In case you didn't know it, you should feel offended.

For a highly evolved society so intrigued by and invested in progress, it's funny how such an archaic word -- demeaning women since as early as the 15th century—has managed to stick around.

Sure, feminists, unwittingly and otherwise, have attempted to reclaim it -- bad bitches, rad bitches, bitchin' bitches; and of course, there's Kanye West's ode to his wife in the song "Perfect Bitch," which is loving, I think. But when it comes down to its most common usage, the word has not escaped its derogatory origins, ultimately seeking to keep women down by condemning, basically, that which makes them women.

More questions: Would a guy whose tastes are so mainstream be called basic? What's the male equivalent for "resting bitch face"?

There is no male equivalent, and that's because the B-word is an exclusively female privilege, one that serves to send the message to women that there's nothing you can do with your face, clothes, voice or spare time that can't in some way be portrayed as wrong. Even using the word lightly endorses the idea that ours is a culture dominated by men, even still. Men who hold the power, men who determine what's cool. It gives people permission to judge others, women mostly, on how they look, what they wear, how their voices sound and a variety of other superficial qualities.

At the same time, we can't simply fault men for perpetuating the idea that women are, at the end of the day, mainly worth their weight in hairspray. As both the RBF and "basic bitch" phenomena prove, women are doing just as much of the name-calling as men.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/10/opinions/drexler-rbf/index.html

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

glhs837

Power with Control
I'll accept that, Ithink we could safely say there are two male version of the "b-word"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm tired of crazy people trying to tell me what I should be pissed off and offended by.

luvmygdaughters

I come from a long, distinguished, line of Bitches!!! Always been proud of the title as I have had to work my ass off to claim it. In the workplace, a guy who pushes forward, demands the job be done and shakes things up, is called a real go getter, earth shaker, etc. A woman who does the same thing is considered a ...BITCH.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I come from a long, distinguished, line of Bitches!!! Always been proud of the title as I have had to work my ass off to claim it. In the workplace, a guy who pushes forward, demands the job be done and shakes things up, is called a real go getter, earth shaker, etc. A woman who does the same thing is considered a ...BITCH.

Exactly. When a guy calls you a bitch, you win :yay:

Women... and pre-women... get ready to be butt-hurt! This should offend you!

:rolleyes:

Administrators at Nation Ford High School in Fort Mill told WBTV on Monday that they’ve received complaints over a school dance flier that some have claimed unfairly targets one gender.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/0...e-dress-code-targets-females/?intcmp=trending

“PLEASE leave something to the imagination!” reads a sentence near the bottom. The line is just above a quote from Edith Head, an award-winning Hollywood costume designer from the 1940s to the 1970s: “Your dresses should be tight enough to show you’re a woman and loose enough to show you’re a lady.”

Students and volunteers created the flier, Principal Jason Johns told WBTV.

“There was some perception that it was targeted specifically toward our females and maybe it was seen to hurt folks’ feelings, but that was not the intent at all,” Johns said.

The flier was eventually changed, according to Johns.

“You don’t want to offend somebody if you can avoid it,” he said.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why is it unfair? It's not boys who are wearing as little as they can get away with to show off the merchandise.

"I DEMAND to be treated with respect and not like a sex object. Hey, wanna see my boobs?"

H

Hodr

The thing about feminists is that they don't want to be treated equally to men, they want and expect preferential treatment at every turn.

It doesn't matter that there are probably 10 times as many popular pejoratives for men as there are for women, the fact that there are any at all for women (really just two main ones, right?) means we are all sexist.

It's the same with virtually every argument.

Not enough women in IT (even if that is their own choice)!! But it's perfectly fine that the majority of coal miners, chicken farmers, and garbage collectors, and sewage treatment workers are men.

Women are taught they aren't good at math!! But the overwhelming majority of teachers in grade school are women, especially the early formative years, so who is propagating the myth?

There are more women than men in this country, and in every presidential (and I assume most congressional) election since 1980 more women than men have turned out to vote, the average being more than a 5% gap and sometimes as much as 10%, so who is electing the stodgy old white men?

But women are only paid 77 cents for every dollar a man makes!! Except that when compared job for job, with the same experience and tenure, the gap drops to about 1% and is largely attributed to willingness to bargain for a higher salary when hired.

It doesn't matter who is really at fault, and it doesn't matter if people are actually being treated equally, if they don't agree with the outcome it must be because they are being oppressed.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
For a highly evolved society so intrigued by and invested in progress, it's funny how such an archaic word -- demeaning women since as early as the 15th century—has managed to stick around.

Sure, feminists, unwittingly and otherwise, have attempted to reclaim it -- bad bitches, rad bitches, bitchin' bitches; and of course, there's Kanye West's ode to his wife in the song "Perfect Bitch," which is loving, I think. But when it comes down to its most common usage, the word has not escaped its derogatory origins, ultimately seeking to keep women down by condemning, basically, that which makes them women.

More questions: Would a guy whose tastes are so mainstream be called basic? What's the male equivalent for "resting bitch face"?

There is no male equivalent, and that's because the B-word is an exclusively female privilege, one that serves to send the message to women that there's nothing you can do with your face, clothes, voice or spare time that can't in some way be portrayed as wrong. Even using the word lightly endorses the idea that ours is a culture dominated by men, even still. Men who hold the power, men who determine what's cool. It gives people permission to judge others, women mostly, on how they look, what they wear, how their voices sound and a variety of other superficial qualities.

At the same time, we can't simply fault men for perpetuating the idea that women are, at the end of the day, mainly worth their weight in hairspray. As both the RBF and "basic bitch" phenomena prove, women are doing just as much of the name-calling as men.

It bothers me no end that writers like this are, ostensibly, getting paid to write such bad pieces and I am not getting paid to write good, bad or otherwise. :tap:

First and foremost, 'bitch', female dog. It's simply another version of male/female. ####, hen. Goose, gander. There is NOTHING to the word past that except whatever we'd like to imply or impute about it.

A bitch takes care of her puppies. Protects them. What a bitch! Yeah, so, a 'bitchy' woman isn't to be trifled with. She will bark at you, maybe even bite.
One of lifes great rewards is having a bitch accept you, earning her trust, allow you to pet her, feed her, while she is still wary of others. You want a bitch on your side when you're sick or not doing well. Lassie was a bitch. She helped her pack all the time and woe to those not nice to her pack.

it's just dumb to take this sort of feigned offense and NOT explore it. Isn't it?

Guys are #######s. Now, THERE is a derogatory term. ####### is not 'male dog'. ####### is not someone you'd necessarily want on your side. ####### isn't even someone whose trust you will be happy to earn.

As for 'resting bitch face' I said it to my sweetheart the other day when telling her about troubles with an employee I love but who is dense as a brick sometimes and had ####ed up, again, something he'd tend to do and then be 'bitched' at, by me, in the past. She asked what I was gonna do this time and I said, without thinking, "When I get done giving him my resting bytch face, I'll think of something...". She couldn't stop laughing as I do have one and it is hilarious. So, I don't even concede that a guy can't 'bitch you out' or be in a 'bitchy mood' or be someones 'bitch' (helper, assistant). Now, in some cases, when we're talking guy, when we say 'bitch' we MEAN ####### yet, in some cases, we DO mean bitch in the same sense. I bitched the kid out BECAUSE I like him and WANT him to do well and learn.

Bitch. Name of honor. :buddies: