Hey, now we know where the Tackle Box guns went........

glhs837

Power with Control
http://smnewsnet.com/archives/36840...harges-and-trafficking-contraband-cigarettes/

Maybe someone else heard of this, but it's news to me that this guy was caught last year.........

So, 48 stolen guns

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/32228/several-stolen-guns-hit-the-streets-of-st-marys-county/

And it sounds like he actually commissioned the theft, since they took the guns right there, and he was the one who arranged for the sale of them, but it looks like the plea toned stuff down a little. I don't see reference to multiple counts, and I don't see or hear any reference to the onslaught of firearm involved crimes these last three years. I've wondered here quite a few times if all the armed robberies and shootings were being committed with Tackle Box guns, but never any answers. I tyhink it's safe to say with over 40 of them sold onto the streets, it's a fairly safe bet.

So, having been instrumental in whats probably a large amount of the firearm related crime here in the county, including a crapload of federal offenses, I'm sure, WTH did this guy only get sentenced to 6.5 years? Any bets on how long he actually stays locked up? Less than 4 would be my magic number.....

officeguy

This is a federal conviction. No parole in the federal system. He got 78 months, so he'll serve at least 80% of that, 5 years 2 months or so. Still a joke considering the number of counts.

glhs837

Power with Control
That's whats odd, they don't mention multiple counts. Wonder if those got plead away to get him to rat on who he sold the guns to. I can see that as being perhaps the only valid reason to plea anything. Wonder how many of these guns have been recovered.

H

Hodr

Maybe someone in local LE can chime in with the real numbers, but I have always been told that firearms are the most likely thing to be stolen (when present) in a home burglary.

Honestly, 40 (or 48) guns sounds like the tiniest drop in the bucket given gun ownership levels in SoMD. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 times that amount were stolen piecemeal in the last 3 years, heck I personally know of 5 guns having been stolen from co-workers in that time.

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe someone in local LE can chime in with the real numbers, but I have always been told that firearms are the most likely thing to be stolen (when present) in a home burglary.

Honestly, 40 (or 48) guns sounds like the tiniest drop in the bucket given gun ownership levels in SoMD. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 times that amount were stolen piecemeal in the last 3 years, heck I personally know of 5 guns having been stolen from co-workers in that time.

If over 20ish handguns a year are stolen down here, I would be surprised. I think most guns taken in burglaries would be long guns.

H

Hodr

If over 20ish handguns a year are stolen down here, I would be surprised. I think most guns taken in burglaries would be long guns.

You may be correct; 4 of the 5 guns I know of (two separate events) were for hunting, only 1 was a handgun. But the fact that two of the perhaps three total people I have personally talked with about guns/gun ownership in SOMD recently had their guns stolen seemed like a relevant data point to me. But it could just as likely be coincidence. On the other hand, since you can't sell a handgun to a felon, it stands to reason most of the handguns they have are stolen from legal owners at some point.

glhs837

Power with Control
You may be correct; 4 of the 5 guns I know of (two separate events) were for hunting, only 1 was a handgun. But the fact that two of the perhaps three total people I have personally talked with about guns/gun ownership in SOMD recently had their guns stolen seemed like a relevant data point to me. But it could just as likely be coincidence. On the other hand, since you can't sell a handgun to a felon, it stands to reason most of the handguns they have are stolen from legal owners at some point.

I don't have the data to back it up, but anecdotally from just keeping an eye on reported crimes, it seems that there have been a buttload more crimes in St Marys county involving handguns than in the 2010-2012 timeframe. I would love to see a chart as to how many recovered handguns involved in local crimes trace back to that one burglary.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I don't have the data to back it up, but anecdotally from just keeping an eye on reported crimes, it seems that there have been a buttload more crimes in St Marys county involving handguns than in the 2010-2012 timeframe. I would love to see a chart as to how many recovered handguns involved in local crimes trace back to that one burglary.

i'd like to see how a chart depicts a buttload. :killingme