Oops! I accidentally dropped these highly classified documents in my clothes!

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Sandy Berger "accidentally" steals highly classified documents

They were a couple of draft after action documents. I wonder what was in them. They just happened to accidentally get taken and lost before 9/11 Commission saw them. In addition, Clinton sent him there to approve of what documents. I guess when you disapprove you pocket them.

You know how hard it is to pick up some documents and carry them out of the room thinking they are yours?!? Security rules are simple. No copies, etc... on your person once outside the secure area.

The Archives people say he was putting them in his clothes. How is that accidental?!?!

I wonder if they are filed between Clinton legal billing records and Whitewater documents now?

:lmao:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by FromTexas
Sandy Berger "accidentally" steals highly classified documents

They were a couple of draft after action documents. I wonder what was in them. They just happened to accidentally get taken and lost before 9/11 Commission saw them. In addition, Clinton sent him there to approve of what documents. I guess when you disapprove you pocket them.

You know how hard it is to pick up some documents and carry them out of the room thinking they are yours?!? Security rules are simple. No copies, etc... on your person once outside the secure area.

The Archives people say he was putting them in his clothes. How is that accidental?!?!

:lmao:
:confused: Yeah, I saw excerpts of this story on on "Countdown" with Keith Olberman, and on Fox News this evening. The Feds were going over every inch of his house trying to find the documents.

How in the hell can this be an accident?

He purportedly made some statement to the effect that it was " a sloppy accident on my part".

Come again?:crazy:

Last edited:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:biggrin: Betcha this little incident will land him a speaking role at the Democratic National Convention - right after Hillary gets through introducing her man.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by newnickname
I'm sure thy are in good hands now.

This story is gonna play for weeks now and no one will get any closer to the truth than where it stands now. Whatever documents he wanted gone are now confetti.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Quick! Check Hillary's closet and Vince Foster's old briefcase! We've found interesting documents there before. You'd think that the Clintons would just stop writing anything down and have their people do the same.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Accident - :bs:

No way in hell was this an accident. Berger deliberately removed the documents for some reason, some appear to be still missing, and he now is claiming he didn't realize that he had taken them. :bs:

This makes one wonder what other tidbits disappeared during his tenure with the Clinton administration. I wonder what capacity he will have in the Kerry campaign or is he working towards securing a future pardon should Kerry win.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:cool: From the headline I've read, Sandy Berger has already resigned his position of "informal" politcal advisor to J. Kerry.

He's history, toast.

One has to wonder what or who could have made it so imperative that Sandy visited the Archives vault not once, but twice - for copies of the same document - the Millenium assessment of the Clinton administrations' policy toward Al Queda and Terrorism. Hmmm.

Today on "Crossfire" it was said that the Democreants knew that a criminal investigation against Mr. Berger had been ongoing for months now. Not a peep from them. They were probably waiting for someone else to broach the story so they could claim that the President "leaked" it to the news media.

Naw, it couldn't happen!!

ylexot

Super Genius
Originally posted by FromTexas
The Archives people say he was putting them in his clothes.
I still don't understand this part. If they saw him, shouldn't they say something? I think those people should be brought up on charges too.

Hessian

Here's an insight from New Republic:

DAILY EXPRESS
Turning Tale
by Martin Peretz

"I confess: I do not like Sandy Berger; and I have not liked him since the first time we met, long ago during the McGovern campaign, not because of his politics since I more or less shared them then, but for his hauteur. He clearly still has McGovernite politics, which means, in my mind, at least, that he believes there is no international dispute that can't be solved by the U.S. walking away from it. No matter. Still, here's his story about the filched classified materials dealing with the foiled Al Qaeda millennium terrorist bombing plot from the National Archives: He inadvertently took home documents and notes about documents that he was not permitted to take from the archives; secondly, he inadvertently didn't notice the papers in his possession when he got home and actually looked at them; and, thirdly, he inadvertently discarded some of these same files so that they are now missing. Gone, in fact. One of his lawyers attributes this behavior to "sloppiness," which may better explain his career as Bill Clinton's National Security Adviser and certainly describes his presentation of self in everyday life. But it is not an explanation of his conduct in the archives or, for that matter, at home. Personnel at the archives actually noticed him stuffing his pockets with papers as he left, which is how the FBI found out about this bizarre tale in the first place. Inadvertence, then, doesn't do it either. Maybe Sandy wanted souvenirs from his career in the White House that was punctuated by so many catastrophes for the United States. Nonetheless, he has had ambitions tied to John Kerry's, ambitions that clash with those of Richard Holbrooke and Joe Biden, who decisively do not have McGovernite politics. But Berger did run the Kerry foreign policy team at the writing of the Democratic Party platform a few weeks ago (when the only opposition, easily pacified, came from a handful of Dennis Kucinich loyalists) and has been deeply involved in crafting how the candidate presents himself on these issues. So my question is: Did Berger, who knew that he was under scrutiny since last fall, alert Kerry to the combustible fact that he was the subject of a criminal probe by the Justice Department and the FBI? My guess is not. Kerry is far too smart, too responsible to have kept him around had he known. But if Kerry didn't know, it tells you a lot about Berger, too much, really. A more important question, of course, is: What was contained in the papers that Berger snatched? The answer to that question might answer another. Maybe Clinton's top national security aide didn't want others to see what they documented."

My Take?....
This is clearly NOT an issue of sloppyness...or an indescretion...or even a one-time mistake. This was a pattern of behavior involving deliberate deception, theft, and destruction of government property. Where is the Justice department???? C'mon Ashcroft...take that boy to the woodshed!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Here's an insight from New Republic:

Originally posted by Hessian

My Take?....
This is clearly NOT an issue of sloppyness...or an indescretion...or even a one-time mistake. This was a pattern of behavior involving deliberate deception, theft, and destruction of government property. Where is the Justice department???? C'mon Ashcroft...take that boy to the woodshed!
:cool: Amen, Hessian.

One could grudgingly excuse a "sloppy" individual who "inadvertantly" stuffed classified documents into his pockets and briefcase illegally once - but not a second time, and maybe more. I heard he made 5 visits to the National Archives facility in all.

If this guy is/was that goofy and is the same guy who admittedly treated our nations' top secret data in that manner, how in hell did he get to be National Security Advisor?

The 9/11 commission's findings are that our intelligence before the fact was faulty; is there any doubt that it surely might have been with this guy at the controls of National Security?

Even if he is found guilty but not punished, ie., a prison term, who would want to retain this man in any position in his or her administration?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
maybe he needed some bathroom-reading material and accidentally got some :gossip: on 'em and was embarrassed so tried to cover his crap up. :shrug:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
crabcake said:
maybe he needed some bathroom-reading material and accidentally got some :gossip: on 'em and was embarrassed so tried to cover his crap up. :shrug:
For some reason, and I admit it escapes me at the moment, the last set of documents I would want to bring home for bathroom reading would be Top Secret SCI ones!
Think about it; I know I'm not cut from the same cloth as Sandy Berger is, but I'd be scared $h!tless if I picked up a paper to read when I was on the throne, and it turned out to be one of those! :killingme

Spoiled

crabcake said:
why did you feel the need to bump this old post?

perhaps you saw a funny online or on tv somewhere?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Spoiled said:
why did you feel the need to bump this old post?

perhaps you saw a funny online or on tv somewhere?
No, actually I think she did it to pizz your insipid azz off! :lmao: