Glass Bottle Cutting

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Anyone here do this? I have a pretty bottle I'd love to have the bottom cut out of.

bottle.jpg

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
I've done it with a Dremel tool before. Mostly for the top neck. It leaves a really rough edge though. Never concerned me much as I just grind it down on the pavement. You might be looking for something a little more precise.
Lots of youtube vids on the subject.

Attachments

• dremel cut.jpg
    dremel cut.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 564

my-thyme

Patron
The bottle I want cut is not a plain smooth bottle, it's got a swirl texture to it. I was hoping to find someone who has done this before to attempt to cut it.

Don't really want to invest in tools, I'll probably never want a bottle cut again. I'd rather pass a few dollars to someone who already knows what they are doing.

Just saw an ad on TV for Thundersaw, and they show someone cutting the top off a wine bottle.

http://www.thundersaw.com/

Probably a scam, but whatever... might be able to find a similar sawblade in a hardware store or something.

black dog

Free America
Get yourself a " Remgrit " carbide hacksaw blade and do it yourself.
I believe Home Depot sell them. And get someone to help you and spray water on the blade while you are cutting the bottle, it will keep the blade and glass cool.

my-thyme

Patron
Hey! My bottle is still sitting by the kitchen sink, waiting for someone who knows what they are doing to cut it. I'd hate to break it because I don't know what I'm doing, but I'd be OK if it broke while someone who's cut a bottle before was doing the job. Again, it's not a plain bottle, it has a beautiful swirl to it.

I've looked on line, Amazon has some very reasonably priced kits, I just really don't need another hobby.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I cut wine bottles for my wife. You be surprised at the inconsistency in the glass. Things like obvious wall thickness differences from one side of the bottle to the other. It makes using the heat/cold shock method a bit of a challenge.

Pete

Repete
I have done the twine/lighter fluid/cold water method and it worked great the first time. The subsequent tries did not yield the best results.