Hey Amish folks

CrashTest

Do you guys vote in elections? Is there anything in the Amish rule books about participating in the political process?

CrashTest

Good point about trying to get the Amish vote in swing states like Ohio and Pa which has lots of them.

I wonder what they'd think of Hillary. We'd probably find out if the Amish Mafia was real or not.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Good point about trying to get the Amish vote in swing states like Ohio and Pa which has lots of them.

I wonder what they'd think of Hillary. We'd probably find out if the Amish Mafia was real or not.

unfortunately those are the more conservative sects. They do not believe in being part of the worldly.
In Pa the Amish will do business with the Mennonites but never the English.

mitzi

unfortunately those are the more conservative sects. They do not believe in being part of the worldly.
In Pa the Amish will do business with the Mennonites but never the English.

How does that explain the Lancaster tourist attraction?

BernieP

Resident PIA
How does that explain the Lancaster tourist attraction?

You don't go onto a real Amish farm or interact with the Amish. Unless you understand the differences, the old order Mennonites get mistaken for Amish.
There is a very interesting museum in one of the restaurant complexes I think in Paradise. It explains the differences between the Amish and Mennonites and the different sects in the Mennonite church.
But in all the years I've been going out to Lancaster Co, and what I've been told, the Amish there are very conservative.
In contrast, there was a show on National Geographic that followed the life of Mose Gingrich, and ex-Amish who lives in Missouri. He went to an Amish community that was doing a barn raising and they let him help, and one person even spoke on film. In Lancaster they do not want to be photographed, it's considered very disrespectful to take their picture, it's a graven image.