Cockerpoo

K

Kimmy

Does anyone have a cockerpoo for sale? Or know anyone who has one for sale? Please let me know ASAP! Thanks

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Kimmy
Does anyone have a cockerpoo for sale? Or know anyone who has one for sale? Please let me know ASAP! Thanks

Hmmmm, I wonder what they mixed together to get this breed? :biggrin:

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Hey, justhangn... a cockerpoo is a mutt, not a breed. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a smart-arse. The offspring of two purebred parents of different breeds is a mixed breed, also known as a mutt.

Kimmy, what is it about the cockerpoo that you like? Would you be satisfied with a purebred poodle OR cocker spaniel? Or perhaps a similar-looking dog from the pound that could really use a home?

Sorry, it just gets my drawers in a knot when people create a mixed breed, give it a cutesy name, and sell it for $300. Mixed breeds happen enough without the encouragement of a "breeder".

J

justhangn

Originally posted by seasquirt
Hey, justhangn... a cockerpoo is a mutt, not a breed. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a smart-arse. The offspring of two purebred parents of different breeds is a mixed breed, also known as a mutt.

Kimmy, what is it about the cockerpoo that you like? Would you be satisfied with a purebred poodle OR cocker spaniel? Or perhaps a similar-looking dog from the pound that could really use a home?

Sorry, it just gets my drawers in a knot when people create a mixed breed, give it a cutesy name, and sell it for $300. Mixed breeds happen enough without the encouragement of a "breeder".

Thanks for the info Seasquirt!!

We breed Bichon Frise. I can't understand why people purposely mix breed either.

:cheers:

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by seasquirt
a cockerpoo is a mutt, not a breed.

Could you show me some information that supports this? Just curious because every site I've ever seen lists the Cockerpoo as a breed. :confused:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Actually it is a "cockapoo." There are different registrations but I don't think as yet it's recognized by the AKC. I don't put a whole lot of stock in what the AKC recognizes since they are mostly about confirmation in the breed.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by cattitude
Actually it is a "cockapoo." There are different registrations but I don't think as yet it's recognized by the AKC. I don't put a whole lot of stock in what the AKC recognizes since they are mostly about confirmation in the breed.

Isn't confirmation what it is all about?? :confused:

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Another:

http://www.dogproblems.com/OnChoosing.htm

"What exactly is a breed? Do papers make the dog? Does popularity? Some crosses such as the cockapoo -- one parent a cocker, the other a poodle -- are so common that people start to think of them as a breed in their own right. And while purebred registries aren't in the business of recognizing such dogs, groups are springing up all the time to acknowledge their popularity.

Simply put, a purebred dog is one that, when bred with another of its kind, produces more of the same. Breed a poodle to a poodle and you get a litter of smart, curly-coated wonders. Breed a cocker to a cocker and you get long-eared, sweet natured pups with eyes you can get lost in.

Breed a cockapoo to a cockapoo, though, and you won't necessarily get more of the same. Some pups may look like the parents, some like poodles, and some like cockers.

The ability to produce predictable traits when bred is what defines a purebred. Which makes the cocker spaniel a breed, and so, too, the poodle, but not cockapoos -- or terra-poos, peke-a-poos, or Labradoodles."

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
'nother...

http://www.virtual-paper.com/whistl...664e00163b78/f2a16c08fc0efa380825681e0054ae35!OpenDocument

"Some people do deliberately breed dogs of two different breeds together, and many of these dogs are half poodle, such as the cockapoo (half cocker spaniel, half poodle), the pekepoo (half Pekinese, half poodle), and so on. Often the breeders of these dogs consider these to be "breeds," and that it's nothing but rank elitism that keeps them from being recognized by organizations such as the American Kennel Club. What are the facts here?

There is no question that many mixed breed dogs are beautiful, wonderful, and adorable, and in a perfect world I suppose there would be no harm in carefully using selected purebred dogs to create a new breed whose primary purpose is as a pet. After all, that is how most of the toy breeds were created in the first place.

But this is not a perfect word, and millions of pets are put to sleep every year for lack of good homes. Producing pets for a pet market is not a benign activity. Dog breeding should be a labor of love by someone dedicated to the preservation and betterment of their chosen breed, not a way to make a few bucks. Few if any breeders of "fake" breeds such as the cockapoo have any goal at all other than money, and rarely know anything about the health, conformation, and temperaments of the dogs in their puppies' pedigrees. Both cockers and poodles have several breed related genetic problems that can and do occur in their mixed breed offspring, including fatal conditions and blindness. Since no reputable cocker or poodle breeder would ever allow their dogs to be used in a "cockapoo" breeding, you are guaranteeing that the parents of your puppy are themselves irresponsibly bred. Not only that, but many cute mixed breed dogs are going without homes in America's shelters while some misguided person spends hundreds of dollars on a poo-dog.
To be considered a breed, you have to have qualities and traits that breed true, generation after generation. On the contrary, "fake" breeds don't breed true at all. Each generation starts over with two purebred dogs, because if you breed two cockapoos to each other, you will get many unpredictable traits. Second generation outcrosses tend to possess a high degree of random features. To call mixes such as the cockapoo a "breed" is a complete denial of what a "breed" actually is."

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Originally posted by justhangn

The breed doesn't seem to be AKC certified, but it is recognized by the NACR, CCA.

Of course it's recognized by the NACR and the CCA.

NACR=North American COCKAPOO Registry
CCA=COCKAPOO Club of America

SxyPrincess

Thanks for the links, Sea. :cheers: I'm still a little confused--there are links to support both the "breed" and the "mutt."

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Thanks for the links, Sea. :cheers: I'm still a little confused--there are links to support both the "breed" and the "mutt."

You're quite welcome. There are articles from every angle because anyone can put anything on the internet. Read articles from both sides, and make your own opinion. I personally err on the side of strictness when it comes to conformation, breed registry, etc because there are enough mixed breed dogs that happen by accident that need homes. The only reason I bought a purebred dog as my first was because I intended to show him in conformation and compete with him in agility or field trials. Ironically enough, my golden retriever grew up to look more like a bloodhound, and is extremely clumsy and startled by loud noises. I wouldn't trade him for the world, though.

K

Kimmy

I just asked a simple question and I am VERY SORRY that I got some people panties in a bunch. Just wanted a dog that does not shed that does not get to big and is good with kids. A cockapoo was the first thing that came to mind.

J

justhangn

I just asked a simple question and I am VERY SORRY that I got some people panties in a bunch. Just wanted a dog that does not shed that does not get to big and is good with kids. A cockapoo was the first thing that came to mind.

Worry not, people get half cockerpoo'd sometimes. :lol:

I'll sell you a Bichon Frise in December!!! They do not shed, they only get 12-15 lbs and they don’t have an aggressive bone in their body.

:yay:

Last edited by a moderator:

SxyPrincess

I know you don't want a big dog but, labs and boxers are wonderful around children. I've owned both and never had any behavioral problems with either.

blueeyes76

Just wanted a dog that does not shed that does not get to big and is good with kids.

Yorkshire Terrier. My Yorkie is 5 months old, he weighs about 4 lbs right now, and he probably won't weigh much more than 5lbs when he's full grown. They also don't shed and are good with children.

Not trying to talk you out of the Cockapoo though :wink:

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by blueeyes76

Yorkshire Terrier. My Yorkie is 5 months old, he weighs about 4 lbs right now, and he probably won't weigh much more than 5lbs when he's full grown. They also don't shed and are good with children.

Not trying to talk you out of the Cockapoo though :wink:

I've never seen a well groomed Yorkie. I guess because of their long hair, combing seems impossible. :rolleyes: