Age discrimination at contractors NAS/PAX

Carole

Is anyone or does anyone know of age discrimination happening at contractors on NAS/PAX RIVER?
Multi-Quote This Message

Carole said:
Yesterday 11:52 PM
Angry Age discrimination at contractors NAS PAX
:

dan0623_2000

Age discrimination by itself is illegal, however most companies start taking a had look at their older employees and monitoring their work more closely.

I've seen it happen with contracting several times over the course of 25 years. There are many ways a company can legally get rid of their more expensive employees and put more cost-effective younger bodies in their billable positions. In my opinion it is common practice.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've seen it happen with contracting several times over the course of 25 years. There are many ways a company can legally get rid of their more expensive employees and put more cost-effective younger bodies in their billable positions. In my opinion it is common practice.

Glad my job is dependent upon what I know, which can only be come by through a long and varied work history :)

steppinthrax

Contracting is Contracting!!!!

I'm a federal contractor. In general there are not guarantees and they can do anything they want. I get it, there are rights, but in general when you are doing contracting the odds are stacked up against you from the start.

The worse is the federal employees who discriminate against contractors for being contractors!!!!

Stew

Since the last recession my job has been pushing older workers out the door left and right and hiring much younger workers; paying them half of what they paid the older workers. Some of the things they did to get rid of the older workers were brutal.

steppinthrax

Since the last recession my job has been pushing older workers out the door left and right and hiring much younger workers; paying them half of what they paid the older workers. Some of the things they did to get rid of the older workers were brutal.

I'm a young worker (30's) and it goes both ways. I've worked (first job) in a hospital doing IT work and I can tell you my age came up several times. Mainly because I was more educated and had a higher skillset than many of the other workers in their 50's among me.

In addition that "paying them half of what they paid the older workers" is no longer true. I can tell you they have a guy here who's been here 15 years and he's nearing he's 60's I have access to salary information. They are paying him less than what they bought me in at and I just started a month ago.

Grumpy

I'm a young worker (30's) and it goes both ways. I've worked (first job) in a hospital doing IT work and I can tell you my age came up several times. Mainly because I was more educated and had a higher skillset than many of the other workers in their 50's among me.

In addition that "paying them half of what they paid the older workers" is no longer true. I can tell you they have a guy here who's been here 15 years and he's nearing he's 60's I have access to salary information. They are paying him less than what they bought me in at and I just started a month ago.

Maybe it was your suave sophistication that merited your higher pay rate?

BernieP

Resident PIA

There you have it, there has been a push on to cut costs and a lot of the CSS contracts have been based almost entirely on cutting salaries.
Unfortunately it's the more experienced employees that are taking the hit, they are not just being paid for their experience, but the value it brings to the program.
Younger bodies don't necessarily mean more cost effective. If they can't do the quality of the work that the experience person does, how effective is that?
Nobody is looking at the performance of the individuals, the driving factor is reducing costs.
It's also somewhat prejudicial to even say what you said. I know plenty of senior level people who out perform, out work, their younger counterparts. They bring more discipline and a more professional work ethic to the office than the low cost replacements.

Roman

There you have it, there has been a push on to cut costs and a lot of the CSS contracts have been based almost entirely on cutting salaries.
Unfortunately it's the more experienced employees that are taking the hit, they are not just being paid for their experience, but the value it brings to the program.
Younger bodies don't necessarily mean more cost effective. If they can't do the quality of the work that the experience person does, how effective is that?
Nobody is looking at the performance of the individuals, the driving factor is reducing costs.
It's also somewhat prejudicial to even say what you said. I know plenty of senior level people who out perform, out work, their younger counterparts. They bring more discipline and a more professional work ethic to the office than the low cost replacements.
Very well said BernieP. Employers see a few wrinkles and think we'd ask for a lot more money. As an employer at one time, I welcomed the wrinkles because I knew they probably wouldn't have day care issues, maternity leave requests, and that they would bring with them a professional work ethic. Not saying that the younger crew wouldn't. Age discrimination has been going on for years, and that's pretty sad.

SoMDGirl42

I've seen companies that have had the same contracts for 20+ years lose their contracts this year for the smaller companies with smaller salaries. There are going to be some folks hit with major pay cuts just to keep the job they've had for decades.

Stew

In addition that "paying them half of what they paid the older workers" is no longer true.

Depends on the industry/job. I know for a fact that they're paying new folks half of what they paid the older workers that they replaced. In some cases even less. They hired somebody a few months ago and asked them what salary they were looking for. The salary they said they wanted was $10k less than what the company was offering but they didn't know that. They got hired at the rate they said they wanted and the company saved another $10k!

SoMDGirl42

Depends on the industry/job. I know for a fact that they're paying new folks half of what they paid the older workers that they replaced. In some cases even less. They hired somebody a few months ago and asked them what salary they were looking for. The salary they said they wanted was $10k less than what the company was offering but they didn't know that. They got hired at the rate they said they wanted and the company saved another $10k!

:doh:

always, always, always aim high. My ex recently did this again when he accepted a position. He's getting raped with the new job, and I told him "I told you so" dummy

Stew

:doh:

always, always, always aim high.

Agree but a lot of people are scared that if they ask for too much that they won't get hired. Sad thing is after they get hired and find out that others doing the exact same job are making a lot more, it builds animosity towards the others i.e. hater-aid!