pet care / dog walking business question

basshawg95

i'm retired Navy, been unemployed for about 9 months now. thinking about ways to generate an income doing something I like,,,and thought about all the times I would have to deploy, and have to find someone to watch my dog.....
anyway, I have a macaw and a dog. I love all animals.....so i'm tossing around the possibility of offering in-home pet care. dog/cat walks, feeding, bird care and feeding.
i'm fishing for suggestions from you all...and sarcasm is expected.
I would like to operate from lex park to prince frederick

Last edited:
If you are going to have access to peoples homes you'll want to be "bonded" or something of the sort. I think it's a much needed service and once you get started you'll probably take on work via word of mouth. This service is a "nice to have" but not a necessity. Make sure you stay affordable because when folks look at expenses they'll need to be able to justify the expense.

Grumpy

i'm retired Navy, been unemployed for about 9 months now. thinking about ways to generate an income doing something I like,,,and thought about all the times I would have to deploy, and have to find someone to watch my dog.....
anyway, I have a macaw and a dog. I love all animals.....so i'm tossing around the possibility of offering in-home pet care. dog/cat walks, feeding, bird care and feeding.

Went thru a few dog walkers before we settled on the one we have now. A few tips.

1) Communicate, leave a note daily, at the very least, Xerox a page you can enter time you were there, length of time, animals played, did their biz..etc..2 walkers we had were offended that we requested a daily report...
2) Don't have someone stand in for you without permission. Had a young woman that had her boyfriend stand in for her without letting us know. - unacceptable
3) Make sure food/water is set up as told daily.
4) As suggested, make sure they are bonded.
5) Be consistent with the times you are there..not 11 one day, 130 the next...
6) On daily note, say something if you noticed animal not acting like its feeling well..or injured(limping)

glhs837

Power with Control
I routinely watch a neighbors dog for her. And as I have three myself, Grumpy is dead on the money, these are the things that would get me to pay, if I were needing this service. Once you have a solid plan, rates, services, that sort of thing, then I would spend some time presenting yourself to local pet shops and vets offices, letting them know what you are doing. I would be pretty sure those sorts of folks would be the people that owners would turn to for advice when seeking such a service. Communication would be the key. No reason not to communicate a lot, unless the owner expresses a wish for that not to happen. Maybe a business FB page, but making that workable might take some effort. I watch my neighbors dog for free, of course, but even so, I make sure to send her the occasional pic of her dog hanging with mine, enjoying walks in the woods, that sort of thing. As a pet owner, it makes me feel better on my travel if I know my pets are enjoying the time I am gone also.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Some suggestions (based on owning a pet related business since 2001):
Get pet 1st aid training. Join PSA (pet sitters of America) and become certified. Become a licensed business, get insured and bonded. Talk to other petsitters; I think there is a local group of petsitters that share information. Most start out doing broad range but quickly learn a range from Lex Park to PF cuts deeply into profits and time. Narrow it down; preferably to the town you live in (Lusby/Solomons for instance) Consider doing over nights- many people want someone to actually stay in their home. Interview people and friends and ask what they would pay. I think the going rate is about $20 a visit. Determine what a visit would entail and how much time you would spend. I could give you a lot more advice/ PM me if you want.

Personally, I have a fantastic pet sitter. However, if I were to lose her, I would only go with (another person or business) that is bonded, insured etc. After all, I am handing someone keys to my house and putting my animals well being in their hands.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Went thru a few dog walkers before we settled on the one we have now. A few tips.

1) Communicate, leave a note daily, at the very least, Xerox a page you can enter time you were there, length of time, animals played, did their biz..etc..2 walkers we had were offended that we requested a daily report...
2) Don't have someone stand in for you without permission. Had a young woman that had her boyfriend stand in for her without letting us know. - unacceptable
6) On daily note, say something if you noticed animal not acting like its feeling well..or injured(limping)

Excellent advice, Grumpy.
As for #6, my determine with client what they should be called about (as opposed to a note) My pet sitter noticed something going on with my Chihuahua mix, Sophie, and she called me. I had to have her euthanized the next day.

KDENISE977

I am new to this service too!! Having a blind dog now who cannot have vaccines I am limited to one that will come to my house. I am going away this weekend for the first time and hiring a girl I know, who has watched my 4 year old (so I trust her in my home) and we are leaving Saturday morning and coming back Sunday afternoon so she'll be coming by at least 3 times during Saturday to feed and let both my dogs out. Then sunday morning to let them out and maybe depending on what time we get back she may need to swing by sunday afternoon. I'm paying her $100.00. She lives in Charlotte Hall about 5 or 6 miles away. I thought that was fair :shrug:

acommondisaster

Great list - the only thing I can think of adding is along with #1 have written instructions for any special care (ie medications) that are required and add in your note that the medication was given and the time.

Roman

Some dogs, and cats might have diabetes. Learn how to give the injections if you don't know already.

Roman

I am new to this service too!! Having a blind dog now who cannot have vaccines I am limited to one that will come to my house. I am going away this weekend for the first time and hiring a girl I know, who has watched my 4 year old (so I trust her in my home) and we are leaving Saturday morning and coming back Sunday afternoon so she'll be coming by at least 3 times during Saturday to feed and let both my dogs out. Then sunday morning to let them out and maybe depending on what time we get back she may need to swing by sunday afternoon. I'm paying her $100.00. She lives in Charlotte Hall about 5 or 6 miles away. I thought that was fair :shrug:
Heck, for that kind of money, I would do it for you! That's pretty darn good.