Damn, wish I had 3K

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Those are fast-running air cooled gas generators. Not the same level of quality and durability as those diesel gensets.

Exactly. The 25KW Kubota-powered one I just bought is being installed to relieve the 50kw one from it's permanent duties and be relegated to backup status....it's an Isuzu turbo-diesel rig with 24,000 operating hours so far.... The average industrial gas engine is lucky to manage 2000 hours between overhauls. HUGE difference.

And yeah...the property supported by those gennies is totally "off the grid". Muah ha haa.

RPMDAD

Those are fast-running air cooled gas generators. Not the same level of quality and durability as those diesel gensets.

agree you can't compare diesel generators and gasoline generators the diesel engine will last much longer .

officeguy

agree you can't compare diesel generators and gasoline generators the diesel engine will last much longer .

Well, these have already made it through 5000+hrs and are probably good for a couple thousand more. Unrefurbished milsurp generators can be found for a lot less than 3k. There are companies that buy them off the surplus website in lots of 10 and sell them off piecemeal to the end user. Once someone has gone through them, replaced main seals and worn wiring, they can be worth a bit more, but 'raw' as they come off the pallet I wouldn't pay 3k for one.

RPMDAD

I was just asking if 10K would handle all of glhs house, don't know how big his house is.

H

Hodr

Exactly. The 25KW Kubota-powered one I just bought is being installed to relieve the 50kw one from it's permanent duties and be relegated to backup status....it's an Isuzu turbo-diesel rig with 24,000 operating hours so far.... The average industrial gas engine is lucky to manage 2000 hours between overhauls. HUGE difference.

And yeah...the property supported by those gennies is totally "off the grid". Muah ha haa.

Obviously cost isn't usually the driving factor in going off-grid, but have you done any calculations to figure out what you are paying per effective kwh of service (lets peg diesel to $3 for the sake of argument)?

Just curious as to how it stacks up against renewables, which I have a pretty decent handle on.