schools Honor Rolls

GregV814

Alright, I am going to say something that most will probably take in the wrong light, but whatever..... It seems to me that following each schools grading period, it takes two or maybe three editions of newspapers to list the honorees of the Honor Roll. I guess this is a part of the no child left behind or "every player gets a trophy" syndrome. But you have to admit is diminishes the efforts of the real Honor Roll kids.
Plus, there are few Class Valdivictorians....

stew77

Judging on the dumbness that is taught in todays schools, (i.e. History, Math) it doesn't surprise me that there are very Valdivictorians. Quick tell mehowoften you use the Algebra you were taught?? How about learning to make change from money?? Wonder how the liberals will slant the history books about the Rebel Flag?? Ad then there is the gun debate?!? Nuff said..

PeoplesElbow

Alright, I am going to say something that most will probably take in the wrong light, but whatever..... It seems to me that following each schools grading period, it takes two or maybe three editions of newspapers to list the honorees of the Honor Roll. I guess this is a part of the no child left behind or "every player gets a trophy" syndrome. But you have to admit is diminishes the efforts of the real Honor Roll kids.

Where I went to school (graduated in 92) it always took 3-4 weeks, in my graduating class there was 130 and we had 3 valedictorians and 6 salutatorians, the school district was afraid the spoiled rich kids parents would sue. But when you have 3 students that have had a perfect 4.0 throughout school what else can you do that isn't subjective?

All six of our salutatorians only had one B their whole high school career, same thing what else were they going to do? The day after graduation it means nothing.

PeoplesElbow

I would also like to point out that my school sent the names to the paper, the paper didn't charge the schools so they printed the names at their own leisure, probably when they had a open spot in the paper layout for it.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Calvert got rid of Valedictorians and Salutatorians his year so you won't see them there.

The designations are for the highest and second highest GPA in the graduating class so you may not have more than one of each graduating.

As far as the papers printing the Honor Roll they'll wait until they have room to do it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:twitch:

Hank

my war
Judging on the dumbness that is taught in todays schools, (i.e. History, Math) it doesn't surprise me that there are very Valdivictorians. Quick tell mehowoften you use the Algebra you were taught?? How about learning to make change from money?? Wonder how the liberals will slant the history books about the Rebel Flag?? Ad then there is the gun debate?!? Nuff said..

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you must be related to Greg.

I'm just judging on the dumbness.

PJay

Stop it! Oh, look how damn smart and big you are for making fun of spelling errors! :rolleyes:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
This is somewhat related to this thread. I recently read a book and 1 of the topics was teachers. A mention was made that decades ago when there were few professional options for college educated women that many chose to teach. Many teachers were outstanding students that had high GPAs. The went on to teach children and were quite capable. As the years rolled by more jobs became available to women. The best and brightest were snatched up by industries seeking the most talent available. The position of teacher became less attractive as on option for the better graduates. So the people that applied for teaching positions were the graduates that didn't make the cut for other highly prized jobs. The teachers became some of the low GPA graduates. They in turn weren't as capable as teachers compared to teachers decades before them. Poor teachers are more likely to turn out less equipped students.

BigBlue

This is somewhat related to this thread. I recently read a book and 1 of the topics was teachers. A mention was made that decades ago when there were few professional options for college educated women that many chose to teach. Many teachers were outstanding students that had high GPAs. The went on to teach children and were quite capable. As the years rolled by more jobs became available to women. The best and brightest were snatched up by industries seeking the most talent available. The position of teacher became less attractive as on option for the better graduates. So the people that applied for teaching positions were the graduates that didn't make the cut for other highly prized jobs. The teachers became some of the low GPA graduates. They in turn weren't as capable as teachers compared to teachers decades before them. Poor teachers are more likely to turn out less equipped students.

So you are saying that no women with high GPA's became teachers after better jobs were available so that is why kids aren't doing well in school ?

PeoplesElbow

So you are saying that no women with high GPA's became teachers after better jobs were available so that is why kids aren't doing well in school ?

I dont think he is saying no women.

But back in the day women either didn't go to college or were steered to fields such as teaching. The women that did go to college back then were generally much higher on the bell curve by average vs today when a much bigger percentage of women go to college.

Do you remember in the movie Titanic Roses mom says "If a woman has already found a husband there is no point for university?"

BigBlue

I dont think he is saying no women.

The women that did go to college back then were generally much higher on the bell curve by average vs today when a much bigger percentage of women go to college.
"

Sorry nope , don't believe that for a second .I have living proof of it .

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

What the book I read implied is that many of the top female graduates DON'T become teachers when compared to teachers 50 years ago. The book is called SuperFreakonomics. Here's a summary of the chapter in the book in reference to female teachers.

I have long heard the argument that one reason for the decline in teacher quality in U.S. schools (if in fact there has been such a decline) was the feminist movement. The argument goes like this: until the mid-1960’s or so, teaching was one of the few career paths wide open to women; as feminism opened up opportunities for women in other fields, many bright women followed those opportunities; the remaining pool of female teachers since then is therefore of lesser quality.

Here's a link to a summary of the book: Book

GregV814

okay, so I misspelled a werd...so waht I aint no valid de victorien... but did you make mockery of the initial statement? It was just my opinion..You folks need to chill owt man....

BigBlue

What the book I read implied is that many of the top female graduates DON'T become teachers when compared to teachers 50 years ago. The book is called SuperFreakonomics. Here's a summary of the chapter in the book in reference to female teachers.

Here's a link to a summary of the book: Book

Well you are quoting it so you must agree with it and I don't .To many assumptions with your quote the biggest is that women who went to college didn't want to teach in the first place but only as a second career choice option and the other was to assume that people without high GPA's can't teach ,are not good teachers are only women and that women with high GPA's go for corprate America as oppose to teaching ,no, you are or the book is wrong ..