Matthew 24 Vultures will gather

hotcoffee

Matthew 24:26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

If we keep remembering the setting, then we won't get lost here. Jesus is still talking about what will happen in Judea and Jerusalem in 70AD. One of the commentaries says this.

Jesus was driving home the point that his disciples should not be deceived either by world events or by people claiming to know when the "sign" of "the end" had occurred. Perhaps he was even meaning to tell them that the fall of Jerusalem and the temple were not the harbinger of "the end."​

Another commentary puts it this way.

When a people, by their sin, make themselves as loathsome carcasses, nothing can be expected but that God should send enemies to destroy them.​

Let's face it, people have gotten a lot more loathsome than they were back in 70AD. AND God has a track record for destroying evil people. First there was Sodom & Gomorrah and then there was Noah's flood. God promised He wouldn't use a flood again, but He didn't say He would just sit back and let us all get gross forever.

In another commentary we find this.

Is it not worthy of remark that our Lord not only foretold the appearance of these impostors, but also the manner and circumstances of their conduct? Some he mentions as appearing in the desert. Josephus says that many impostors and cheats persuaded the people to follow them to the desert, promising to show them signs and wonders done by the providence of God, is well attested. An Egyptian false prophet, mentioned by Josephus, and in the Acts, Acts 21:38, led out into the Desert four thousand men, who were murderers, but these were all taken or destroyed by Felix. Another promised salvation to the people, if they would follow him to the Desert, and he was destroyed by Festus. Also, one Jonathan, a weaver, persuaded a number to follow him to the Desert, but he was taken and burnt alive by Vespasian.

As some conducted their deluded followers to the Desert, so did others to the secret chambers. Josephus mentions a false prophet, who declared to the people in the city, that God commanded them to go up into the temple, and there they should receive the signs of deliverance. A multitude of men, women, and children, went up accordingly; but, instead of deliverance, the place was set on fire by the Romans, and 6,000 perished miserably in the flames, or in attempting to escape them.​

Jesus knew what was going to happen.

:coffee:

C

Chuckt

King James Bible
And they shall sever out men of continual employment, passing through the land to bury with the passengers those that remain upon the face of the earth, to cleanse it: after the end of seven months shall they search.
http://biblehub.com/ezekiel/39-14.htm

I believe it is talking about a much larger more. If you had 2 million Jews in Israel burrying one or two bodies every day for seven months, how many people would you have to bury? I'm guessing at least 420 million at the least.

According to what I believe, these interpretations don't fit Ezekiel 39:14.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
There will be arguments about passages like these until the Lord does return. They are interesting, but to become dogmatic on topics that are not eternal-related issues are just academic exercises, but any exercise in the Word is good for all. Jesus knows, and that's good enough for me.

I think we should probably take these verses as a mild chastisement to not get caught up in ourselves and our interpretations, and to not desire what is essentially forbidden knowledge at this time.

Just stick with Acts 1:7-8. I'll wait until it happens.

C

Chuckt

There will be arguments about passages like these until the Lord does return. They are interesting, but to become dogmatic on topics that are not eternal-related issues are just academic exercises, but any exercise in the Word is good for all. Jesus knows, and that's good enough for me.

I think we should probably take these verses as a mild chastisement to not get caught up in ourselves and our interpretations, and to not desire what is essentially forbidden knowledge at this time.

Just stick with Acts 1:7-8. I'll wait until it happens.

I use to think that until I tried to get along with Christians that held different beliefs than me.

hotcoffee

King James Bible
And they shall sever out men of continual employment, passing through the land to bury with the passengers those that remain upon the face of the earth, to cleanse it: after the end of seven months shall they search.
http://biblehub.com/ezekiel/39-14.htm

I believe it is talking about a much larger more. If you had 2 million Jews in Israel burrying one or two bodies every day for seven months, how many people would you have to bury? I'm guessing at least 420 million at the least.

According to what I believe, these interpretations don't fit Ezekiel 39:14.

I think Ezekiel 39 is more about the battle of Armageddon than the destruction of Jerusalem.

C

Chuckt

I think Ezekiel 39 is more about the battle of Armageddon than the destruction of Jerusalem.

If the nations gather around Israel, what do you think they will destroy in the battle of Armageddon?

hotcoffee

If the nations gather around Israel, what do you think they will destroy in the battle of Armageddon?

I don't think these verses in Matthew 24 are talking about Armageddon. I think they are talking about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD.

We're still waiting on the battle of Armageddon. Before Armageddon, I think there is a lot more prophecy to fulfill.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I use to think that until I tried to get along with Christians that held different beliefs than me.

So what's keeping you from getting along with others that have differing opinions than yours? Especially if they demonstrate by their fruits and testimony that they are believers?

Check out this site - 13 commentaries about evenly split on the subject:

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/24-29.htm

I'm sure there are lots more.

This passage, and others, are often discussed in our weekly Bible studies as we come upon them, and rarely does any of my fellow believers become absolutely dogmatic on a prophecy that remains a mystery. If they do, I just say more power to ya, bro or sis, but if you're wrong or right, same for me, or if we are both off base, we'll still see you in heaven.

We have plenty of disagreements on prophecy - who doesn't? - but once everybody has had their say, we just move on and remain a family.

It's not worth splitting an assembly over, or even opening wedges with friends, to not be flexible enough to just say we'll just agree to disagree on a mystery left by the Lord that has nothing to do with eternal destiny. After all, eternity is the ultimate goal of the scriptures

Last edited:
C

Chuckt

So what's keeping you from getting along with others that have differing opinions than yours? Especially if they demonstrate by their fruits and testimony that they are believers?

Check out this site - 13 commentaries about evenly split on the subject:

Because they are dead spiritually and not everyone that says Lord Lord shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Because it is being unequally yoked.
Because it keeps me and other Christians from being what God wants us to be.
Because it hides the truth from you and other people.
Because prophecy is about Jesus Christ. Would you lie or cover up about Jesus Christ for unity?
Because denominations sometimes make assumptions and they build walls around the assumptions and their desire is to keep you in the organization so you aren't allowed to challenge beliefs or search for truth. Their little calculator is stuck on subtraction and doesn't function any other way. Should we dumb down the church for the world or bring glory to God's truth? Should we hold everyone back for you?
What if God wants to do something new? Why should we do it that way when we've always done it this way? What if God wants to do it this way? Are you always going to do it that way?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Because they are dead spiritually and not everyone that says Lord Lord shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Because it is being unequally yoked.
Because it keeps me and other Christians from being what God wants us to be.
Because it hides the truth from you and other people.
Because prophecy is about Jesus Christ. Would you lie or cover up about Jesus Christ for unity?
Because denominations sometimes make assumptions and they build walls around the assumptions and their desire is to keep you in the organization so you aren't allowed to challenge beliefs or search for truth. Their little calculator is stuck on subtraction and doesn't function any other way. Should we dumb down the church for the world or bring glory to God's truth? Should we hold everyone back for you?
What if God wants to do something new? Why should we do it that way when we've always done it this way? What if God wants to do it this way? Are you always going to do it that way?

So you are the judge of everybody that does not agree with you on every topic of the bible.
You know who is dead spiritually because they do not agree to your best guess.
Who's lying and covering up and covering up anything about Jesus, especially on topics we are to only speculate about, because we will not know for sure until eternity.
Unequally yoked? Like two minds going different directions when neither knows for sure who is right or wrong or in between, then simly deciding to let it go and get back together?
All believers know what God wants us to be, and admitting we don't have all the answers to the Bible is not lying to the Lord - lying to you maybe. Plenty of prophecies have been revealed, others yet to come, others argued about with no set answer today.
What is hiding the truth, chuckt, from anyone that studies the Bible and simply understands that when there is no decisive, definitive answer to a prophecy that can be solidly backed by other scriptures without other scriptures conflicting, or just not supporting your definition/interpretation of a prophecy?
Who said anything about denominations? Your definition above makes you no different than any of your complaints against them.
Is God doing something new going to change scripture? And how would we know it is something new if there is nothing to back that that change is from God? The Bible doesn't change, but people as dogmatic and really narrow minded as you sure seem to want it to, to match your thought process, at least. Do you have a better plan than God's word that hasn't been exposed to anyone else yet?

I've given you the benefit of the doubt since you joined this forum, especially your first thread about why be a catholic, which I 100% agree with. Since then, I have been forced to rethink where you're coming from besides it seems to be all about you.

Last edited:
C

Chuckt

b23hqb,

John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

You can't tell who is saved and whom isn't saved because you can't tell where the spirit comes or where it goes because it is like the wind. Therefore, what happens if your pastor or priest in the pulpit is not saved? At what point do you follow him or not follow him? What is the difference between following a heathen in the world than in the pulpit?

John 10:1 ¶ Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

Robbers and thieves come into the pulpit because that is where they want to be.

