Matthew 24 Heavenly bodies will be shaken

hotcoffee

Matthew 24:29 “Immediately after the distress of those days

“‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’(b)

b.Matthew 24:29 Isaiah 13:10; Isaiah 34:4

The commentaries are really split on the meaning of this verse. Some believe this is all about the second coming and others believe that this is still about the destruction of the Temple. In the Bible Studies I've been in over the years, the teachers leaned toward the Second Coming. I'm not so sure this is right though.

Jesus uses the words "Immediately after the distress of those days". That means, IMHO, immediately after the destruction of the Temple.

They are all sitting on the hillside looking toward the Temple. The heavy gold inlay on the blocks of its walls is gleaming in the sunlight. Jesus has been crying over its demise that will happen in 70AD. He has been describing what will happen in 70AD. Why would He suddenly shift into another subject when the tears in His eyes haven't dried yet?

Let's look back at what the Jews expected out of the Messiah. The Jews expected the Messiah to come in like a warrior and clean out the government, take back the city and free the Jews from Roman Rule. They were expecting a human response.

Here's one commentary showing that Jesus is still talking about 70AD.

We are now come to the last act of this dismal tragedy, the destruction of Jerusalem, and the final dissolution of the Jewish polity in church and state, which our Lord, for several reasons, might not think fit to declare nakedly and plainly, and therefore chose to clothe his discourse in figurative language. Commentators, indeed, have generally understood this, and what follows, of the end of the world, and of Christ’s coming to judgment: but the words, immediately after the tribulation of those days, show evidently that he is not speaking of any distant event, but of something immediately consequent upon the tribulation before mentioned, and that must be the destruction of the temple and city of Jerusalem, and the abolition of the Jewish polity, civil and religious. It is true, his figures are very strong, but not stronger than those used by the ancient prophets upon similar occasions. The Prophet Isaiah speaks in the same manner of the destruction of Babylon, Isaiah 13:10, The stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light; the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine. The Prophet Ezekiel describes in similar terms the destruction coming on Egypt, Ezekiel 32:7-8. When I shall put thee out I will cover the heaven, and make the stars thereof dark; I will cover the sun with a cloud, and the moon shall not give her light. The Prophet Daniel also uses similar language, when speaking of the slaughter of the Jews by the little horn, meaning probably Antiochus Epiphanes: And it waxed great even unto the host of heaven; and cast down some of the host and of the stars to the ground, and stamped upon them. And lastly, God, by Joel, foretelling this very same destruction of Jerusalem, Joel 2:30-31, says, I will show wonders in heaven and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood. So that great commotions and revolutions upon earth are often represented by commotions and changes in the heavens.​

Jesus knew what was going to happen.

:coffee:

C

Chuckt

Matthew 24:29 “Immediately after the distress of those days

“‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’(b)

b.Matthew 24:29 Isaiah 13:10; Isaiah 34:4

The commentaries are really split on the meaning of this verse. Some believe this is all about the second coming and others believe that this is still about the destruction of the Temple. In the Bible Studies I've been in over the years, the teachers leaned toward the Second Coming. I'm not so sure this is right though.

Jesus uses the words "Immediately after the distress of those days". That means, IMHO, immediately after the destruction of the Temple.

Sometimes prophecies are dual prophecies so it might be the future temple but I would have to look at the verse but the context is around the tribulation.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The last day(s) of the Great Trib just before the Lord makes his 2nd return. All those nations left will mourn when they see this sign, for they will know, they will realize, belatedly, that the time of their judgement has arrived. No looking back, no do overs, no appeals. They be toast.

The last day(s) of the Great Trib just before the Lord makes his 2nd return. All those nations left will mourn when they see this sign, for they will know, they will realize, belatedly, that the time of their judgement has arrived. No looking back, no do overs, no appeals. They be toast.

OR....it will turn out to be a bunch of ancient BS.

hotcoffee

The Great Tribulation.

People go through tribulations in their lives. I'm sure those people who were trapped in the Temple when it was being burnt to the ground thought they were in the great tribulation.

I just don't think that was it. I'm sure the verses that follow are about the Second Coming.... but not the first verses.

C

Chuckt

People go through tribulations in their lives. I'm sure those people who were trapped in the Temple when it was being burnt to the ground thought they were in the great tribulation.

