Looking for help with Heat Pump

Restitution

Hello all,

Was wondering if I could get some advice on a problem I noticed lately with my heat pump system. My home is cooling to the level that my thermostat is set to so it is not an emergency but, I have noticed my outdoor unit acting strangely.

At different times of the day and mostly at the end of the cooling cycle, my unit will cycle on and off multiple times. It is always on for 10-12 seconds and then off for 5 seconds. IT does this several, several times. I hear it every single night at about 11:30pm. It also happens during the day.

I do not know if this is a normal cycle for the system OR if this a problem. Could use some advice before shelling out hundreds of dollars for nothing.

Thanks.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Hello all,

Was wondering if I could get some advice on a problem I noticed lately with my heat pump system. My home is cooling to the level that my thermostat is set to so it is not an emergency but, I have noticed my outdoor unit acting strangely.

At different times of the day and mostly at the end of the cooling cycle, my unit will cycle on and off multiple times. It is always on for 10-12 seconds and then off for 5 seconds. IT does this several, several times. I hear it every single night at about 11:30pm. It also happens during the day.

I do not know if this is a normal cycle for the system OR if this a problem. Could use some advice before shelling out hundreds of dollars for nothing.

Thanks.

Have you had it serviced recently?

Restitution

Have you had it serviced recently?

Sadly no.

We have had issues in the past with the outdoor unit though. About 2 years ago and that was a little over a year after it was installed, we had to have almost half of the outdoor unit replaced because it failed. We got the warranty extended but that just expired 2 months ago. Go figure!

Chris0nllyn

Sounds like it's short cycling. That can, and will, cause it to fail sooner than later.

Check your air filter to see if it's clogged. Have someone check the Freon.

Did someone size the unit properly when you had the new one installed?

Restitution

Sounds like it's short cycling. That can, and will, cause it to fail sooner than later.

Check your air filter to see if it's clogged. Have someone check the Freon.

Did someone size the unit properly when you had the new one installed?

Will check the filter. For the Freon, I assume I will have to schedule a service appointment for that. As for the sizing, it was professionally installed (at a LARGE cost I might add) so I would hope it was properly sized and specified for my home.

I just didn't want to pay someone $300 or $400 to come out and tell me it is normal or it is something really stupid.

morningrain

Shortly cycling can be caused by a system low on refrigerant, a compressor that is having troubles starting, a bad control board, even if the unit is extremely dirty and not getting proper air flow. You really need to have a technician check it out. If your system is a 2009 and newer most manufactures starting providing a parts warranty for 10 years if the equipment was registered, five if not registered. So you might still have a parts warranty on the unit.

Restitution

I had the unit warrantied through the installer. 13 months into it, they had to come out and replace a LOT of things on the outdoor unit. I believe it was all of the electronics on it. I told them that I wanted my 2-year warranty restarted as of that day. After a LOT of complaining they agreed. Now, it is 26 months later and this is happening. Just 2 months past the 2-year warranty!

Needless to say, I am not happy with the manufacturer or the install company!!

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Call Dave Staso from Sta-so-Cool
(301) 904-3936
http://stasocool.com/

He's an electrical engineer and has his HVAC masters. He's meticulous and a good guy. When he looks at it, you'll know exactly what the problem is and he won't charge you a fortune.

Only caveat is that he does this as a second job, so he can only come in the evenings or on weekends. If you can live with that, you'll have good piece of mind that you're not getting ripped off. He is in high demand because of the aforementioned points...

But, first things first, make sure the air filter in the air exchanger in the house is new and clean. These things are all about air flow and static pressures. Also, make sure the outside unit is clear, no high grass or shrubs choking it. Again, air flow is critical to these units. Also, if you have air filters in the air return vents, make sure they are clean. There is one on each floor and most houses probably won't have filters in them.

H

Hodr

I haven't had any issues with my system, but it hasn't been serviced since it was installed when the house was built 9 years ago. Does anyone know a local company that does basic servicing on Trane ACs?

Chris0nllyn

I haven't had any issues with my system, but it hasn't been serviced since it was installed when the house was built 9 years ago. Does anyone know a local company that does basic servicing on Trane ACs?

Any local company is able to service.

Make sure they do a full service. Including cleaning the A-coil and condenser, straightening any bent fins, etc.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

George Hall - Hall's HVAC 301-769-4999