by a vote of 12 - 0 LA Bans ALL Hi Cap Mags

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
California Lawmakers Send Defiant Message to NRA After Taking Major Action on Gun Control

Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to make it illegal to be in possession of high-capacity ammo magazines, likely setting up a new Second Amendment battle in the Golden State.

After passing the measure with a 12-0 vote, Councilman Paul Krekorian reportedly challenged the National Rifle Association.

“If the NRA wants to sue us over this, bring it on.” he said.

Even though California law already prohibits the manufacturing of high-capacity magazines, lawmakers argued the so-called “loophole” that allowed people to own them has become a public safety issue amid recent shootings.

People who own magazines that hold more than 10 rounds will have 60 days from the time the law goes into effect to destroy, legally sell or surrender them. Violators will face a misdemeanor charge, The Los Angeles Times reported.

In a statement released on Tuesday, the NRA urged Los Angeles officials to start enforcing federal gun laws before passing new gun control measures.

Hijinx

California Lawmakers Send Defiant Message to NRA After Taking Major Action on Gun Control

Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to make it illegal to be in possession of high-capacity ammo magazines, likely setting up a new Second Amendment battle in the Golden State.

After passing the measure with a 12-0 vote, Councilman Paul Krekorian reportedly challenged the National Rifle Association.

“If the NRA wants to sue us over this, bring it on.” he said.

Even though California law already prohibits the manufacturing of high-capacity magazines, lawmakers argued the so-called “loophole” that allowed people to own them has become a public safety issue amid recent shootings.

People who own magazines that hold more than 10 rounds will have 60 days from the time the law goes into effect to destroy, legally sell or surrender them. Violators will face a misdemeanor charge, The Los Angeles Times reported.

In a statement released on Tuesday, the NRA urged Los Angeles officials to start enforcing federal gun laws before passing new gun control measures.

Can't we give California back to Mexico?

Amused_despair

I think gun control goes right along with the theory supporting the war on drugs.

Drugs are bad, people can not be trusted to make choices on their own, we need to protect people and society from the bad choices they might make, so lets make them illegal.

Bullets are bad, they have lead in them which is very dangerous. Bullets go into guns, guns are used by people to hurt other people. People can not be trusted to make choices on their own, we need to protect people and society from the bad choices they might make, so lets make them illegal.

This_person

I think gun control goes right along with the theory supporting the war on drugs.

Drugs are bad, people can not be trusted to make choices on their own, we need to protect people and society from the bad choices they might make, so lets make them illegal.

Bullets are bad, they have lead in them which is very dangerous. Bullets go into guns, guns are used by people to hurt other people. People can not be trusted to make choices on their own, we need to protect people and society from the bad choices they might make, so lets make them illegal.
Your first sentence and the rest of what you posted don't go together:

Drugs are bad when used improperly or illegally people can not be trusted to make choices on their own, we need to protect people and society from the bad choices they might make, <no> so lets make the ones that are not appropriate for normal public use illegal, and the rest available by prescription. In this way, people have available to them what is proper for the right reasons in a controlled manner.

Bullets are bad, they have lead in them which is very dangerous. <Nope> Bullets go into guns, guns are sometimes used by people to hurt other people. People can not be trusted to make choices on their own, we need to protect people and society from the bad choices they might make,<no> so lets make them illegal when used improperly. Like medicinal use of drugs, legal use of lethal material is without a doubt valuable, just as illegal use is without a doubt a problem. Treating the use and limiting availability of those weapons that are not appropriate (like nuclear weapons, biological weapons, weapons in the hands of felons, etc.) is very much like keeping the prescription drugs under the control of doctors and pharmacists and makes perfect sense. Additionally, the second amendment restricts the government from infringing upon the right to keep and bear arms.

I think this is what you either meant, or if you didn't, I think you missed the mark.

PsyOps

Pixelated
How in the world could they possibly know who owns what when it comes to magazines? Did they have to register them when they bought them? Or are they going to go house to house of people they know own semi-autos to find them?

Oh, and............ you get the government you deserve.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
How in the world could they possibly know who owns what when it comes to magazines? Did they have to register them when they bought them? Or are they going to go house to house of people they know own semi-autos to find them?

Oh, and............ you get the government you deserve.

IMHO:

Law Abiding Subjects will dispose of them, rather than tempt jail over getting caught
.... scofflaws will hold on to what they have, waiting for the revolution to start and them break them out, along with there hidden weapons ....

bikers and gang bangers - aka criminals could care less

I could see some in the police dept making a play, demanding sales records from gun dealers, and businesses supplying firearms accessories [as a way to scare compliance from NON Criminals]

nutz

IMHO:

Law Abiding Subjects will dispose of them, rather than tempt jail over getting caught
.... scofflaws will hold on to what they have, waiting for the revolution to start and them break them out, along with there hidden weapons ....

bikers and gang bangers - aka criminals could care less

I could see some in the police dept making a play, demanding sales records from gun dealers, and businesses supplying firearms accessories [as a way to scare compliance from NON Criminals]
Fear of getting in trouble.......that's what stops most people from doing the wrong thing. If and when you can overcome that feeling, is the sky the limit?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

If I walk out of a gun shop, Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc., with some ammo, mags and gun cleaning supplies, etc....what information is there in that transaction that is going to help LE come confiscate my "high capacity" magazines? If I purchase a firearm, on the other hand, of course there is a specific paper trail for that.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Fear of getting in trouble.......that's what stops most people from doing the wrong thing. If and when you can overcome that feeling, is the sky the limit?

The limits of sky come with an intrusive government dictating to us what we can have and not have because they have deemed us too dangerous for our own good. In this case, the government mandating that owning ammo magazines of a certain capacity as 'wrong' is just ridiculous and wrong. Turning law-abiding citizens, that are harming no one, because they own something is wrong.

Amused_despair

The limits of sky come with an intrusive government dictating to us what we can have and not have because they have deemed us too dangerous for our own good. In this case, the government mandating that owning ammo magazines of a certain capacity as 'wrong' is just ridiculous and wrong. Turning law-abiding citizens, that are harming no one, because they own something is wrong.

People have already told the government to go ahead and outlaw stuff that the government thinks is dangerous...now they are surprised when the government starts outlawing stuff they weren't expecting the government to consider dangerous?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If I walk out of a gun shop, Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc., with some ammo, mags and gun cleaning supplies, etc....what information is there in that transaction that is going to help LE come confiscate my "high capacity" magazines? If I purchase a firearm, on the other hand, of course there is a specific paper trail for that.

stores do a good JOB of tracking Inventory - :shrug:

and credit card record, of the transaction

less useful if you paid cash