John 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers

If I don't follow it is because I don't want to follow strangers. We follow Christ.

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. To misrepresent God is the same sin that Moses got judged for misrepresenting God.

Romans 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

So if you misrepresent God because you want to go along to get along, I'm afraid that you will have to give an account. It isn't about me but about God's will God's way and I'm not God that I can perfectly figure it out but if I know something is wrong then it is the ones who don't follow the Bible that are causing division.

King James Bible
And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/24-11.htm

If it doesn't matter what someone's position on prophecy is because it is a side issue and if we're not to judge then we're disobeying Jesus who said:

Luke 21:8 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

Two commands from above: "Be not deceived" and "go not after them".

When we go along to get along then we're going after them and if it is okay then we're deceived. Truth has a center and when there is their truth and my truth then I'll be going after them if I go after their truth.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Who said anything about going along to get along? When the "truth" is not plainly or undisputedly clear, as is this passage, just wait until the truth is revealed at the time the Lord chooses. It appears you have no tolerance of any dissenting, or merely not agreeing with your takes on things. Anything. I believe you are misrepresenting the truth simply because the truth on this prophecy is not defined without doubt with any or all scripture that may or may not go along with it.

There are a few areas that are not spelled out clearly. That is why they are called "mysteries". You need to be careful - you will have to give an account to God as well - you will not be exempt.

If you want to be dogmatic on topics that are clear as mud, as theologians of far greater caliber and learned reasoning than us for the last 600 years have learned and still debate today, go for it. If you're wrong, which is 50-50, then your reckoning at the judgement seat meeting, and your condemning those that didn't buy into your line of thought, won't sit well for you. The old plank in the eye thing.

That's why these debates have been ongoing for 600 year.

But I guess you have found the answer, the only answer, and that there is no way that you could have possibly misinterpreted it. Right?

onel0126

Bead mumbler
If you want to be dogmatic on topics that are clear as mud, as theologians of far greater caliber and learned reasoning than us for the last 600 years have learned and still debate today, go for it. If you're wrong, which is 50-50, then your reckoning at the judgement seat meeting, and your condemning those that didn't buy into your line of thought, won't sit well for you. The old plank in the eye thing. That's why these debates have been ongoing for 600 year. But I guess you have found the answer, the only answer, and that there is no way that you could have possibly misinterpreted it. Right?
Far be it for me to get involved as you two hurl scripture passages at each other purportedly backing up each other's position...but why 600 years? Does your hatred and disdain for the Catholic Church keep you from giving any credence to theologians from 2000 years ago like the entire Christian world did?

C

Chuckt

Who said anything about going along to get along? When the "truth" is not plainly or undisputedly clear, as is this passage, just wait until the truth is revealed at the time the Lord chooses. It appears you have no tolerance of any dissenting, or merely not agreeing with your takes on things. Anything. I believe you are misrepresenting the truth simply because the truth on this prophecy is not defined without doubt with any or all scripture that may or may not go along with it.

Then what point is it for Jesus to talk or for prophecy that came from God through His prophets if you are going to be waiting for the truth to appear when it is too late?

If you are going to wait to believe the truth then, how are we any different than those who don't believe the truth? If you don't believe the truth now, you don't believe the truth.

King James Bible
That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
http://biblehub.com/2_thessalonians/2-12.htm

King James Bible
But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
http://biblehub.com/john/10-26.htm

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

King James Bible
And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
http://biblehub.com/luke/6-46.htm

Do you think people can go to heaven who don't believe the truth now? Do you think God will let them change their answer later?

hotcoffee

Then what point is it for Jesus to talk or for prophecy that came from God through His prophets if you are going to be waiting for the truth to appear when it is too late?

If you are going to wait to believe the truth then, how are we any different than those who don't believe the truth? If you don't believe the truth now, you don't believe the truth.

King James Bible
That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
http://biblehub.com/2_thessalonians/2-12.htm

King James Bible
But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
http://biblehub.com/john/10-26.htm

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

King James Bible
And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
http://biblehub.com/luke/6-46.htm

Do you think people can go to heaven who don't believe the truth now? Do you think God will let them change their answer later?

Here's where I think the point is being missed. The truth, the only truth that matters, is that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God. He was born of the virgin, suffered under Pilot, was crucified, and laid in a borrowed tomb.... to raise after three days and ascended into Heaven where He sits on the right hand of God. The truth is He did all that for us.... He took on our sins as they were His own so that those who have faith in Him will never die. The only real truth that really matters is that He loves us.