NFL thug indoctrination

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Some sage advice from HOFer Carter. Bonus points for having Warren Sapp up there with you. Too bad WS didn't have a fall guy when he was beating up on women. I bet Ray Lewis is glad he got this advice years ago.

Interesting how Carter's vernacular changes from the way he normally speaks when he's an NFL analyst to how his speech pattern become a lot more street, with incorrect verb tenses. I guess this is what is known as keeping it real.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Some sage advice from HOFer Carter. Bonus points for having Warren Sapp up there with you. Too bad WS didn't have a fall guy when he was beating up on women. I bet Ray Lewis is glad he got this advice years ago.

Interesting how Carter's vernacular changes from the way he normally speaks when he's an NFL analyst to how his speech pattern become a lot more street, with incorrect verb tenses. I guess this is what is known as keeping it real.

Like Hillary keeping it real with her southern and black accents?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Other than the lingo how is this any different than Wall Street? Or any number of daily occurrences in corporate or 'white' America where loyalty is prized above all else?

How many bankers went to jail for the housing melt down? How many went to jail over the tech bubble? Ken Lay? And whom else? How many contractors go to jail in Iraq for shooting up the citizenry? A couple? For probably 1,000's of people shot? All so some politicians wouldn't have to deal with troop shortages? How did BP survive the gulf spill with their 700 some odd violations to the other big producers handful?

We may or may not like the culture, the style but Carter is simply explaining how things work to these guys; whomever brings in the money, whomever is the golden goose needs to be protected. This isn't to excuse breaking the rules. It is to illustrate that it isn't just young, rich, dumb jocks. At least with them, it should be expected.

GregV814

well, lets examine the background a tad....Football is a violent sport. Those who excel are violent. Not many librarians are in the NFL. Added to that young boys, as young as 10-11 uears old are spotted by coaches, in Pop Warner leagues, junior high and high schools...Then college and the pro-sports. They are awarded, rewarded and given large sums of money and fame to be violent. So, what does any of us expect?

The sad part is this. As their flame fades, there are thousands of other thugettes waiting to take their place and then injuries occur. The NFL could stand for NOT FOR LONG or NATIONAL FELON LEAGUE......Yeah, I enjoy Sunday afternoons watching, but the nature of the beast is just that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
well, lets examine the background a tad....Football is a violent sport. Those who excel are violent. Not many librarians are in the NFL. Added to that young boys, as young as 10-11 uears old are spotted by coaches, in Pop Warner leagues, junior high and high schools...Then college and the pro-sports. They are awarded, rewarded and given large sums of money and fame to be violent. So, what does any of us expect?

The sad part is this. As their flame fades, there are thousands of other thugettes waiting to take their place and then injuries occur. The NFL could stand for NOT FOR LONG or NATIONAL FELON LEAGUE......Yeah, I enjoy Sunday afternoons watching, but the nature of the beast is just that.

Based on your argument it is noteworthy how UN violent NFL players are. Of 1700 guys on teams, 1,000's retired, 10's of 1,000's wanting to make it, like mass murders, the very few incidents that happen make the news BECAUSE it is rare. Very rare. How come there isn't a Ray Rice incident a day? The kid at Florida State punching a woman? Should be all the time, yes? It's not. Violent people tend to be repressed people, people who don't have outlets. Gun nuts rarely commit mass murder. They get to shoot a lot and it's out of their system. Football players, college and pro, certainly can be very violent but, by and large, the working out, the playing, they get it out of the system. Add in the counseling, how much they have to lose, they get help as well but being exhausted and beat up all the time tends to mellow a fellow out.

:buddies:

PeoplesElbow

The real problem is that the stars, the ones that have made it to the NFL have been coddled since high school in some cases and definitely in college. There they are handled with kid gloves, they often have a sense of entitlement because all they have ever known is someone going out of their way to give them stuff, to do things for them, to tell them that they are great, then suddenly they take things a bit farther than usual and suddenly nobody wants anything to do with them. They are given first opportunity to register for classes, first opportunity to buy the limited parking permits, they are given their own very nice lounge in the student union, their own very fancy tutoring center and tutors.

I lived in a college dorm with football players, out of a 10 story building their floor was the only one with a television. Guess what happened one evening, one got mad and threw the TV through a wall and then out the window. A couple weeks later they had a new TV (my floor also got a TV for having the highest GPA of the building at the same time). Most of them were fine young men, some a bit boisterous but pack mentality definitely took hold at times. I also remember one doing something in the lobby of the dorm that he wasnt supposed to and then yelling "I can do whatever I want I'm on the football team".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I lived in a college dorm with football players, out of a 10 story building their floor was the only one with a television. Guess what happened one evening, one got mad and threw the TV through a wall and then out the window. A couple weeks later they had a new TV (my floor also got a TV for having the highest GPA of the building at the same time). Most of them were fine young men, some a bit boisterous but pack mentality definitely took hold at times. I also remember one doing something in the lobby of the dorm that he wasnt supposed to and then yelling "I can do whatever I want I'm on the football team".

That pretty much the only act of crazy college behavior at your school for 4 years? Or was there perhaps crazy crap going on at least every weekend by non football players and no one really took note, at all because it wasn't anyone of note? :shrug:

PeoplesElbow

That pretty much the only act of crazy college behavior at your school for 4 years? Or was there perhaps crazy crap going on at least every weekend by non football players and no one really took note, at all because it wasn't anyone of note? :shrug:

Not at all, I was making note of it because no other floor would have gotten their TV replaced. There were windows broken and furniture thrown out the window all the time. There was even a jumper from the 9th floor one night. The point was that the football team got a lot of perks that others did not get and it is part of what builds on the professional athletes sense of entitlement and lack of accountability.

Everyone coveted the football floor having a TV as back then we had to crowd around a TV in the lobby and watch whatever the first person there turned on. I'd like to add this was also right before internet got big (1992-1993) so it was how people knew what was going on in the outside world. Most of us didnt even know hurricane andrew was going on until the student paper printed a piece about it.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not at all, I was making note of it because no other floor would have gotten their TV replaced. There were windows broken and furniture thrown out the window all the time. There was even a jumper from the 9th floor one night. The point was that the football team got a lot of perks that others did not get and it is part of what builds on the professional athletes sense of entitlement and lack of accountability.

Everyone coveted the football floor having a TV as back then we had to crowd around a TV in the lobby and watch whatever the first person there turned on.

Ok, but, how bad is their lack of accountability? They are accountable every single day on the field. Hurt? My high school coaches would move practice 20 yards away from a guy who just blew his knee out and keep practice going while the trainers, in effect, put us in a wheel barrel and took us off to the compost pile. Doing well? Everyone helps you. Get hurt, not playing so good, yesterdays news. Not much sadder than a kid whose greatest days were as a high school hero.

Did stuff get covered up, bad stuff? For sure but it was in proportion to how important you were and that gets more and more narrow every year. Times change. Ray Rice may or may not play again. Adrian Peterson will. One can perform, is accountable, BECAUSE he is still good. The other is off to the compost pile. They KNOW that.
They're accountable in ways the rest of us are NOT. Your career was just beginning after college and has probably done nothing but get better and better. BMOC is lucky, LUCKY to get 4 years playing for pay.

yeah, their are a holes and I can't back this up with stats; I just think there are more a holes per 1,000 in the general population because we all KNOW we have time to recover. Sports hero's, not counting the real dummies who do in fact, Darwin themselves all the time, do not.

:shrug:

PeoplesElbow

Ok, but, how bad is their lack of accountability? They are accountable every single day on the field. Hurt? My high school coaches would move practice 20 yards away from a guy who just blew his knee out and keep practice going while the trainers, in effect, put us in a wheel barrel and took us off to the compost pile. Doing well? Everyone helps you. Get hurt, not playing so good, yesterdays news. Not much sadder than a kid whose greatest days were as a high school hero.

Did stuff get covered up, bad stuff? For sure but it was in proportion to how important you were and that gets more and more narrow every year. Times change. Ray Rice may or may not play again. Adrian Peterson will. One can perform, is accountable, BECAUSE he is still good. The other is off to the compost pile. They KNOW that.
They're accountable in ways the rest of us are NOT. Your career was just beginning after college and has probably done nothing but get better and better. BMOC is lucky, LUCKY to get 4 years playing for pay.

yeah, their are a holes and I can't back this up with stats; I just think there are more a holes per 1,000 in the general population because we all KNOW we have time to recover. Sports hero's, not counting the real dummies who do in fact, Darwin themselves all the time, do not.

:shrug:

Many of them simply live for the moment because that is all that they have ever had to do, why do you think so many pro athletes are broke a few years after retiring or getting cut. I lived with freshman nobodies in the college dorm, they were only somebody because they were told that they would be someone in the future. Freshman did not get much playing time then if any.

The thing that pro athletics does is sometimes puts people that would otherwise just be a dirtbag that lived in the housing projects or the trailer park into situations that they would otherwise not be in, they would be invisible, no fancy jewelry, cars, houses etc. So instead of cleetus smacking his old woman around in the trailer court he does it in the four seasons in front of a bunch of people that are not use to that sort of thing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Many of them simply live for the moment because that is all that they have ever had to do, why do you think so many pro athletes are broke a few years after retiring or getting cut. I lived with freshman nobodies in the college dorm, they were only somebody because they were told that they would be someone in the future. Freshman did not get much playing time then if any.

The thing that pro athletics does is sometimes puts people that would otherwise just be a dirtbag that lived in the housing projects or the trailer park into situations that they would otherwise not be in, they would be invisible, no fancy jewelry, cars, houses etc. So instead of cleetus smacking his old woman around in the trailer court he does it in the four seasons in front of a bunch of people that are not use to that sort of thing.

Right so, in that view, it's certainly no worse than the general population, yes? Plus, it gives 'ol Cleet at least a chance to not be a life long moron.

PeoplesElbow

Right so, in that view, it's certainly no worse than the general population, yes? Plus, it gives 'ol Cleet at least a chance to not be a life long moron.

The general population doesn't do stuff like that, that is if we are talking about lets say the middle 80% under the bell curve. Types like cleetus are on the tail on one end and the mother threasea types are the tail on the oppose end of the bell curve.

The general population doesnt run dog fighting rings, deal drugs, kill someone in an alley after a superbowl party etc.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I have to disagree. Players in the NFL are a mere fraction of the entire population. They have a lot more legal issue per capita for sure.

Well I don't have stats to back me up and it's not something I'm gonna argue unless and until I find something to back it up.

GregV814

well, I guess my opinion was totally wrong. Football players in the NFL are choirboys who are not paid enough and probably knit and play parcheesee with the elderly after hours... Heck, they probably dont drink anything stronger than day old root beer and are kind to kittens.....