Do Most Apartment Complexes Do This Now?

Restless

Our daughter got her first apartment earlier this year. She has a short-term lease which is up on Oct. 12th. She and her roommate were just told they have to give 60 days notice that they are leaving. Sixty days?! It has been over 30 years since we rented an apartment but always had to give only 30 days notice. The girls failed to read their contract carefully and didn't realize this. Now they have to pay an extra $400 for staying an extra week so they can give their 60 days notice.

The apartments are in Lexington Park, very nice, new, but they nickel and time you to death. They have to have the carpets professionally cleaned even though they are living there just five months before they move out. You also have to pay for pool use whether you use it or not. Back in the day, we didn't even have to clean the carpets, just vacuum them. That was the apartment managements job if it needed it. We always got our security deposit back because we left the place just as clean as when we moved in. My how times have changed. I feel sorry for young ones today just starting out. It is so expensive!

PeoplesElbow

Our daughter got her first apartment earlier this year. She has a short-term lease which is up on Oct. 12th. She and her roommate were just told they have to give 60 days notice that they are leaving. Sixty days?! It has been over 30 years since we rented an apartment but always had to give only 30 days notice. The girls failed to read their contract carefully and didn't realize this. Now they have to pay an extra $400 for staying an extra week so they can give their 60 days notice.

The apartments are in Lexington Park, very nice, new, but they nickel and time you to death. They have to have the carpets professionally cleaned even though they are living there just five months before they move out. You also have to pay for pool use whether you use it or not. Back in the day, we didn't even have to clean the carpets, just vacuum them. That was the apartment managements job if it needed it. We always got our security deposit back because we left the place just as clean as when we moved in. My how times have changed. I feel sorry for young ones today just starting out. It is so expensive!

Vaccum good and rent a rug doctor, most cases that will work just fine. I got my deposit back, my lease stated that and all I did was vaccum but the carpet looked just fine so I didn't bother.

Restless

Vaccum good and rent a rug doctor, most cases that will work just fine. I got my deposit back, my lease stated that and all I did was vaccum but the carpet looked just fine so I didn't bother.

I wish they could do that but they have to turn in the receipt showing it was done professionally.

Hannibal

Speaking of apartments, another "new" thing has come to my attention. Maybe I just never knew it existed.

We are in the process of selling and building. At some point, there is going to be a period of time where my house will be sold and the new biuld is not ready so we will need to find a place to live short term. Thought about parents but that isn't necessarly appealing to anyone involved. Most house rentals are 12-months so that is out the question.

Started looking at apartments. Now, for 5-6 months tops, my family and I can live as basic as there is. I am fine with renting a two bedroom unit for our family of 5. Not optimal but the benefit of having one sold house is no mortgage so it's an oppertunity to save some coin to help on the build side. You can find numerous places in the area for $1000-1200/mos that look decent and would satisfy our needs.

However, upon inquiry, these prices aren't valid to my family due to income restrictions. They are income controlled and if you make too much money, you cannot rent there. This is absurd to me. I understand having prices in a range that is affordable to people who don't have high incomes but if a unit is available - it's available.

In talking to a couple of places, I explained my confusion. My wife and I have excellent credit scores. We can satisy all lease requirements (security deposits, first/last, etc). I can give all the personal references they need to convey we are decent people who want destroy their property, etc. I am simply looking to go "budget" for a short term while they finish constructon.

No go. We may too much money (and we are far from wealthy). You would think that a landlord/firm would welcome us with open arms. Nope. WTF?

Restless

Did you check out Abberley Crest? That is where my daughter lives on a short-term lease. I think her rent is around $1500. They did raise the monthly rent because it was a short-term lease. A warning though - they will have so many extra fees for this and that. Also they require a 60 day notice to vacate which was my original reason for posting.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Welcome To Maryland!.....Where they not only nickel-dime you do death, they tell you how you are to spend those nickels and dimes.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I wish they could do that but they have to turn in the receipt showing it was done professionally.

the answer to your question is yes, a lot of places that want to be considered high end rentals are going to do things like that.
Lesson learned, READ THE CONTRACT BEFORE YOIU SIGN.

FED_UP

Yep, they should have read that in the contract, very important piece of information I always look at, but no I never had to give a 60 day notice, yep things are changing. Economy affects this if you ask me, they want more to find someone to keep the cash coming in.

If this is spyglass- get a lawyer- the requests for cleaning fees and refusal to give back the deposit wont stop. A lot of people have been screwed by them. Its silly to not read the lease, and ask tons of questions only to later realize you're screwed, but now its a learning experience. If they demand your daughter use 'their cleaning service' to the tune of $X - shes beyond screwed. She'll pay that money and they will still find a reason to not give back the deposit. Oh yea- then there will be a 'fine' for not cleaning to their specs. Spyglass is a racket thats taken advantage of many. I think too many people feel too stupid to admit it tho- so the news isnt quite out there. If this isnt spyglass- then yea, I guess all apt complexes around here just suck now. Nickle and dime- wildewood apt is famous for that too- so good luck getting out into some place decent.

vince77

I'd bet the 60 day notification and professional cleaning of the carpets is right in the lease. Live and learn. I see nothing here that a lawyer will or could help you with.

Restless

If this is spyglass- get a lawyer- the requests for cleaning fees and refusal to give back the deposit wont stop. A lot of people have been screwed by them. Its silly to not read the lease, and ask tons of questions only to later realize you're screwed, but now its a learning experience. If they demand your daughter use 'their cleaning service' to the tune of $X - shes beyond screwed. She'll pay that money and they will still find a reason to not give back the deposit. Oh yea- then there will be a 'fine' for not cleaning to their specs. Spyglass is a racket thats taken advantage of many. I think too many people feel too stupid to admit it tho- so the news isnt quite out there. If this isnt spyglass- then yea, I guess all apt complexes around here just suck now. Nickle and dime- wildewood apt is famous for that too- so good luck getting out into some place decent.

No, it is not Spyglass. I have heard they are pretty picky and there are lots of extra fees.

Restless

I'd bet the 60 day notification and professional cleaning of the carpets is right in the lease. Live and learn. I see nothing here that a lawyer will or could help you with.

Yep, it is all in the lease. Lesson learned for all of us - we wished we had gone with our daughter to look at the lease before she signed it. We didn't want to be helicopter parents.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Relatively new to renting out the in law apartment attached to our home. 1st tenant broke the lease at 9 months of a one year lease with 2 weeks notice. In the lease, it says we can keep the deposit if he breaks the lease in less than a year. Because of his job, we agreed to go month to month after the year. We anticipated having the place rented for approx. 18 to 20 months. Giving us 2 weeks notice did not leave a lot of time to find a tenant on the 1st on the next month and consequently the apartment is empty for a month.

I gave the new tenant a copy of the lease to read. A few days later, we sat down together and went over it line for line and she understands we have the right to keep her deposit (equal to a months rent) if she breaks the lease like the other tenant did. Like the 1st tenant, her job here will end in about 18 to 20 months and we wrote in the lease that we will go month to month after the year. (it was verbal with 1st tenant)

I am not even sure the 1st tenant kept the signed copies of the lease we gave him. I don't think he had any idea what he signed! We are not trying to rip anyone off but have the anticipation of having an additional $XXX worth of rental income for the year.

Lesson to all: read and understand the contract you sign!

frequentflier

happy to be living
was in the contract for my commercial lease. lesson learned here too. oh well.

The lease on my current store was 42 pages. I hired a lawyer and negotiated several items out of it. Scarey $hit esp when the first store I rented for over 5 years was a handshake agreement!