Matthew 24 This generation

hotcoffee

Matthew 24:32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

e.Matthew 24:33 Or he

Ok, it's been suggested that the verses in Matthew 24 might teach more than one lesson. I'm beginning to think there might be merit to that discussion.

Back in Exodus 36 God instructed the Jews on how He wanted them to build the Tabernacle [and the instruction continues into Exodus 37-39 with instruction on building everything inside it]. In a Bible Study about these chapters in Exodus, Beth Moore, said that the Tabernacle and everything in it was a copy of what is actually in Heaven.

So, it makes sense that the destruction of the Temple in 70AD may just be a small example of what is coming.

The fig tree.... There are farmers and gardeners who can tell you when the crops are going to be ready for harvest.

This generation
.... the commentaries are split.... some say that "this generation" means the Disciples that Jesus is talking to. John lived past 70AD. He saw it. Others say that "this generation" means the whole race.

It has been suggested that the word generation could also be translated "race," and is a promise that the Jewish race would not be extinguished and would survive to the end. This would be a valuable promise, but some commentators claim this is an embarrassingly wrong translation. Yet others - such as Adam Clarke, who strongly believed this the events of this chapter were almost all fulfilled in A.D. 70 - writes, "This race; i.e. the Jews shall not cease from being a distinct people, till all the counsels of God relative to them and the Gentiles be fulfilled."​

This thought plagues me when I read these verses.

Jesus started a new generation... one that would never die.

Jesus knows what is going to happen.

:coffee: