side may feel like they won but in reality the change is minor. Expect the same thing when the name of the Redskins comes up for debate and is finally changed. Not 1 iota will change in anyone's life.

I wish people would concentrate their efforts into causes that will impact lives. Maybe mentor some inner city kids or volunteer for a children's reading program. Efforts that can have a significant impact on lives today and in the future.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Why are you in favor of an enemy battle flag flying officially in the US? That's a real question and I would like you to answer it, please.

Lee surrendered. We didn't...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
but Monello

.... the flag is a SYMBOL a racist Heritage, if you erase that every southerner will suddenly NOT be racist anymore

:sarcasm:

PsyOps

Pixelated

Then tell me what it's about? What do they aim to accomplish by removing the flag? I'm not for it or against it. I don't see the point.

I’m in favor of going after the root of the problem. I don’t give a damn about the confederate flag. It’s been around for about 150 years. In recent American history (say the past 30 years), how many mass murders occurred by white supremacists? We have one mass murder by one kid who held white supremacist views, and suddenly the flag has to be dealt with. This is the insanity of how we’re dealing with mental illness and crime. Go after the gun, go after the flag… let’s not even address the underlying issue. If the confederate flag is the symbol of racism, then removing it to deal with this sort of criminal behavior is the symbol of insanity. I am against trying to erase a part of our history (agree with that history or not) under the guise of trying to solve our social and criminal ills.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Why are you in favor of an enemy battle flag flying officially in the US?

"Enemy" is very relative. For millions (like my GG Grandfather and uncles), the stars and stripes was the "enemy" battle flag.

But of course I realize that taking the flag down in SC will save countless lives.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Enemy" is very relative. For millions (like my GG Grandfather and uncles), the stars and stripes was the "enemy" battle flag.

Then your relatives are ####ing slave owning traitors who waged war against the United States. If you're proud of that, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Then your relatives are ####ing slave owning traitors who waged war against the United States. If you're proud of that, well, I don't know what to tell you.

You are not usually so wrong or willfully obtuse. My Alabama family (immediate and extended) never owned slave one. Ever. They were typical, in that regard, because the majority of those living in the CSA, and fighting for it during the war, did not own slaves.

And I'm immensely proud of my family heritage and the community in northern Alabama that still bears the family name. Still have property there too.

So now what?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You are not usually so wrong or willfully obtuse. My Alabama family (immediate and extended) never owned slave one. Ever. They were typical, in that regard, because the majority of those living in the CSA, and fighting for it during the war, did not own slaves.

And I'm immensely proud of my family heritage and the community in northern Alabama that still bears the family name. Still have property there too.

So now what?

Your ancestors fought to keep black people enslaved because they thought that they were less than human and didn't deserve any kind of rights afforded a human being. If you're proud of that, then you suck. Period.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Your ancestors fought to keep black people enslaved because they thought that they were less than human and didn't deserve any kind of rights afforded a human being. If you're proud of that, then you suck. Period.

From the news accounts I've been seeing, a lot of them are less than human, as far as civilization goes.

I see the confederate flag as the flag of the rebellion faction that attempted to break free from the United States of America and failed to do so.

However, saying that those that chose to fly the flag is a display of someone in favor of slavery is no more an accurate assumption than saying that because I like and display rainbows I must be gay.

The LGBT community has adopted the rainbow and their own but it doesn't mean they exclusively own the rainbow. Yes, bigots have adopted the confederate flag as their own, but it doesn't mean they exclusively own it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

LOL. You've obviously got your mind made and are apparently willing to go so far as to even claim you know more about my family than I do.

Here's a tidbit to ponder: After the war, my gg Grandfather, the only one of the three brothers that survived the war, was apparently getting involved in too much in the local fledgling associations that sprang up all over, some eventually becoming more well known, later on, as the "KKK" and similar. I say "apparently too much" because my GGG Grandfather took major issue with that and promptly bundled my GG Grandfather up and sent him east to attend college and break off his ability to associate with such groups. We have a couple letters from the time that brought that all too light. Weird, huh?

And so he graduated some years later and returned to take over the family businesses.

Carry on.

PsyOps

Pixelated

I'm proud that we have largely overcome this plight on our history; except some people won't let it go. The mass shooting in SC is nothing more than an opportunity for our politicians to gin up outrage rather than address the problem. People that still believe blacks are inferior are so rare and exist in deep pockets of this country, and pretty much keep their sentiments to themselves. Yes, they exist but they are largely quiet and keep it to themselves. There is not one shred of evidence that we have this massive movement to go back to slavery on a group or institutional level. However, we are seeing a very overt movement that aims to stigmatize all whites as being innately racist and potentially terrorists. Not much discussion on here about that.

We have come a long way. That didn't get paved without white people. We still have some learning; but that gets stifled every time certain shootings occur that exploited for the purpose of creating division between races.

Midnightrider

Then tell me what it's about? What do they aim to accomplish by removing the flag? I'm not for it or against it. I don't see the point.

I’m in favor of going after the root of the problem. I don’t give a damn about the confederate flag. It’s been around for about 150 years. In recent American history (say the past 30 years), how many mass murders occurred by white supremacists? We have one mass murder by one kid who held white supremacist views, and suddenly the flag has to be dealt with. This is the insanity of how we’re dealing with mental illness and crime. Go after the gun, go after the flag… let’s not even address the underlying issue. If the confederate flag is the symbol of racism, then removing it to deal with this sort of criminal behavior is the symbol of insanity. I am against trying to erase a part of our history (agree with that history or not) under the guise of trying to solve our social and criminal ills.

You might want to check into the facts of SC and the rebel flag a little more. It wasn't used by the state until 1961. Right in the middle of the civil rights era. THat is no coincidence. Look up what the views of the governor was at the time.

what history is it you think is being erased by SC choosing to take down that flag? This flag has been in the news for decades. this isn't something that is new to people who have been paying attention. This incident just opened the eyes of some of the people who were not paiying attention, but only some....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The Soviet-style history erasing underway is not about the flag flying somewhere. The history-erasing movement wants monuments demolished and/or moved, buildings and parks renamed, museums purged......

This_person

Pssst - only about 1.4% of white Americans owned slaves. If you count just southern whites (who could own slaves), you up the ante to about 4.5% or so owned slaves.

Conversely, about 28% of free blacks in New Orleans owned 10 or more slaves.

The point being, if an aggressive estimate of 5% of white people in the south owned slaves, isn't it fairly wrong to paint all with the same brush?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Pssst - only about 1.4% of white Americans owned slaves. If you count just southern whites (who could own slaves), you up the ante to about 4.5% or so owned slaves.

Conversely, about 28% of free blacks in New Orleans owned 10 or more slaves.

The point being, if an aggressive estimate of 5% of white people in the south owned slaves, isn't it fairly wrong to paint all with the same brush?

As an avid amateur historian always fascinated by the Civil War, I suck.

But getting beyond than that....the thousands of letters written by CSA soldiers to the "folks back home" reveal a lot about why they were fighting and what they believed they were fighting for. What stands out starkly in most of those letters is what is missing from most of them....you can find very, very few letters where the soldiers even mention slavery, much less offer any opinion about it. The average Confederate grunt was not real clear about what they were fighting for, except that they weren't going to put up with any damn Yankees invading their territory or pushing their state around. Many of them were there just to "kick some Yankee butt" along with their friends and neighbors that were all formed up in the same units.