What's keeping you from retiring?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Do you have a plan? How many more years? What needs to happen first? Do you figure your family's longevity into your plan?

Last edited:

Blister

* Yes
* 7-8 more years
* No armeggedon/total monetary collapse.
* My wife & myself yes, everyone else is on their own.

rdytogo

Do you have a plan? How many more years? What needs to happen first? Do you figure your family's longevity into your plan?

I retired two years ago for the second time. I have been planning for my retirement my entire adult life. I hope to leave a nest egg for my children.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
According to my 401k, My retirement age is 93 but my life expectancy is 72.

acommondisaster

Age is keeping me from retiring (again, but I don't really count Navy retirement) I think I'm going to go part time when the contract I'm on is over at the end of 2017. I'm done searching for contracts, interviews, tech interviews, certifications and background investigations. And that is why I'll at least semi-retire. This last round of employment seeking drama was enough for me. When this is over, I'm going to do what I want. We already have a paid for home in place. Longevity means nothing, could be hit by an asteroid tomorrow.

tblwdc

Yes, I have a plan. I think I'm going to stay three or four more years. This is my second career and I have accrued enough time that I can go when I like. Every thing is paid off in two years. My second half can retire in three. We have a nice portfolio outside of my two pensions. There will be something left for each of my kids. We have taken steps to start moving things while we are still alive so that they are not crushed when we go. We have already put properties in their name and are steadily giving "gifts" to avoid tax penalties.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Age. Five more years, and I will be sitting pretty.

Spending all day in the garden, maybe hire myself out for gardening chores, if I feel like it when the time comes. I have lots of folks asking me to come "do" their gardens, I just don't have the time right now. Could be a lucrative part-time business. And because I know the difference between a weed and a keeper, could be a very lucrative business to the right clients.

When the time comes, will be looking to pick the brains of ya'll that have started little part-time businesses.

***And the kids better be planning for themselves. I plan on spending every bit of it on ME, I've earned it. Did without for too many years so they could have.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

my youth ... working blue collar JOBS - plumber, electrician, carpentry, car repair ... that offered no benefits

Kinnakeet

According to one plan i have i can go at 55 3 more years but my union pension says i have to work until 591/2 to get full benefits,i once took off for a couple of weeks and didnt have anyone to play with so i think ill wait until my wife can retire and some of my friends.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
According to one plan i have i can go at 55 3 more years but my union pension says i have to work until 591/2 to get full benefits,i once took off for a couple of weeks and didnt have anyone to play with so i think ill wait until my wife can retire and some of my friends.

I would recommend not using "full benefits" blinders.

My boss got tired of the BS, and called for an estimate of her "2 1/2 year before full benefits" retirement. Difference between her working bring home and her retirement bring home was just over $100 dollars a month.

She was going to work for less than $5 a day.

No brainer. She was GONE in two weeks.

Agee

$$$, playing ketchup...

eligible to retire in 8 years, life does sneak-up on you!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Spending all day in the garden, maybe hire myself out for gardening chores, if I feel like it when the time comes. I have lots of folks asking me to come "do" their gardens, I just don't have the time right now. Could be a lucrative part-time business. And because I know the difference between a weed and a keeper, could be a very lucrative business to the right clients.

I love this idea. :yay:

Christy

b*tch rocket

I am still far too young to retire. I do not have a set age in which I want to retire. Although, if I hit the Mega Millions or Powerball, I'll retire immediately. I throw money into my 401K, probably not enough, but it'll just have to do. I live life for today, because tomorrow is not a guarantee.

bilbur

According to my 401K planer I am ahead of where I need to be to retire at 65. Unfortunately, that is over 25 years away so I opened up an IRA to put a little extra away each year. If everything works out I will be able to retire before my 60's, if I make it that long.