Small section of 210 paved with concrete

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
Does anyone here happen to know why they bothered paving that small section of northbound 210 with concrete? It looks like they are about to pave the area in front of it with traditional asphalt, so for whatever reason, just the northbound side of that one hill is now a concrete roadway. What gives? If anything, the area that needs concrete is the north end of the road where all the heavy trucks come/go from the dump...not down before farmington where they stuck it. I'd love to hear why they did this if anyone knows. Not that it's important, but I'm curious.

Miker/t

I don't know why they did it but this afternoon, there are cones sitting on the left side of the southbound side like maybe they're getting ready to do that too.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
I don't know why they did it but this afternoon, there are cones sitting on the left side of the southbound side like maybe they're getting ready to do that too.

Oh goody. Traffic backups in the evening so we can have 1/2 mile of random concrete roadway.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Does anyone here happen to know why they bothered paving that small section of northbound 210 with concrete? It looks like they are about to pave the area in front of it with traditional asphalt, so for whatever reason, just the northbound side of that one hill is now a concrete roadway. What gives? If anything, the area that needs concrete is the north end of the road where all the heavy trucks come/go from the dump...not down before farmington where they stuck it. I'd love to hear why they did this if anyone knows. Not that it's important, but I'm curious.

It may have been done over the winter. During the winter the asphalt sets up in the truck due to the cold.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
it is called white topping ....

the ironic thing is up until the 1990's MD 210 was Concrete
.... covered over with asphalt when the 3rd lane was added

NEWS RELEASE

MAJOR PAVEMENT PROJECT STARTING FOR NORTHBOUND MD 210 IN SOUTHERN PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY

(July 6, 2015) – The Maryland Department of Transportation’s State Highway Administration is beginning a $3.5 million pavement improvement project on northbound MD 210 (Indian Head Highway) in southern Prince George’s County. Crews will apply concrete whitetopping on the travel lanes between Farmington Road and MD 373 (Livingston Road) near the Fort Washington, Friendly and Accokeek areas.

Starting tomorrow July 7 after the morning rush hour, crews will install temporary signs and barrier wall along northbound MD 210 and stripe for temporary lane markings. In order to perform the work under an accelerated schedule, SHA will close one of the three lanes during the project. Traffic shifts on the 1.43-mile section will occur through late August, weather permitting. Crews will work behind concrete barrier, and are permitted to work on site at any time during the week. There may be times when there is no active work as the concrete cures / dries.

Whitetopping is a concrete mixture that will address recurring rutting issues caused by heavy volumes of traffic. It can provide a longer service life and reduce traffic impacts for maintenance. SHA engineers have previously applied whitetopping overlays at the MD 3 / Cronson Boulevard intersection in Anne Arundel County and the MD 355/MD 27 intersection in Montgomery County. Once applied in sections, the concrete mixture must cure until it reaches its maximum pavement strength.

Construction will be performed in three phases. The initial phase allows crews to close the right lane of northbound MD 210; the second phase will close the left lane. The final phase will close the center lane at the approach to Farmington Road, with traffic split to the left and right of the closed lane. The contractor should complete the work by late August, weather permitting.

Cones, barrels, concrete barrier walls and portable variable message signs will guide motorists through the work zone. More than 27,000 vehicles use this section of MD 210 daily; this section of northbound MD 210 was last resurfaced in 1995.

SHA’s contractor is Concrete General, Inc. of Gaithersburg. Those who have questions about this work may contact the SHA District 3 Office at 301-513-7300, toll-free at 1-800-749-0737 or by e-mail at shadistrict3@sha.state.md.us.

In addition to this project, drivers may also encounter mobile or short-term work zones. Click here for a listing of major SHA projects in Maryland. Always expect the unexpected, pay extra close attention and drive slowly through any work zone. Whether it’s a tree trimming operation or a bridge project, be aware when orange is there: Think Orange (the color of construction equipment and signs), stay alert and slow down. Everyone is at risk.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
It may have been done over the winter. During the winter the asphalt sets up in the truck due to the cold.

Nah, they just finished it like last week, and now the asphalt is stripped on either end of it. It's just odd that they choose to do it in such a small area, on only one side of the road, and in that particular location where it was least needed.

Hannibal

Whatever bid comes in the cheapest wins. The RFPs usually specify either.

Not actually. Most contracts dictate what materials are to be placed. There is a price and performance difference between actual asphalt roadway and concrete. Most asphalt on 210 would be a traditional asphalt with a base of 19mm and surface of 12mm. Actual mix would be determined by jurisdiction and most of 210 would be under SHA's rule.

Hannibal

The State uses various roadway section profiles based on use, subgrade and expected life span. Most times, asphalt road is placed in levels with a bigger stone used as base with a top surface layer made up of smaller stone. The top layer is typically 2" and is considered sacrificial as it is milled down and replaced periodically as part of maintenence.

Concrete roadway is more expensive and tends to be more durable over time but doesn't provide you with the mill/overlay option which would allow you to make old road essentially become new. You tend to see concrete on high volume/high weight roadways. Anything potentially experiencing high weight traffic (think military compounds with tanks/rigs needing transport). Large use of dump trucks (210 would apply).

It tends to be used to provide a more durable surface as the continued wear/use of an asphalt road by heavy loads will tend to create ruts in travel lanes or in intersections (it's actually quite soft).

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
The State uses various roadway section profiles based on use, subgrade and expected life span. Most times, asphalt road is placed in levels with a bigger stone used as base with a top surface layer made up of smaller stone. The top layer is typically 2" and is considered sacrificial as it is milled down and replaced periodically as part of maintenence.

Concrete roadway is more expensive and tends to be more durable over time but doesn't provide you with the mill/overlay option which would allow you to make old road essentially become new. You tend to see concrete on high volume/high weight roadways. Anything potentially experiencing high weight traffic (think military compounds with tanks/rigs needing transport). Large use of dump trucks (210 would apply).

It tends to be used to provide a more durable surface as the continued wear/use of an asphalt road by heavy loads will tend to create ruts in travel lanes or in intersections (it's actually quite soft).

Understood, but that doesn't explain this section's location. All of the heavy truck traffic that destroys the road is on the north end, not down where this section of road was re-done. The pavement on this particular stretch of road wasn't even that bad compared with the rest of 210, especially the north end of the road where it's buckled, cracked, and full of pot holes.

SoMdDude

Understood, but that doesn't explain this section's location. All of the heavy truck traffic that destroys the road is on the north end, not down where this section of road was re-done. The pavement on this particular stretch of road wasn't even that bad compared with the rest of 210, especially the north end of the road where it's buckled, cracked, and full of pot holes.

I read it had something to do with it had to be redone to be able to keep holding the weight of cars (in that section or roadway) guess they ran this over it and deemed it needed
to be fixed ..... https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ea326b2047eb93451ea5b59e08a44962&oe=5675ADF8

I live close to 228 and 210 and didnt know about this, came up around the bend to get on 210 at 430am the day they started and bam! complete standstill... i was like great, what moron caused this today lol

SHA Survey Vehicle the main objective of this research study is to examine the effects of trucks equipped with lift axles on pavement and bridge structures on Maryland roadways. In this report, the information presented intends to meet the research objectives outlined by SHA. The report discusses Maryland regulations as they compare to other states’ lift axle policies. Survey results on a state, national, and international level as well as statistical analyses are displayed to draw conclusions about lift axle policies. The report also discusses theoretical approaches and application to assist in summarizing the effects of lift axles on roads and bridges.

Booboo3604

Agreed. I feel so bad for those cars going southbound who have to make the left where all the dumptrucks turn. If I hit that light, I'm guaranteed to hear some poor person bottoming out their car in that lane... Not to mention the amazing speed bumps they have caused in all the lanes...

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
I read it had something to do with it had to be redone to be able to keep holding the weight of cars (in that section or roadway) guess they ran this over it and deemed it needed
to be fixed ..... https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ea326b2047eb93451ea5b59e08a44962&oe=5675ADF8

I live close to 228 and 210 and didnt know about this, came up around the bend to get on 210 at 430am the day they started and bam! complete standstill... i was like great, what moron caused this today lol

SHA Survey Vehicle the main objective of this research study is to examine the effects of trucks equipped with lift axles on pavement and bridge structures on Maryland roadways. In this report, the information presented intends to meet the research objectives outlined by SHA. The report discusses Maryland regulations as they compare to other states’ lift axle policies. Survey results on a state, national, and international level as well as statistical analyses are displayed to draw conclusions about lift axle policies. The report also discusses theoretical approaches and application to assist in summarizing the effects of lift axles on roads and bridges.

Neat. I haven't seen one of those before. I think someone keeping the books got that hill confused with the one up near Wilson drive where the ruts are so bad small children could get lost in them.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
Agreed. I feel so bad for those cars going southbound who have to make the left where all the dumptrucks turn. If I hit that light, I'm guaranteed to hear some poor person bottoming out their car in that lane... Not to mention the amazing speed bumps they have caused in all the lanes...

No kidding, those ruts look like something that belongs down at Budds for a motorcross jump. I see guys trying to ride the top of those all the time, in order to avoid dragging the frame on the hump. Then you have the speed bumps you mentioned, which I recently noticed get progressively worse towards the right hand lane.

And you can always spot the folks that drive on that road everyday, because they'll casually move around in the lane as they drive down the road avoiding potholes well in advance of when you'd actually see them. Left line, right line, center, right line, left....etc. Everyone does it during the week, but on the weekends you can still spot the commuters this way, and by the fact that they get annoyed by anyone doing under 75.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
Well, I got an answer on this one from someone at work. Apparently, this stretch of road was paved for study purposes. They are supposedly going to keep an eye on how it wears over the next year or so, and based on some set of unknown criteria will then decide if the rest of the road should be re-paved like that or not. I guess they choose that section of highway because the paving there wouldn't have as severe an impact to commuters as doing one of the more northern sections would, but still picks up enough traffic to be a viable study location.

I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it's the first explanation I've heard that makes any sense at all.

SoMdDude

Neat. I haven't seen one of those before. I think someone keeping the books got that hill confused with the one up near Wilson drive where the ruts are so bad small children could get lost in them.

I never hit those because I stay in the far left lane up there, I could take the 295 ramp/exit to get over to alexandria but choose to just go to the 495 exit to va, way less traffic at that time of day, most are hitting 295 early in the AM

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Apparently, this stretch of road was paved for study purposes. They are supposedly going to keep an eye on how it wears over the next year or so, and based on some set of unknown criteria will then decide if the rest of the road should be re-paved like that or not. I guess they choose that section of highway because the paving there wouldn't have as severe an impact to commuters as doing one of the more northern sections would, but still picks up enough traffic to be a viable study location.

well they sure laid it down in a Hurry, I was hoping SHA have finally come to its senses and was dumping Asphalt