Now 60% Chance Of A Government Shutdown

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link

"The chance of a federal government shutdown increased dramatically and precipitously last week from 40 percent to 60 percent. It’s now more likely than not that a shutdown will result from the craziness going on in Washington.

With the House already in recess until after Labor Day and the Senate about to leave town this week, all of the components that had led to my previous 40 percent estimate got worse. There’s now even less time – Congress will be in session only a handful of days before the fiscal year begins on October 1 – for the House and Senate to devote to appropriations.

The leadership has already admitted that nothing has been decided about how to deal with this situation. In other words, this will be the kind of last minute, ad hoc decision that in the past has repeatedly failed and led to unwanted consequences…like a shutdown. In budget technical terms, the House and Senate leadership will be flying by the seat of its pants.

With the House having passed only six of the fiscal 2016 appropriations and the full Senate having considered none, few of the major program decisions have yet to be made and there won’t be time in September for Congress to make many (or even any) of them.

Add to the lack of time the ever-hardening positions on the key appropriations question of military vs. domestic spending. Congressional Republicans continue to insist that there be more for the Pentagon and less for domestic departments and agencies; House and Senate Democrats continue to demand more for both and are willing to get in the way of legislation that doesn’t do that. It’s not clear at this late point in the year how the continuing resolution that will be needed to keep the government open in the absence of regular appropriations can possibly satisfy both sides.

Meanwhile, the White House keeps promising a veto if the CR has higher military but lower domestic spending, and the threat seems real."

Hijinx

Link

"The chance of a federal government shutdown increased dramatically and precipitously last week from 40 percent to 60 percent. It’s now more likely than not that a shutdown will result from the craziness going on in Washington.

With the House already in recess until after Labor Day and the Senate about to leave town this week, all of the components that had led to my previous 40 percent estimate got worse. There’s now even less time – Congress will be in session only a handful of days before the fiscal year begins on October 1 – for the House and Senate to devote to appropriations.

The leadership has already admitted that nothing has been decided about how to deal with this situation. In other words, this will be the kind of last minute, ad hoc decision that in the past has repeatedly failed and led to unwanted consequences…like a shutdown. In budget technical terms, the House and Senate leadership will be flying by the seat of its pants.

With the House having passed only six of the fiscal 2016 appropriations and the full Senate having considered none, few of the major program decisions have yet to be made and there won’t be time in September for Congress to make many (or even any) of them.

Add to the lack of time the ever-hardening positions on the key appropriations question of military vs. domestic spending. Congressional Republicans continue to insist that there be more for the Pentagon and less for domestic departments and agencies; House and Senate Democrats continue to demand more for both and are willing to get in the way of legislation that doesn’t do that. It’s not clear at this late point in the year how the continuing resolution that will be needed to keep the government open in the absence of regular appropriations can possibly satisfy both sides.

Meanwhile, the White House keeps promising a veto if the CR has higher military but lower domestic spending, and the threat seems real."

S.O.S. Same old sh1t ever year. The sky isn't going to fall and the welfare checks will arrive on time.

Amused_despair

Sequester took a nice bite out of the local economy here last time, don't be so hasty to cut your own throat just to make a point. it is not just welfare that gets paid for with government dollars.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sequester took a nice bite out of the local economy here last time, don't be so hasty to cut your own throat just to make a point. it is not just welfare that gets paid for with government dollars.

The boy is quite content to live on the public dole...and quite invested in Barry accordingly.

PeoplesElbow

I wish I was one of those lucky people that got "shut down" and told not to come into work and got paid anyway.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

If your "local economy here" is the DC federal govt beltway around Md and Va, whatever hit you took there was short, with most federal workers paid after the fact for lost time. No one related to the Feds in that area will be hurt for long, if at all, unlike the rest of the country not shielded by Capitol Hill.

Sequestration is a necessary evil. More actually needs to be done, and I will be one of those probably affected as well.

Midnightrider

If your "local economy here" is the DC federal govt beltway around Md and Va, whatever hit you took there was short, with most federal workers paid after the fact for lost time. No one related to the Feds in that area will be hurt for long, if at all, unlike the rest of the country not shielded by Capitol Hill.

Sequestration is a necessary evil. More actually needs to be done, and I will be one of those probably affected as well.

thats not the way it worked for MOST people. Most people were not paid after the fact in the lasdt two shutdowns. Maybe thats how it worked 20 years ago when it happened, but not this time

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
thats not the way it worked for MOST people. Most people were not paid after the fact in the lasdt two shutdowns. Maybe thats how it worked 20 years ago when it happened, but not this time

mmm hmmm.

Federal workers furloughed during last month's partial government shutdown will receive about $2 billion in back pay, the White House said Thursday.
About 850,000 federal employees were furloughed for at least part of the 16-day shutdown, leading to a loss of 6.6 million work days, the Office of Management and Budget said in a report detailing some of the costs of the fiscal standoff.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-mo-shutdown-back-pay-furlough-workers-white-house-20131107-story.html

DEEKAYPEE8569

Although I'm not sure how; or even if, another shutdown would effect Federal retirees or their beneficiaries/survivors; for me, it elevates concern.
Of course, I'm talking about my Mom.

This_person

Congressional Republicans continue to insist that there be more for the Pentagon and less for domestic departments and agencies; House and Senate Democrats continue to demand more for both and are willing to get in the way of legislation that doesn’t do that. Meanwhile, the White House keeps promising a veto if the CR has higher military but lower domestic spending, and the threat seems real."
At the time I write this post, the federal debt is over $18,333,000,000,000, and "House and Senate Democrats continue to demand more [spending] and are willing to get in the way of legislation that doesn't do that.", and the president is ready to veto legislation that doesn't do that.

Why are the Democrats so hell bent to shut down the government if they just can't have more generational theft? And, how does ANYONE support a person who is all for not just continuing but further increasing the federal government (via we, the voters) stealing from our kids and grandkids in this way?

Midnightrider

At the time I write this post, the federal debt is over $18,333,000,000,000, and "House and Senate Democrats continue to demand more [spending] and are willing to get in the way of legislation that doesn't do that.", and the president is ready to veto legislation that doesn't do that.

Why are the Democrats so hell bent to shut down the government if they just can't have more generational theft? And, how does ANYONE support a person who is all for not just continuing but further increasing the federal government (via we, the voters) stealing from our kids and grandkids in this way?

they all want more spending, they are just arguing over how much more and on what.