I just don't think that was it. I'm sure the verses that follow are about the Second Coming.... but not the first verses.

Daniel 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

The prince shall destroy the city and the temple.

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

The anti-Christ will cause the sacrifice to cease through the destruction of the temple.

hotcoffee

Daniel 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

The prince shall destroy the city and the temple.

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

The anti-Christ will cause the sacrifice to cease through the destruction of the temple.

Check this out a little more. First the Greeks, then the Romans made deals with the chief priests. Then the priests started bribing the officials to get the position in the Temple. So the priests were corrupt.

Then on top of that, after the crucifixion, the Romans brought a statue of their god and set it up in the Temple. That's what happened in about 68AD. that's when the Jews stopped sacrificing.

Haven't you been reading along?

C

Chuckt

Check this out a little more. First the Greeks, then the Romans made deals with the chief priests. Then the priests started bribing the officials to get the position in the Temple. So the priests were corrupt.

Then on top of that, after the crucifixion, the Romans brought a statue of their god and set it up in the Temple. That's what happened in about 68AD. that's when the Jews stopped sacrificing.

Haven't you been reading along?

I don't accept Preterism or those explanations.

hotcoffee

I don't accept Preterism or those explanations.

OK... I looked up Preterism. I do see your point.

I'm not a preacher. I've never been to seminary. I don't count myself among those who have studied the Bible and know all the labels [like Preterism].

I am simply a Christian reading the Bible and reading the commentaries. There are some very interesting historical events that coincide with the prophecies. I simply do not believe that when Jesus Ascended everything went on hold until God decides the time is right for Him to return. I think God's plan continues. It's re-assures me that He is still at work and the plan is still in action.

C

Chuckt

OK... I looked up Preterism. I do see your point.

I'm not a preacher. I've never been to seminary. I don't count myself among those who have studied the Bible and know all the labels [like Preterism].

I am simply a Christian reading the Bible and reading the commentaries. There are some very interesting historical events that coincide with the prophecies. I simply do not believe that when Jesus Ascended everything went on hold until God decides the time is right for Him to return. I think God's plan continues. It's re-assures me that He is still at work and the plan is still in action.

I'm pre-tribulational, pre-wrath and pre-millenial because that is the only viewpoint that I can hold without the Bible contradicting commonly held viewpoints.
If you have a kindle reader or kindle, I can gift you a book on the rapture that explains my viewpoint quite well from the Bible with history from the anti-nicean fathers and other church history.

hotcoffee

I'm pre-tribulational, pre-wrath and pre-millenial because that is the only viewpoint that I can hold without the Bible contradicting commonly held viewpoints.
If you have a kindle reader or kindle, I can gift you a book on the rapture that explains my viewpoint quite well from the Bible with history from the anti-nicean fathers and other church history.

Chuck.... good for you! I mean that sincerely. I think we're on the same page.... most of the time.... well maybe some of the time anyway... :)

Either you or I could not breath the next breath and go. I think we know what fate awaits us. Either we will see Heaven next or not. It is far more important than all this pre-tribulational, pre-wrath and pre-millenia talk.

Jesus told us we would be persecuted. He also said that He's coming back. We've been told that it will be a sudden event.

I'm pretty sure that all of us will be taken by surprise. It's up to each of us to be ready for it.

Jesus talked a lot about the Temple. It was very important to Him. I can't very well ignore the events that happened in 70AD. I'm sure you'll understand when I say I can't very well ignore what happened in Germany, Jonestown, and now in South Carolina. These are historical events. These are fact. HOWEVER, I think when Jesus was up on that hillside looking back at the Temple shimmering in the sunlight, He was telling those in His inner circle all about the events that are to come.

So I'm not being religious when I post these verses and some of the commentary. I'm being faithful.

God knows what is going to happen. He'll show us glimpses if we ask Him. He said so....

Jeremiah 33:33 While Jeremiah was still confined in the courtyard of the guard, the word of the Lord came to him a second time: 2 “This is what the Lord says, he who made the earth, the Lord who formed it and established it—the Lord is his name: 3 ‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’ 4 For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says about the houses in this city and the royal palaces of Judah that have been torn down to be used against the siege ramps and the sword 5 in the fight with the Babylonians[a]: ‘They will be filled with the dead bodies of the people I will slay in my anger and wrath. I will hide my face from this city because of all its wickedness.​

Last edited: