Matthew 22 The Riddle

hotcoffee

Matthew 22:41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 “What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”

“The son of David,” they replied.

43 He said to them, “How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand
until I put your enemies
under your feet.”’[e]

45 If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions.​

e.Matthew 22:44 Psalm 110:1

Here's how one commentary answers the riddle.

When Christ baffled his enemies, he asked what thoughts they had of the promised Messiah? How he could be the Son of David and yet his Lord? He quotes Psalm 110:1. If the Christ was to be a mere man, who would not exist till many ages after David's death, how could his forefather call him Lord? The Pharisees could not answer it. Nor can any solve the difficulty except he allows the Messiah to be the Son of God, and David's Lord equally with the Father. He took upon him human nature, and so became God manifested in the flesh; in this sense he is the Son of man and the Son of David. It behoves us above all things seriously to inquire, "What think we of Christ?" Is he altogether glorious in our eyes, and precious to our hearts?​

The studylight commentary says this.

It is possible that the Pharisees did not know or had forgotten that Jesus was of the line of King David and was even born in Bethlehem, the city of David. When Jesus recently entered Jerusalem, it was noted that He was from Nazareth, and perhaps His connection to King David had been unknown or forgotten (Matthew 21:11).

The Pharisees were partially right in saying that the Messiah is the Son of David. But they didn't have a complete understanding of who the Messiah is. He is not only David's Son (a reference to His humanity), but He is also David's Lord (a reference to the deity of Jesus, the Messiah).

"The force of Jesus' argument depends on his use of Psalm 110, the most frequently quoted OT chapter in the NT."

This is the idea communicated in Revelation 22:16: I am the root and the offspring of David, and Romans 1:4, which shows Jesus as both the Son of David and the Son of God. We must not neglect either facet of Jesus' person. He is truly man and truly God, and can only be our Savior if He is both.​

Jesus was done debating with the religious leaders. "From now on he will not debate with the authorities, but will go over their heads to the crowd."​

:coffee: