Question for the earth moving people

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
The road construction on 4 heading to calvert, right at oak drive and further down. Why are they driving in pretty stout re-bar into the hills? The slope doesn't so bad that grass wouldn't hold the hill. Wouldn't think slope would require a concrete base?

Agee

The road construction on 4 heading to calvert, right at oak drive and further down. Why are they driving in pretty stout re-bar into the hills? The slope doesn't so bad that grass wouldn't hold the hill. Wouldn't think slope would require a concrete base?

Drive-by every week day and wondered the same thing...

I did notice that they filled each hole for the "re-bar" with some sort of concrete prior to the rod going in?

BernieP

Resident PIA

Haven't been that way recently, at least not at a time when I would notice. Which side of RT 4 (NB or SB).

glhs837

Power with Control
Don't know the job but do similar for a living. What are they building? Give me details and I can likely give some reasons.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3061908,-76.5179878,567m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Expanding the eastbound (right side of image) lane of Rt 4 into two travel lanes most of the way to the bridge to stack traffic there instead of out on Rt 235. The area in question is the piece just before the Oak Drive intersection, where it will be three lanes, two travel, one dedicated right turn onto Oak. They are sinking a lot of rebar (think a grid pattern with 3 foot grin squares) into the gentle slope for about 100-200 feet back from Oak. Sticks up about 2-3 feet each piece.

Hannibal

Either more details or I'd have to see it myself (or a pic). If they're widening the road into a hill, it could be several things.

The comment above about "prior to the rebar going in and filling with concrete" seems backwards, but if they earth under the proposed road is in poor shape, it could be reinforned and supported by caissons. Now, you'd typically auger our or drill a void - place reinforcement and THEN pour concrete. This creates, in sense, a pier piling to which the roadway structure could be placed upon. Seems like a lot of work for a widening and there also seems to be other options available. Unless of course the area is general bad (very wet, marshy, etc.).

Another thought was that if the rebar was being "driven" - could it be they are tiebacks for a retaining wall intended to hold back the slope. If the widening would cut into the hillside, they would have to hold back the earth in some manner. Seems excessive (in terms of rebar amount) if they hill is a gentle slope.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
i guess a retaining wall could be what they are doing and these are tie in, LOTS OF THEM!!!! but just down a bit they have put in a wall, preformed stacked concrete that they have just back filled. GUess we'll see... The area is not marshy or wet and it really isn't that tall of a gentle slope maybe 15 feet?

Agee

Either more details or I'd have to see it myself (or a pic). If they're widening the road into a hill, it could be several things.

The comment above about "prior to the rebar going in and filling with concrete" seems backwards, but if they earth under the proposed road is in poor shape, it could be reinforned and supported by caissons. Now, you'd typically auger our or drill a void - place reinforcement and THEN pour concrete. This creates, in sense, a pier piling to which the roadway structure could be placed upon. Seems like a lot of work for a widening and there also seems to be other options available. Unless of course the area is general bad (very wet, marshy, etc.).

Another thought was that if the rebar was being "driven" - could it be they are tiebacks for a retaining wall intended to hold back the slope. If the widening would cut into the hillside, they would have to hold back the earth in some manner. Seems excessive (in terms of rebar amount) if they hill is a gentle slope.

Only get glimpses of the operation when driving by. They had a machine with a hose attached with a long nozzle filling the re-bar holes. All of the re-bar rods are implanted on the slope(s) that lead down to what I assume is a road bed.

Clear as mud huh? Got the picture in my head, sorry I couldn't convey it better with this post...

Hannibal

P
Only get glimpses of the operation when driving by. They had a machine with a hose attached with a long nozzle filling the re-bar holes. All of the re-bar rods are implanted on the slope(s) that lead down to what I assume is a road bed.

Clear as mud huh? Got the picture in my head, sorry I couldn't convey it better with this post...

Most likely a pump truck for the grout/concrete.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Took a look last night before dark, it looks like they are trying to stabilize the hill after digging into it for the road widening project. Looks like a retaining wall near the base. I'm guessing they are trying to prevent mud slides or having the ground shift (with the trees) to keep the road clear.

BOP

I think it's just forking genius of them to widen the road without widening the bridge.

Agee

Suppose to be a "quick fix", that has been in the works for over two years. Yes, the idea is to provide more of a "merge area", but as Bernie P stated: "it isn't going to work", just more area for drivers to run the right lane as long as possible before being let in to the flow of traffic!

We are not going to see bridge/Rt. 4 expansion for quite some time...