PGCop Suspended after arrested in Calvert for Domestic Abuse

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
From Calvert Co:

On August 17, 2015 Sgt. Goldsmith and Cpl. McCarroll of the Calvert County Sheriff's Office responded to Gray Inn Court in Prince Frederick for the report of a domestic disturbance. Upon arrival Cpl. McCarroll made contact with Margaret Whitehead and two young children while Sgt. Goldsmith contacted Steven Moure. Deputies interviewed all of the subjects on scene.

The initial investigation revealed that Steven Moure allegedly assaulted his son and his ex-wife during an argument.

Moure was subsequently arrested and transported to the Calvert County Detention Center. Moure was charged with two counts of assault and one count of child abuse. Moure was detained pending his appearance before a district court commissioner. The Prince Georges County Police Department was contacted and responded to the Calvert County Sheriff's Office to conduct an independent investigation into the events that transpired.

From PG Co:

Chief Magaw Suspends Officer After Domestic-Related Arrest

A Prince George’s County Police officer is now suspended without pay after a domestic-related arrest. The Calvert County Sheriff’s Office charged Corporal Steven Moure with two counts of assault and one count of child abuse. The corporal was off-duty at the time of his arrest yesterday.

Our Special Investigation Response Team (SIRT) immediately launched an investigation after learning of the arrest. Police Chief Mark Magaw issued the following statement regarding this incident: “The allegations against Corporal Moure are troubling. Prince George’s County Police officers are expected to behave in a professional manner, both on and off duty. If an officer breaks the law, that officer will be held accountable.”

Corporal Moure has been employed by the PGPD for nine years and is assigned to the Bureau of Administration.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Now, let's see if he is treated just like any other by having his firearms confiscated, and, if convicted, to never have them returned or be allowed to purchase a firearm ever again. What do you think will happen here? But looking him up in case search, he does have some priors.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
There are several ways you can look at this.

First, I wasn't there and I imagine these domestic cases can be rather passionate. Plus, I understand that it doesn't take much to warrant an assault charge. That doesn't justify putting your hands on your wife or kid, but then again he may not deserved to be stoned to death either.

I would be happy if everyone were treated fairly and with the same equality. With the advent of YouTube and all of the videos posted of out of control cops, I think the police departments and courts are on notice that they can't sweep it under the rug any more like the good old days -- the "blue wall" as it is sometimes called.

And just for the record, I look at police like any other cross section of society. Everything falls on a bell curve. You have those that excel, those that suck, and the greater mass somewhere in the middle. What bothers me is when good cops are silent when one of the bullies finally gets caught. Kinda makes them look like they approve off that kind of behavior. I would like to think that were I an officer, I would stand up and say out loud that most of us here are good, hard working people and the actions of these few do not represent the rest of us; we do not condone their behavior.

tommyjo

If I may ...

Now, let's see if he is treated just like any other by having his firearms confiscated, and, if convicted, to never have them returned or be allowed to purchase a firearm ever again. What do you think will happen here? But looking him up in case search, he does have some priors.

The guy is charged with child abuse and assaulting his spouse...and all you are worried about is making a 2A statement???

Seems you need to reorder your priorities.

tblwdc

If I may ...

The guns would only be confiscated if there is a protective order. If he is suspended, Prince Georges County likely has taken his duty weapons. She has not filed for a protective order at this time, therefore any other guns he has wouldn't have been confiscated. He was arrested on the spot. How is he being treated differently other than being suspended from his job without pay? I know plenty of government employees who don't get suspended without pay just because they have been arrested.

tblwdc

T. What bothers me is when good cops are silent when one of the bullies finally gets caught. Kinda makes them look like they approve off that kind of behavior. I would like to think that were I an officer, I would stand up and say out loud that most of us here are good, hard working people and the actions of these few do not represent the rest of us; we do not condone their behavior.

What happened in this case? Wasn't the cop arrested by another COP?

bilbur

It is my opinion that so far he is being treated like anyone else. He was arrested and given a $10000 bail which is substantial based on what I have seen in the past.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The guy is charged with child abuse and assaulting his spouse...and all you are worried about is making a 2A statement???

And rather than provide a response to the subject at hand, you choose to attack someone who responded to the subject at hand.

Nevermind... attacking others IS your only priority.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
The guy is charged with child abuse and assaulting his spouse...and all you are worried about is making a 2A statement???Seems you need to reorder your priorities.
Sure, (huge pile of sarcasm), I could care less about the domestic violence visited upon a child and a woman. The post was about the equal treatment of those given badges and guns called police, as opposed to us serfs called citizens.

The guns would only be confiscated if there is a protective order. If he is suspended, Prince Georges County likely has taken his duty weapons. She has not filed for a protective order at this time, therefore any other guns he has wouldn't have been confiscated. He was arrested on the spot. How is he being treated differently other than being suspended from his job without pay? I know plenty of government employees who don't get suspended without pay just because they have been arrested.
Apologies, I stand corrected.
Maryland Family Law Section § 4-511.
(a) When responding to the scene of an alleged act of domestic violence, as described in this subtitle, a law enforcement officer may remove a firearm from the scene if:
(1) the law enforcement officer has probable cause to believe that an act of domestic violence has occurred; and
(2) the law enforcement officer has observed the firearm on the scene during the response.

I didn't realize a protective order was required. Maybe she will get one? I thought that all defendant owned firearms were confiscated at the charging level on domestic violence cases and disposition made after adjudication. However, I was mainly referring to how he will be treated at the court level.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
This should stir the pot...

Listening to the local news on the radio I thought of this thread when they read the report on air.
It closed with, Prince Georges police were called and proceeded to the station where they assumed an INDEPENENT investigation.

Had to laugh, wondering why they would consider investigating one of their one, "independent". I would think the Calvert County Sheriff and States Attorney, along with the MSP would be more in line with "independent".

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Well, it seems his ex was recording the whole encounter. Doesn't look like a "he said, she said". And since it occurred in his house, shouldn't all, if any, firearms located/stored in his house been confiscated?

PG officer arrested.

tblwdc

If I may ...

Well, it seems his ex was recording the whole encounter. Doesn't look like a "he said, she said". And since it occurred in his house, shouldn't all, if any, firearms located/stored in his house been confiscated?

PG officer arrested.

Your link isn't working for me, but if there is not a protective order, the police can't confiscate the firearms.