Stars and Bars

Bobwhite

What is everyone's view on removing the Confederate flag from displays?

I don't care whether they leave it up or take it down. What I care about is the here and now. I would like our government (and public in general) to pay attention to the things that matter: Iran nuclear deal, illegal immigration, jobs, economy, etc.

PJay

I don't care whether they leave it up or take it down. What I care about is the here and now. I would like our government (and public in general) to pay attention to the things that matter: Iran nuclear deal, illegal immigration, jobs, economy, etc.

The public is paying attention to all those things. But, we're doomed living under a dictator at the moment.

BigBlue

To sell anything -no
Government buildings or cars(tags) -no
Your own home -yes ,Museum -yes ,cemetery-yes

Graymatter

Racial crime (all types)

mitzi

I've never been so sick of seeing a picture of a flag. Every time I look at FB, every time I turn the news on, everywhere.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Does this mean they're coming for my Remco Johnny Reb Canon?

Sumbitches!

BernieP

Resident PIA
It's nothing more than bullying. Oh, I'm sorry the PC term is "shaming".
If I find that something "offends" me, can I ask to have it removed?
How about if enough people find that it offends them?

Because if that's the rules, the Kardashians and Kenya West are goners.

tom88

It's nothing more than bullying. Oh, I'm sorry the PC term is "shaming".
If I find that something "offends" me, can I ask to have it removed?
How about if enough people find that it offends them?

Because if that's the rules, the Kardashians and Kenya West are goners.

I don't think so, but if you find a symbol of hate, which was used to intimidate and frighten a class of people, then I would say yes, ask them to remove it from any tax payer funded flag pole.

inkah

Suddenly white people everywhere care deeply about this piece of fabric. I don't get it.

Take it down.

bilbur

Suddenly white people everywhere care deeply about this piece of fabric. I don't get it.

Take it down.

I can see the argument from both sides. Some people probably don't even care about the flag but think removing it completely sets a bad precedent. I think if someone wants it flying in their yard that is their right but I can see why it shouldn't fly over government buildings unless there is some historical significance to the building, ex. it was used by the confederacy for something historically significant. Personally the flag doesn't offend me and if they take it down it doesn't affect me. Maybe one day they will call for a ban on something I care strongly enough about to join protests and speak out, but this isn't one of them.

LtownTaxpayer

I can see the argument from both sides. Some people probably don't even care about the flag but think removing it completely sets a bad precedent. I think if someone wants it flying in their yard that is their right but I can see why it shouldn't fly over government buildings unless there is some historical significance to the building, ex. it was used by the confederacy for something historically significant. Personally the flag doesn't offend me and if they take it down it doesn't affect me. Maybe one day they will call for a ban on something I care strongly enough about to join protests and speak out, but this isn't one of them.

I can also see both sides of this issue. I agree that the flag should not be flown over a government building, but the current climate of political correctness run amok doesn't serve any of us. Sure, there are nut jobs who have tried to corrupt that flag for their own reasons. But things like not having the flag available at Antietam is ridiculous - that is a historical site with the flag having historical significance. If the flag is banned from sale, what happens to the civil war re-enactment units? Back to sewing their own flags? Banning the flag does not extinguish its existence. Often banning something just makes it more appealing. Now we have a social media challenge for people to take a Confederate battle flag down. Someone is going to get hurt.

This is as silly as banning legal guns because of what someone did with an illegal gun. I would appreciate common sense taking a front seat on this rather than being left on the sidewalk as is currently the case.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
The same people who are crying to take down the confederate flag are the same that would say the US flag is just a piece of cloth and don't understand why people get upset when it's burned or defaced.
People are all of a sudden but hurt over the image because it was linked to a murderer. The same people who say what kids see on tv doesn't influence them, that video games aren't a problem, that music isn't a problem, but oh, the confederate flag, that's a problem.

The real truth was exposed by Al Charleton, he saw the killings as an opportunity to take down the flag. Basically it's his publicity stunt but it's being done under the guise of hurtful, evil symbol.
I'm not advocating for the flag, or for those who are still fighting the civil war. I'm arguing against the slippery slope of banning "offensive symbols".
What about the US flag? Do you not think people find it offensive?
So what else do we ban - the cross? It was removed for the LA County seal.

Smith

Suddenly black people everywhere care deeply about this piece of fabric. I don't get it. <-- See it works both ways.

Remove the reference to color from that statement and it would be more accurate. Nobody was outraged until they were told they should be.