Selling my boat. What are my options?

Hannibal

Figured this was as good a place as there was to solicit information.

I've decided to sell my boat (1991 Parker 2110) as part of our plan to move. Boattrader seems pretty expensive and fairly tough to navigate. I worry that a perspective buyer would need to be very specific in what they want (make, model, year, etc) in order for them to actually land on my boat. Craigslist is better but it comes with a need to navigate through scam emails and those who simply want to kick tires or good for a free ride via the cover of a "sea trial."

Is there a place a bit more simple that would be marketed to semi-local people? It's a good boat and I am looking for a quick/easy sale. Just not sure where I should place it outside of boattrader or Craigslist.

Thanks in advance.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I agree with GW...an ad in SOMD classified would be a good start. That model (and Parker's in general) are well regarded in this area. What year/make/model engines? Trailer?

Hannibal

I agree with GW...an ad in SOMD classified would be a good start. That model (and Parker's in general) are well regarded in this area. What year/make/model engines? Trailer?

Boat is a 1991 Parker 2110. 21-foot cuddy cabin with a walk around. Repowered (before I bought) with a 2003 Envinrude 225HP (max allowed HP). Lots of stuff done to the boat since I got it (custom hard top, new wood work/trim, etc). Trailer is a 1984 Loadrite. We redid it with rollers and such when we got it (2010) but it's still old. Might pass inspection. Might not. It works for me getting from my house to the DNR ramp at the 231 bridge without issues. Planned on replacing it over the winter or next depending on what I needed to do. Point being, anyone buying would be paying for the boat (and not much for the trailer).

h3mech

Figured this was as good a place as there was to solicit information.

I've decided to sell my boat (1991 Parker 2110) as part of our plan to move. Boattrader seems pretty expensive and fairly tough to navigate. I worry that a perspective buyer would need to be very specific in what they want (make, model, year, etc) in order for them to actually land on my boat. Craigslist is better but it comes with a need to navigate through scam emails and those who simply want to kick tires or good for a free ride via the cover of a "sea trial."

Is there a place a bit more simple that would be marketed to semi-local people? It's a good boat and I am looking for a quick/easy sale. Just not sure where I should place it outside of boattrader or Craigslist.

Thanks in advance.

are you a military guy or someone that can get on the base, if so you can park it at the lemon lot

Hannibal

No, I am not (and don't have access). I've thought about doing the whole "side of the road" thing out in front of my neighborhood but I am convinced someone will snag it. Had someone back into my driveway last week and appear to try and line their truck up with the tounge of the boat. After my dog went crazy in the backyard, they pulled off. Could've been unrelated but having it parked somewhere away from my house would make it a far easier task.

No, I am not (and don't have access). I've thought about doing the whole "side of the road" thing out in front of my neighborhood but I am convinced someone will snag it. Had someone back into my driveway last week and appear to try and line their truck up with the tounge of the boat. After my dog went crazy in the backyard, they pulled off. Could've been unrelated but having it parked somewhere away from my house would make it a far easier task.

Invest in a low-cost hitch lock.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/15125814?reviews_limit=9&

Hannibal

I have something similar but never saw them as a real preventative measure. More a deterant which likely helped me out with that truck. But if someone wants it and no one is around, those locks take about 30 seconds to remove with force.

C

Chuckt

I have something similar but never saw them as a real preventative measure. More a deterant which likely helped me out with that truck. But if someone wants it and no one is around, those locks take about 30 seconds to remove with force.

That is if no one is not around.
If someone sees a lock then they realize they have to bring certain things and if I saw someone cutting the lock, I would be suspicious but if someone is just unhitching the trailer then the average person might think they own the boat or are involved in using the boat.

Midnightrider

that one looks like one good blow with a hammer would take it off. You would probably be better off putting one of the U style bike locks through the wheel if you can. But i am with you, if it is out there unattended and someone wantsa it, it will be gone.

Now you could always insure it and then park it for sale