Do It Yourself Automotive Shop

DIYauto

Greetings! I'm currently in the process of opening a "Do it yourself (DIY) auto shop in Southern Maryland. I would like to say that I am NOT asking for any financial backing or money. I am asking, however that you email me at DIYauto@hotmail.com if it's something you would be interested in having locally. I use the amount of emails I get as part of my research to determine whether or not I proceed with my business plan. So, if it is something that interest you, make sure you spread the word to everyone. All you have to do is email me and tell me Yes or No or let me know if you want more information on the subject.

Thanks in advance for your input!

officeguy

I would love that. Of course, access to a lift and specialty tools is important nowadays being able to punch some stuff into alldata or looking at manufacturers manuals would be even more important.

What do you propose for a pricing model ? My car fixing projects often sit on jackstands for a week until I get around to wrench some more or until that part I didn't anticipate needing when I started comes in.

There was an effort maybe 20 years ago to get this started, I believe the difficulty obtaining insurance is what kept this pretty limited.

If you want to build this in 'southern maryland', put it in Hughesville. Gives you the largest number of people within a 25min drive.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

When stationed in Germany, there was such a shop on post for us DIY's to do just such a thing. Super glad it was there. Used it bunches. A proper lift is the most comfortable way to work underneath a car, plus that safety thing too.
But why reply by email? I sense something amiss. Why not just get your "feeling" from us here in the forum and talk about it here, or ask us questions? No one is going to steal an idea that has been thought about for many decades.

Oh, and yes, we would like more information on the subject..... please?

Last edited:
H

Hodr

Probably falling on deaf ears, but I think offering classes might be a cool concept.

See a customer with a routine problem, ask them if they have a flexible schedule for repair (maybe only charge them for parts). If so, maybe offer a class for 5-10 people at $40 a piece to instruct them how to fix the problem.

Obviously not intended for things like head gasket change or replacing a clutch, but for CV joints, radiator replacement, timing belt (if its an easier one). Help teach the basics for tool use and how to determine the root cause/problem that needs repair.

My vehicles don't often need repairs, and when they do I don't have time to turn it into a training exercise. Would be nice to be able to drop the kid off for a half dozen classes until he could get comfortable under the hood and able to google whatever he needs to do from then on.

Course the way things are going, in the future everything will be brushless motors and batteries. Car repair might be relegated to electrical/electronics work and body shop stuff.

Justme2

Biggest problem with that is the people that think they are going to fix their car themselves. 1.They get it apart and cannot fix nor repair it or afford to fix it. 2. Get it back together due to broken parts or lack of new parts and or knowledge and or correct tools to do the job in the first place.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I think this is a great idea! Lots of people are capable of working on their vehicles but do not have the space or tools. Good luck if you decide to go forward with it!

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Had these at all the bases I was stationed at and used them all the time. Some even had spray booths and tire mounting/balancing machines.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This idea was kicked around 30 years ago, it doesn't work, there's no money to be made.

There were DIY shops around 30+ years ago. I even used a couple of them back in my college days. But it is a tough business model to make work, apparently, because few if any of those shops survived very long.

There are times when a lift would be handy.

Not sure I'd want to pay out for the insurance if I was an owner. Gotta be pricey.

ltown81

Insurance is near impossible. Insurance companies don't want customers in the shop area, much less doing the work there.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Insurance is near impossible. Insurance companies don't want customers in the shop area, much less doing the work there.

Couldn't there be a waiver signed exempting the owner of any injuries?

glhs837

Power with Control
But all the base shops were subsidized, right?

They were, til I think about 15 years ago, that's when the DOD demanded that all MWR facilities support themselves. That's why the Auto Hobby Shop on base cut hours to just the weekend, and the tools and machines are showing the lack of funds. I think the last new thing they got was the hot tank cleaner, and that was in the late 90s. The workers do what they can, but it's tough.

H

Hodr

This idea was kicked around 30 years ago, it doesn't work, there's no money to be made.

It looks like there was a hobby shop with a full garage on the base. The garage is fenced up and front office apparently hosts jazzercise classes now.

H

Hodr

Couldn't there be a waiver signed exempting the owner of any injuries?

Unfortunately with our litigious society you can have customers sign waivers all day long and you are still liable to be sued. Basically you can't sign away your duty to be responsible and should you contribute to an accident, like letting a blatantly unqualified person operate heavy machinery you own, then you can be sued even if that person signed a paper saying they recognize the risks.

Theme parks have a contract you agree to when you buy a ticket for entrance, says they are not responsible if you get hurt on a ride; but you better believe if a roller-coaster cart goes off the tracks somebody is getting sued.