Windows 10

John Z

if you will
I scheduled my upgrade to occur overnight last night on my home computer (which was running Windows 7). I haven't checked on it yet. I am curious on how things went. Spent a couple of hours backing up some data onto an external HD just in case....

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I was going to update my Vaio laptop but will have to wait because I'm iffy on a few drivers. I checked Sony's website and they are recommending we wait until they can test the drivers.

My son upgraded his last night and after getting some driver issues solved, he says it is working like a champ.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I like it so far, Edge seems to be a great browser. I actually wish we would move to 10 at work.

easy to disable. it asks you first thing.

Windows 10 is, hands down, better.

I upgraded a Windows 7 desktop.

The one thing that is gone and I know I will miss is Windows Media. :ohwell: I loved Windows Media :bawl: But I have a feeling they are going to offer it as a standalone, for purchase, later. If they don't, they are stupid.

So I had to find other alternatives..
In order to watch DVDs, I downloaded VLC Media. My PC TV tuner came with WinTV8 which is okay but Windows Media was so much better for watching and recording live TV. I’ve been messing with some other media programs, Kodi/Kodi based, that require coding which I find complex at this stage.

Chrome users will find a better experience but Firefox users may find some bugs... but Firefox, IMO, has been buggy lately anyway. :shrug:

Last edited:

BigBlue

I like it but had a problem losing my sound(speakers).After playing around I just went into the programs that were downloaded with it and got rid of their HD sound download now everything is working fine .

Hank

my war
Windows 10 is, hands down, better.

I upgraded a Windows 7 desktop.

The one thing that is gone and I know I will miss is Windows Media. :ohwell: I loved Windows Media :bawl: But I have a feeling they are going to offer it as a standalone, for purchase, later. If they don't, they are stupid.

So I had to find other alternatives..
In order to watch DVDs, I downloaded VLC Media. My PC TV tuner came with WinTV8 which is okay but Windows Media was so much better for watching and recording live TV. I’ve been messing with some other media programs, Kodi/Kodi based, that require coding which I find complex at this stage.

Chrome users will find a better experience but Firefox users may find some bugs... but Firefox, IMO, has been buggy lately anyway. :shrug:

I'm liking 10... Definite improvements... I agree w/ Firefox. It has been running like Explorer used to. I am going to see if it runs any better with 10, if not I will switch to Chrome.

So far, the reviews have been good. Ease of use, ease of upgrade, etc.... BUT...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/opinions/gosier-microsoft-windows-10/index.html

This is not Bing: The Sequel. It's something much bigger and smarter. At this point, Microsoft's operating system ships with a lot of services that users are already familiar with and dependent upon (e.g., OneNote, Outlook, Word, Excel). Windows 10 makes it clear that anything you do in these apps can (and likely will) be scanned, parsed, and sold to advertisers. Your emails, messages and documents -- nothing is off limits.

As someone who tries to fly under the radar, this is a big deal.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
So far, the reviews have been good. Ease of use, ease of upgrade, etc.... BUT...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/opinions/gosier-microsoft-windows-10/index.html

As someone who tries to fly under the radar, this is a big deal.

I saw some articles on that today and something about ads... too bad I have a memory of a 2 year old. :ohwell: If I come across them again, I'll post them but it had to do with turning some of this stuff off.

I'll tell you something creepy. I am debating on selling a camera online and went to check my Facebook and ebay has a post "are you still thinking about" and the pictures of the camera. :eyebrow:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I saw some articles on that today and something about ads... too bad I have a memory of a 2 year old. :ohwell: If I come across them again, I'll post them but it had to do with turning some of this stuff off.

I'll tell you something creepy. I am debating on selling a camera online and went to check my Facebook and ebay has a post "are you still thinking about" and the pictures of the camera. :eyebrow:

Hmmmm. :ohwell:

Dakota

~~~~~~~

I've looked at stuff on Overstock or Amazon and had the same thing happen so I shouldn't be surprised. It was happening BEFORE I upgraded to windows 10. Anyway, I listed it and realized I'm real rusty at this ebay thing. A few years ago, I sold hundreds of things online and was much faster at making listings.

Warron

I removed the windows 10 update app on my computers after learning you cannot control when updates are downloaded in windows 10 home version. I prefer to do updates manually so they do not interfere with other downloading or streaming. If they don't add the ability to control what is downloaded or when it is downloaded, it likely will be a long long time until I update.

I removed the windows 10 update app on my computers after learning you cannot control when updates are downloaded in windows 10 home version. I prefer to do updates manually so they do not interfere with other downloading or streaming. If they don't add the ability to control what is downloaded or when it is downloaded, it likely will be a long long time until I update.

Did you notice if you can change what gets downloaded? I found many of the "recommended" updates include hardware patches for non-Microsoft hardware, and they generally don't work. I prefer to load only critical patches and hand-select recommended patches.

Warron

Did you notice if you can change what gets downloaded? I found many of the "recommended" updates include hardware patches for non-Microsoft hardware, and they generally don't work. I prefer to load only critical patches and hand-select recommended patches.

I read that all important updates are downloaded and installed whether you like it or not, whenever they come available, with the home version. You can schedule the install, but not the download. Pro version lets you switch it to inform you before download using group policy (a sort of back door method). Its $99 to upgrade though. To pick and choose updates you have to download another tool from microsoft. But with the home version, it won't really tell you what the updates are ahead of time so once again you will need the pro or enterprise versions.

Optional updates you can choose I believe. I read you are not forced to download them, but don't have any more information. Maybe someone who has windows 10 already knows?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Thanks for the heads up somdfunguy. Disabled just about everything in the list.

Warron, thanks for the update info. I didn't know this, and where I live, I have to pay for access big time through VZW.

I may go Pro when the budget looks better, but for now will mooch bandwidth when they're needed.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I have been running it for just over a week. I did the upgrade from Win 8.1 and after the upgrade I downloaded the .iso file and did a clean install. I was having some issues with Win 8.1 and the upgrade just ported those problems forward. I had already planned on a clean install and had everything backed up (even for the upgrade). Everything is working perfectly and I haven't had a single glitch. The computer boots faster. I have only run Edge a couple of times and pretty much stick with Chrome.

All my other software and apps loaded and ran just fine. It was just a bit different connecting my Canon WiFi printer but that was easy to work through.

I really like it so far.