This woman wants her cake and wants to be able to eat it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's what I've always understood the saying to contemplate, that there's some visual value to a cake which is lost when when you cut it up and / or eat it.

And "Let them east cake" always made sense to me. The bakery is out of bread...so, whatya got? How 'bout some bear claws??? Jelly donuts?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And "Let them east cake" always made sense to me. The bakery is out of bread...so, whatya got? How 'bout some bear claws??? Jelly donuts?

...box of one dozen starving, crazed weasels...

Of course people want to have their cake and eat it, too; that's what cake is for.

This_person

That's what I've always understood the saying to contemplate, that there's some visual value to a cake which is lost when when you cut it up and / or eat it.

No, the phrase is about wanting the impossible. "Having your cake and eating it too" is about having a lot of savings, and yet spending all your money. It's about a dog who wants you to throw the ball, but won't let go of the ball to let you throw it. It's about wanting to both have the cake in it's entirety, and wanting to eat the cake. You can't do that. You can't have a huge savings account if you don't save money. You can't throw the ball for the dog if the dog keeps the ball. You can't have a whole cake and eat the cake both.

stgislander

PREMO Member
No, the phrase is about wanting the impossible. "Having your cake and eating it too" is about having a lot of savings, and yet spending all your money. It's about a dog who wants you to throw the ball, but won't let go of the ball to let you throw it. It's about wanting to both have the cake in it's entirety, and wanting to eat the cake. You can't do that. You can't have a huge savings account if you don't save money. You can't throw the ball for the dog if the dog keeps the ball. You can't have a whole cake and eat the cake both.

I have one of those. :howdy:

Of course, I think most everyone understands what the phrase more or less means. But for it to make sense, there has to be some perceived value to having (or continuing to have) the cake. Otherwise, why would anyone want to have the cake as well as eat it?

That value, best I can tell, is in one of two things. It could just be in continuing to have it so that you can still eat it later. If that's the case the saying loses some of its charm - the specialness of using a cake in the adage is lost. With any consumable you can say you can't consume it and still have it. You can't have your gas and burn it too. You can't have your money and spend it too. You can't have your clothes detergent and use it too. Except, you can use some of it and still have some of it left to use later - just as you can eat some of your cake and still have some of it left to eat later.

So what makes more sense to me and what makes the adage a bit more charming is that the value, in continuing to have the cake, that is being contemplated is visual. Cakes are sometimes considered beautiful. They're often decorated. We sometimes make them paying great attention to how they will look. A lot of effort is put into making wedding cakes, e.g., look good. But once you eat part of a cake - once you cut it up to eat part of it - it loses some of that beauty. So, you don't get to have your cake and eat it to. In eating it you necessarily lose it, to some extent, as something pretty to look at. You've got to decide which you want, to enjoy the taste of it or enjoy looking at it. To some extent, you can't have both.

I do not believe your day was THAT boring.

Mine was. I spent a good 45 minutes trying to decide whether to make a joke about that. But I was thinking of east as a verb - to east a cake - rather than as an adjective. I eventually decided none of the jokes I could come up with were good enough to justify the time I'd spend posting them.

Hijinx

Mine was. I spent a good 45 minutes trying to decide whether to make a joke about that. But I was thinking of east as a verb - to east a cake - rather than as an adjective. I eventually decided none of the jokes I could come up with were good enough to justify the time I'd spend posting them.

Amazing to me is that everyone bit on the cake comment and just skipped over the story.

This woman who says she wants to be a man decides she also wants to be a mother ,so she saves her fertilized eggs---for later use.

That is the point of the article, but evidently no one wants to respond to that. They are busy with the title.
It's ok I guess that no one really gives a damn anyway.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Amazing to me is that everyone bit on the cake comment and just skipped over the story.

This woman who says she wants to be a man decides she also wants to be a mother ,so she saves her fertilized eggs---for later use.

That is the point of the article, but evidently no one wants to respond to that. They are busy with the title.

I did, probably not the way you wanted, but I did.

PeoplesElbow

Not really anyone elses concern if she wants to freeze her eggs and spackle over her cooter

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

My response:

So?

Why do you care about this?

littlelady

God bless the USA
My response:

So?

Why do you care about this?

For the same reason that you started a thread about your nap dream, which was very funny, btw. Members start all kinds of discussions about subjects that interest them, or they find outrageous. Then, members post their opinions, or comments. That is how a forum works, right?

I have to say that when I/you/we think things cannot get weirder, they do. Every day we wake up, there is something more extreme that tops the day before. Such is life, so to speak.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have to say that when I/you/we think things cannot get weirder, they do. Every day we wake up, there is something more extreme that tops the day before. Such is life, so to speak.

Yep, such is life. Stuff that freaked our grandparents out doesn't even register with us, and I wonder what will be normal to my grandson that I :eyebrow: at.

We are a constantly evolving society,

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yep, such is life. Stuff that freaked our grandparents out doesn't even register with us, and I wonder what will be normal to my grandson that I :eyebrow: at.

We are a constantly evolving society,

That is true. I am not sure the way we are evolving is a good thing. We might just evolve ourselves outta here! There has to be some protocol, standard, or rules somewhere along the way. I do think our grandparents/ancestors would be spinning in their graves if they knew. Maybe, they do.